"The server keeps reconnecting"

Moderators: Lead Developers, Senior Lead Admins

Redman.
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: someone

Re: "The server keeps reconnecting"

Post by Redman. » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:07 pm

I am going to start banning people from this point on. Post something abso-friggen-lutely dumb and asinine? Out you go.

PS, for the record:
  • Asset warned/banned for 6warnings/2wks
  • Pumkin warned/banned for being a moron
  • nelsondx warned for an absolutely useless spam post
  • codgoblin warned for another absolutely useless spam post
  • Slake warned
  • Merca warned/banned for being another moron
  • IwzzMccall warned for yet another abso-god-damned-useless post.
  • Tazzy warned for another useless post
  • Eleanor K warned for ANOTHER useless post
  • emyy15 warned. Should I say why?
Last edited by Redman. on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emyy15

Post by emyy15 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Senorris wrote:A DDoS can take from a day to a year, so be patient and stop asking.

The staff will give us an answer, eventually. Just go do something else.

A DDoS can take only 3 minutes ( 180s ) to attack, but it keeps the server offline until someone restarts it, and when it's online again, it gets attacked, this can be stopped by closing the port the hacker is using to attack the server. But that's not possible, they surely use port 7777 to attack the server, and closing that port will prevent us from joining the server, also, if there's a new port, you will see it in the server IP after the server.ls-rp.com:xxxx, so they could attack again.

Single thing to do is to wait until they stop (get them jailed asap) and until admins find a way to fix this.

Also, the host also matters, if the host is weak, the attacker doesn't need too many botnets to attack and crash the server, but if the host server is strong, he'll need way more botnets to crash the server.

For example, the attacker has 1000 botnets, that means 1000 internets, let's call it like this, that 1000 internets connect in the same 0,01 second to the server, overflooding the host and messing everything up. Maybe setting a connection limit to the number of players may fix the problem? Because if the attacker attacks with 1000 botnets for example, only 500 ( the number of slots ) could connect, but if the server is half-full or full, there would be less botnets that could connect.

I'm just making theories, I'm not an expert in this, I just hope everything will get fixed.
By the way, I may be new in the community and have little experience of the server, but I used DDoS-ers before (to attack players of DotA so they'll crash, because they used maphack)

The attack is done by IP:Port

There's a forum of hackers, not gonna mention it here, most of you know it, where people sell this thing of programs for a really low price, maybe that's where they get it, they buy it, insert ip, and click Attack. Even a kid of 10 years old could do it, buy it, write info needed, click Attack, no need hacking skills, they are just Script kiddie (how hackers call kids who download programs and "hack" with them.)

Hope you guys figure out it soon, I really wanna play and RP :)

Sorry for my grammar mistakes, hope you guys understood what I said there.

Good luck.

Edit: I know why I have been warned, sorry for my mistake, I'll accept my punishment.
Edit 2: Posted this for my own amusement http://9gag.com/gag/4672639

el_duderino
Civilian
Civilian
Ingame name: Dominic Castillo

Post by el_duderino » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:01 am

emyy15 wrote:I'm just making theories, I'm not an expert in this, I just hope everything will get fixed.

I think you're on to something with this though. Certainly a breath of fresh air from all the mystery this whole DDoS has been shrouded in for the past week.

ethAl

Post by ethAl » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:22 am

Hi, I'm new here and i'm neither banned and my name is correct and my network connection is good and the server keeps reconnecting, any suggestions? Thanks.

KendrickDuckworth
Gold Member
Gold Member
Ingame name: Remove_Kebab

Post by KendrickDuckworth » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:34 am

ethAl wrote:Hi, I'm new here and i'm neither banned and my name is correct and my network connection is good and the server keeps reconnecting, any suggestions? Thanks.

Server is currently down.

redfield88
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Domonic_Grey

Post by redfield88 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:15 pm

emyy15 wrote:
Senorris wrote:For example, the attacker has 1000 botnets, that means 1000 internets, let's call it like this, that 1000 internets connect in the same 0,01 second to the server, overflooding the host and messing everything up. Maybe setting a connection limit to the number of players may fix the problem? Because if the attacker attacks with 1000 botnets for example, only 500 ( the number of slots ) could connect, but if the server is half-full or full, there would be less botnets that could connect.

Unfortunately that's not the way a DDoS is performed. There's several techniques involving DDoS. The most common way is sending large packets via the PING command. The "bots" aren't connecting to the server in the way you are assuming they are. The server could have 500 players without a single slot to join and the server can still be DDoS'd. Infact a full server would make it easier for a DDoS to be accomplished because it already is taking on a huge load with the players.

Antonio_Flaco
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Samuel_Silva

Post by Antonio_Flaco » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Is the server down cause a Ddos or Update?

redfield88
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Post by redfield88 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Antonio_Flaco wrote:Is the server down cause a Ddos or Update?

DDoS.

HeronZG
Gold Member
Gold Member
Ingame name: Aleksandar_Raskovic

Post by HeronZG » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:26 pm

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't want to hassle and cause a flaw war.
Last edited by HeronZG on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emyy15

Post by emyy15 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:42 pm

HeronZG wrote:Why not just blocking connections from the IP range DDoS comes from? I bet it's someone mad because he got banned, then purchased a VPS DDoS-ing the shit out of LS-RP.

Uh, simple, because there are thousand of IPs that are attacking the server.

There is ONE PERSON SENDING THE ATTACK using MORE BOTNETS (INTERNETS).

The botnets are ATTACKING the server, the hacker just SENDS THE ATTACK.

Understood? The IPs come from everywhere

HeronZG
Gold Member
Gold Member
Ingame name: Aleksandar_Raskovic

Post by HeronZG » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:50 pm

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't want to hassle and cause a flaw war.
Last edited by HeronZG on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redfield88
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Post by redfield88 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:12 pm

HeronZG wrote:
emyy15 wrote:
HeronZG wrote:Why not just blocking connections from the IP range DDoS comes from? I bet it's someone mad because he got banned, then purchased a VPS DDoS-ing the shit out of LS-RP.

You clearly don't understand what's happening. Each PC has it's own IP address. That means he'd need to have; let's say 1000 PC's, VPS's or Dedicated Servers.
You see, an IP has it's numbers and it's range. Let's say there are on-going connections from 85.222.333.400 to 85.222.333.450, this means that the range of 85.222.333.400, 85.222.333.401, 85.222.333.402, etc. up to 85.222.333.450 need to be blocked in order to stop the attacks.

No you clearly don't understand what a botnet is. It's not a bunch of PC's on the same network range. It's a bunch of PC's from around the world. All with different IPs.

emyy15

Post by emyy15 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:51 pm

HeronZG wrote:
emyy15 wrote:

You clearly don't understand what's happening. Each PC has it's own IP address. That means he'd need to have; let's say 1000 PC's, VPS's or Dedicated Servers.
You see, an IP has it's numbers and it's range. Let's say there are on-going connections from 85.222.333.400 to 85.222.333.450, this means that the range of 85.222.333.400, 85.222.333.401, 85.222.333.402, etc. up to 85.222.333.450 need to be blocked in order to stop the attacks.

Uh, just saying, the examples you gave, 85.222.333.400, etc. can't be real.

Since the IP looks like this xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx the xxx can't go over 255, learn more before saying stuff that ain't true.

Also, me and redfield88 are right, you are wrong.

The botnets are like slaves and the hacker is the king, the king sends an order to the slaves to attack on a target, understand now?

1000 botnets = 1000 internets that the hacker can use to attack, just ONE hacker does this.

Also, botnets are also called zombies or shells.

One of my friend, he's working for IT now, used to collect as many shells as he could from the internet (there are a lot of public ones posted) also buying shells from other people, so he could use them on his own DDoS booter.

That's how people actually do it, you think 1,000 people will click on the same time to join the server and crash it? lol

Forgot to mention, I believe everyone of you heard about Anonymous, well, they were using Low Orbit Ion Cannon, ALL of them were attacking IN THE SAME TIME, that's how they hacked FBI and such strong sites. That program is for free, but I doubt it has been used against this server, it needs way too many people to crash this server, it needs at least 5,000 people to click on Attack in the same time on the server IP:Port.

AirKid
Ingame name: Victor_Price

Post by AirKid » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Is there any possibilities that the server will work soon ?

Lowpayne911
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Lowpayne911 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:28 am

Damn, LS-RP has seen better days. What a shame, I'll pray for you guys :p

Return to “Announcements Archive”