Grammar & You — If you need help with your grammar, read.

Find all sorts of guides created by our community here. Includes guides such as drug use, roleplaying different types of characters, weapons etc.

Moderators: Junior Admins, Senior Lead Admins

Forum rules
The guides you see here have been unofficially created by the players, for the players. LSRP cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any of the content you see here.
Blacks And Hennessy
Fo-Five's N' FN's
Fo-Five's N' FN's
Ingame name: Never Forget Loyalty

Grammar & You — If you need help with your grammar, read.

Post by Blacks And Hennessy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:30 pm

From the desk of Delroy Carlton Witherspoon Ribeiro Wilcox VII, Esq.

One of the most important aspects of a faction is its professionalism and excellence in a variety of subject areas. This includes, but is not limited to, the domination of a digital drug market, the control of a major economic and cultural influence on a populated metropolitan district, the assurance of quality roleplay and character representation on an ultra-realistic level, and the creation of an objective positive opinion of the faction based on a standard of excellence of aesthetic and practical elements of our organization. Ergo, it is of relative importance that we represent ourselves to be intelligent, logical, and pragmatic. One of the multitude of ways we achieve this is through a weighted interest in the perfection of grammatical and spelling practices amongst inducted, associated, indoctrinated, patriated, and other affiliated persons. I thank you in advance for your cooperation and wish the very best to all readers. Hopefully we can gain some clarity and insight into the magical word of linguistics. I now yield the floor to my associate and close friend, Uruquan Agdgdgwngo Uruquan. La voie, la verite, la vie. Vive l'organisation du Wilcox!

Sincerely,
Delroy Carlton Witherspoon Ribeiro Wilcox VII, Esq.

Thank you Mr. Wilcox for such an inspiring opening message. Welcome, everyone! I am here today to deliver a special message as contracted by the administration of our glorious leader! If I could please have a moment of your time, I would like to teach you as much as I can about the proper usage of grammar and spelling and some common errors in those categories. Note that this is not so much as a disciplinary action and instruction of correction but an assistance of the correction of mistakes no fault of your own. I would expect all of my colleagues to correct my mistakes in a similar setting. So please, take no offense and heed the lessons offered, for they may just save your life.

Chapter 1. Ebonics
As a faction primarily consisting of Negro characters and other less intelligent minorities, it is important to represent a realistic knowledge of Negro semantics and diction. However, this does not give excuse to misspell or misappropriate. All words should be spelled properly regardless of the interpretation of pronunciation. Portraying the typical speech qualities of a Negro does not give you an excuse to butcher the English language.

Example #1
Incorrect: A'yo, whaddup dawg? Sup widdhat shit, mofockah?
Correct: 'Ey, yo*, what up dog? 'S up wit' that shit, mofucka?
*"Ayo" is an acceptable substitute

Example #2
Incorrect: Aight niggah, kool sheet dough, knawhatimsayin?
Correct: 'Ight* nigga, cool shit though, know what I'm sayin'?
*"A'ight" is an acceptable substitute

Chapter 2. Apostrophes
Apostrophes are used to represent ownership or the loss of a letter. A special rule, however, designates "its" should not have an apostrophe when the "s" indicates possession.

Example #1
Incorrect: Johns going in the house with Franks dog.
Correct: John's going in the house with Frank's dog.

Example #2
Incorrect: Its much more simple than that. The dog eats it's poop.
Correct: It's much more simple than that. The dog eats its poop.

Apostrophes are commonly misused in slang. Remember that apostrophes should be used to denote the loss of a letter, not a change. In the next example, you will see that using an apostrophe after "somethin'" is appropriate because the letter "g" is being omitted. However, in "gonna" and "finna," "fixing to" and "going to" are shortened by replacing "-ing to" with "na." The letters are not being omitted; they are being replaced.

Example #3
Incorrect: Shit gonna' get real rowdy. I finna' start somethin.
Correct: Shit gonna get real rowdy. I finna start somethin'.

Apostrophes are almost never used when dealing with numbers or individual letters.* Apostrophes should never be placed before an "s" unless it is being substituted for an "i" or indicating possession.
*The rules regarding apostrophes in these situations are constantly being altered. While some may consider it acceptable to use apostrophes in this example, it is generally recommended that you do not for consistency's sake.

Example #4
Incorrect: During the 1970's, I made 10's of thousands of dollars. The 70's were awesome. G's up!
Correct: During the 1970s, I made 10s of thousands of dollars. The '70s were awesome. Gs up!

Chapter 3. Habbo (Ellipses, Hyphens, and Dashes)
Because of our backgrounds, we may have picked up some nasty grammatical habits from other sub par influences. Even if you didn't belong to the phenomenon known as "Habbo Hotel," it is possible that you began typing in ways based on or reminiscent of ex-Hotelers, specifically in the categories of ellipsis, hyphen, and dash usage.

Example #1
Incorrect: You're crazy, man..
Correct: You're crazy, man...

Example #2
Incorrect: Watch out for the-..
Correct: Watch out for the--

Remember! There is a difference between a hyphen (-) and a dash (—, which can be represented by a double hyphens (--) or created using the alt code ALT + 0151) that must be known. A hyphen is used to join words. A dash is used to indicate range, relationships, attributive compounds, a substitute for parentheses, or an interruption of speech. However, a dash can be represented using a hyphen or spaced hyphen ( - ) when the author is unable to easily create the character symbol necessary.

Example #3
Incorrect: I had a brother sister relationship-it wasn't sexual at all-with my ex girlfriend from about 1970-1971.
Correct: (DASHES AVAILABLE) I had a brother-sister relationship—it wasn't sexual at all—with my ex-girlfriend from about 1970-1971.
Correct: (DASHES NOT AVAILABLE) I had a brother-sister relationship - it wasn't sexual at all -* with my ex-girlfriend from about 1970-1971.
*Could also be represented as: "relationship--it wasn't sexual at all--with"

Chapter 4. Numbers
There are a lot of ways to use and represent numbers in writing. While there aren't a lot of specific rules regarding this section, there is a general consensus about what is aesthetically pleasing that should be followed.

Example #1
Incorrect: That's like 21011 dollars!
Correct: That's like $21,011!
Correct: That's like 21,011 dollars!
Correct: That's like twenty-one thousand eleven dollars!

Example #2
Incorrect: My phone number is five five five one two three four.
Incorrect: My phone number is 5551234.
Correct: My phone number is 555-1234.

However, in regards to the last example, if a person is not listing the numbers individually, spelling out the numbers is perfectly acceptable. For example, if you were going to say 555-1234, you could "say" it one of two ways.

Example #3
Correct: Triple five, twelve, thirty-four.
Correct: 555-1234. (Would be said: "five five five, one two three four")

When talking about quantities of objects, you should always spell out numbers with one digit. For numbers with two digits, you can spell them or use numerals.

Example: #4
Incorrect: I only counted 4 oranges.
Correct: I only counted four oranges.

The only rule regarding this is consistency. Whether or spell numbers or use numerals, you should use only one method when dealing with objects in the same category.

Example #5
Incorrect: I only counted four oranges. That makes 32 total.
Correct: I only counted four oranges. That makes thirty-two total.

:arrow: Hey kids! A quick reminder to everyone about an incredibly common spelling error! 40 is "forty," not "fourty!" Drop that "u" and you will be richer! In knowledge!

Chapter 5. Repeating Statements
When repeating the words of another person use quotation marks and commas appropriately.

Example #1
Incorrect: He said I'm going to kill you!
Correct: He said, "I'm going to kill you!"

When paraphrasing the words of another, do not use quotation marks and substitute pronouns correctly. For example, if the statement I was repeating was the same as above, it should be paraphrased as follows.

Example #2
Statement: I'm going to kill you!
Incorrect: He said "he's going to kill you!"
Correct: He said he's going to kill you!

The previous assemblage was humbly endorsed and authorized by the Delroy Wilcox & Associates Drug Organization Syndicate Gang Family & Associates administration and its Commander-in-Chief, Delroy Wilcox
Glock in my bitch purse when we out and about all jokes aside nigga I come and renovate your house can you tell me the difference between a rat and a mouse... He caught two to the throat I was aiming at his mouth the workers in Saks text me when the new shit coming out.

Frosty3712
Gangster
Gangster

Re: Grammar & You — If you need help with your grammar, read.

Post by Frosty3712 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 pm

Helpful

mxrs

Post by mxrs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:07 am

Interesting guide!

Ryan_Trotter
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Ryan_Trotter » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Perfect.

Petros
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Petros » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:53 pm

Great guide.
Image Image

Blurem
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Jaylynn Sherman

Post by Blurem » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:51 am

Woah, first time knowing about the correct spelling of 40, thank you.

Millionaire
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Millionaire » Tue May 05, 2020 10:00 am

You did it well
On if you gon play the boss after you we knockin' down yo brother If he puttin' on

evaru
from Latvia
from Latvia

Post by evaru » Tue May 05, 2020 1:21 pm

Yeah, lot of idlewood dudes need this

TeflonDon
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Post by TeflonDon » Thu May 07, 2020 8:01 pm

This is huge, can't explain how important good grammar is. It makes you that much of a better RPer to be around.

Return to “Player-Created Guides”