SAMP on Chromebook?

Forum for Non LS-RP related discussion.

Moderators: Game Admins, FM, Senior Lead Admins

dixiesbest

SAMP on Chromebook?

Post by dixiesbest » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:38 am

Hey everyone,

I'm somewhat new to the community. I used to do SAMP roleplay back in 2010 (not on this server) but I'm trying to get back into it so I decided to create an account on here because of some videos I watched on Youtube.

Now on to my real question.

Is it possible to play SAMP on a Chromebook? The game is available on the Google Store but I haven't bought it yet due to the fact that I really just want to play SAMP and all not so much the single player. I literally got this laptop maybe four days ago so I wasn't really aware it didn't run on a Windows OS until it was too late.

Any input or advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Codsworth
Game Administrator
Game Administrator
Ingame name: April_Messer

Re: SAMP on Chromebook?

Post by Codsworth » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:05 am

It's not possible to on the Chrome OS/"remastered" version of the game. You might be able to run Linux on a Chromebook and do it that way (this still requires some work, it's not direct plug and play).

Codsworth
LS-RP Staff Team

Codspie ♡

martinN*
LVL 1 Crook
LVL 1 Crook

Post by martinN* » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:59 am

The only way I see it is trough the Linux integration. I'm trying to run it on my Chromebook as well. Gonna test it these days.

Kendrick_Underwood
British Sicario

Post by Kendrick_Underwood » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Yeah, as the others as said if you setup WINE or one of the many Windows game emulating helpers (that mainly all use WINE) you will be able to do so.

After getting Linux setup, look at https://lutris.net/games/san-andreas-multiplayer/

Or - a remote environment.

martinN*
LVL 1 Crook
LVL 1 Crook

Post by martinN* » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:07 am

Made some research and it looks like linux graphic acceleration is still not there yet, for chromebooks. I guess we will need some time to be able to run games via the linux integration. Right now the only way I see it possible is trough cloud gaming, but it may require some extra fees and really good internet connection.

midwest outlaw
Silver Member
Silver Member
Ingame name: road warrior oli

Post by midwest outlaw » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:37 am

possible but definitely not worth it

martinN*
LVL 1 Crook
LVL 1 Crook

Post by martinN* » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:19 pm

Update:
I found that there is a way to install a fully functional Linux OS in parallel with the Chrome OS on Chromebook devices. That would compensate for the lack of graphic acceleration in the build-in linux integration. So basically you will have a dual boot LInux/Chrome OS on your device. That makes it possible to run SAMP on linux. The question now is: Can your hardware really handle it?

Edit: Here is a guide on the Linux installation:

Return to “Off Topic”