Pokémon Shield / Sword

Moderators: Game Admins, Senior Lead Admins, Other Games Moderators

stally
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Pokémon Shield / Sword

Post by stally » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:24 pm

Pokémon Sword (Japanese: ポケットモンスター ソード Pocket Monsters Sword) and Pokémon Shield (Japanese: ポケットモンスター シールド Pocket Monsters Shield) are the primary paired versions of Generation VIII. The games will be released on the Nintendo Switch.

Announced on Pokémon Day, February 27, 2019 at 9 pm JST during a worldwide announcement through Nintendo Direct, the paired versions are to be released worldwide in Late 2019.

Anywho, that's all the information for now. Way too early-review from me, I guess. I can't claim to be a Pokémon expert, but I'll give my own thoughts as to spark some discussion or whatever.
Map design: Once again, they did the same mistake as Sun & Moon. Massive, but also useless cities that are just there for no reason. I'm mostly talking about the two in the middle, and the one slowly above it, and not the one above the snow road, because that one seems to be the Pokémon League. Regardless, I feel whoever designed the map is way out of touch with the way a Pokémon map should be. Massive, sprawling cities are, proven by past iterations of them in the franchise, useless, and there is only one or two buildings you'd actually want to stop by - they evoke the exact opposite of the feeling of being "comfy", and suffer from over-production, whereas a small, comfy town, or any medium-sized town with a theme to it, for example, Slateport in Hoenn, would be much preferable. Also, the map's a straight fucking line. No comment.
Lack of Pokémon: This is going to be an assumption, but I assume it to be right. So far, they have shown three new Pokémon, the starters. This tells me nothing more, nothing less, that they're gonna add 30 new Pokémon instead of actually making a new "gen", and just recycle the National Dex, AGAIN, and re-use the last 800 Pokémon. Once again, I don't know what I expected from this dev-team, but more and more, they keep showing how dumb they are for committing the same mistake while attempting to start new "gens", ever since Black 1&2.

I can't think of much more, but anywho, leave your thoughts, first impressions below or something. I'll try to keep this thread updated as more and more updates about the game come out.

Kayayday
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Re: Pokémon Shield / Sword

Post by Kayayday » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:44 pm

I have to agree with you on the large cities point. Playing X&Y was a bit of a mess because some stuff required you to go to the big city. You did what you had to do then left, only to return when the plot told you to do so. It's a waste of time.

Ashley
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Re: Pokémon Shield / Sword

Post by Ashley » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:59 am

It has caught my attention, it must be said. I played the Pokemon Let's Go iterations on the Switch and the gameplay was very enjoyable, even if it did feel like a "Lite" version in places ahead of the main RPG announcement this year.

I have high hopes for the mechanics and the way in which they are looking to take the game forwards - even if this region and it's design / the pokemon are not going to meet the expectations that a lot of us have moving forwards.

Return to “Other Games Archive”