1. Modern-day gangbanging
3. Old members/OGs
4. Females within a gang.
Modern-day gangbanging isn’t like the 1990s where there were daily shootouts and daily murders. At the current time of age, gang banging is all about having a bond and a family with your fellow locals from the same neighborhood. Many people fail to realize that it’s not all about rivalry, gang bangers are humans too. Gang bangers have heart and they care about their community, during this time and age most gangs organize stuff for their community, especially for the kids that come from a low-income family. Most people believe that’s it's all about selling drugs, fighting, shooting, tagging, and causing trouble when in reality it’s not, it’s about having a community environment and building long term relationships with your fellow members. Gang bangers aren’t always posted until late night, most have careers they chase. Every character should have their hustle to show off a unique character since you don’t want to be the same as everyone else, you need something that lets your character stand out from the rest and actually be known for its hustle. The media tends to only show the negative side of gangs when they actually organize a lot of stuff for their community. Most gang bangers tend to be role models within their community and most actually have a goal to become a role model. Many have the mindset to make it out of the hood and not die at a very young age. Another good example is the confusion between crips and bloods not being good with each other, it's actually quite normal nowadays to have friends from different areas and different gangs, many people go to school with people from different gangs and build relationships together. Most gangs don’t want to draw attention to their neighborhood with shootouts even though it does happen, it’s not a normal thing.
Many people with their characters forget to actually show a character, actually show their character’s emotions and it’s development towards becoming a gang banger. A lot of people who gang bang have unique stories on why they decided to join gangs whether it’s wanting power, a family, or having money, it doesn’t matter, it’s all about being unique. Somebody who joins a gang doesn’t instantly become a cold-blooded person, it takes time, you don’t shrug off a shootout or being shot at, that stuff follows you around. How you roleplay around that is up to you, it’s all about being creative and actually standing out.
Many forget that you're a human, you have emotions, you're not coldblooded/emotionless. Gangbangers have a family too, gangbangers have kids too. They have actual girlfriends too. They care about them, it's not all about their lifestyle. Many people that roleplay a gang tend to forget those aspects and just shoot, sell drugs, shoot... Have a unique hustle that your character specializes in and actually have an IC goal set for your character, as in something he wants to achieve in life.
An OG nowadays isn’t just a shooter from their neighborhood, it’s most likely a very old person from that gang who’s barely active. I’ll use an example and use a tio(uncle) in the Hispanic culture as an example; it’s very normal for gang bangers to come from a family of gang bangers who’ve been part of different gangs since not all people sign up for the same gang, and not every gang lasts forever. It’s quite normal for an uncle to actually tell it’s nephew his stories about his old times' gang banging and with that trying to educate his nephew in a good way. Most OG’s contribute to their community by hosting events and the most common one is opening community centers for the young kids.
Many female roleplayers forget that they’re roleplaying females and they tend to actually roleplay very manly/emotionless. It’s not common for a female to be coldblooded such as females, or for females to be brave enough to step up to a male and risk getting beat up badly, although most females do have a big ego they still have emotions. Not all females gangbang, it’s normal for a female to be a normal hang around/local and simply have a boyfriend that’s part of the gang that she sticks around with. Gang banging is mostly for the brave and confident, and not all females are like that.
Social media is also a very popular thing within the female gang bangers, often flashing money, drugs, guns, and throwing up gang signs on video. Females care more about their appearance than men and you could show that off with very simple roleplay done like checking your make-up, etc...
TIPS FOR ROLEPLAYING A CONVINCING FEMALE(PM me if you made these tips)
- Think about stuff like how much effort does your character put into her appearance each day? Does she wear make-up? Does she have clear skin? Does she wear her hair natural or in a weave? How often does she get her nails or hair done? Does she wear designer or knock-off brands? Are her shoes new or dirty? Did she grow up spoiled, or with nothing?
- Think about your character's wants and desires. Does she think she's getting fat? Does she need money to pay her gas? Does she help her family with rent/bills? Does she go to school? Does she want kids someday? If so, what is your character going to do to reach these goals?
- Develop traits. Does your character always chew gum? Does she wear her hair a certain way? Does she pronounce a certain word wrong?
- Roleplay your movements. Flick your hair, tie it up when you see a rival coming, put your hand on your waist, fold your arms when you're mad, slap instead of punch, smack your lips, clap your hands when you're angry.
- Language. Girls speak differently to males, find some typically "female" phrases, and use them. Complain about all men being dogs, call your female friend's bitches or hoes. Anything that creates a more realistic and feminine pattern of speech. Learn proper Ebonics, this will vastly improve how natural your character sounds. You can look this up on youtube and other online forums etc.