How to run SAMP on Linux

Find all sorts of guides created by our community here. Includes guides such as drug use, roleplaying different types of characters, weapons etc.

Moderators: Junior Admins, Senior Lead Admins

Forum rules
The guides you see here have been unofficially created by the players, for the players. LSRP cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any of the content you see here.
Swank.
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: whisper

How to run SAMP on Linux

Post by Swank. » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:46 pm

How To Run SAMP on Linux

Lately I have been receiving a few messages from players asking if it's possible to run GTA: SAMP on Macbook and if so, how?
Here's a sparing and simple method you can follow to be able to play SAMP on Linux.

Note: There might be an issue where you're not using the recommended OS version, please read the descriptions of the software we will be downloading so you can see if your computer is able to run it.

• 1. Have a legit copy of GTA San Andreas for windows. It will come in a .rar or zipped file.
  • 2. Extract the file. "The unarchiver" is pre installed on Mac. Wait for it to finish extracting, it might take a minute or so.
    Place it in a folder just to keep everything organised.
  • 3. You will need to download a program that allows you to run Windows programs on Linux.
    I highly recommend Winebottler since it's free and user-friendly. You may download it by clicking HERE . Stable version is recommended.
  • 4. Once the download is finished, run the .dmg and click and drag Wine and Winebottler into the Applications folder.
  • 5. Now that we have installed Winebottler, go ahead download the latest SAMP client from HERE.
    - Recommended SAMP versions: 0.3.7 & 0.3.DL
  • 6. After downloading the client, locate the SAMP installer and run it with Wine as shown below(click spoiler).
  • 7. Install the SAMP client exactly how you would do on windows. Browse your GTA directory to install the client; this will be under your computer account, follow my steps below(click spoiler) if you're confused.
  • 8. Select the folder that actually contains all the game files.
  • 9. Download GTA SA ASI Loader by clicking HERE.
  • 10. The ASI folder consists of two DLL files: "vorbisfile.dll" and "vorbishooked.dll" These must be placed into your GTA directory and overwrite original "VorbisFile.dll" with ASI loader one.
  • 11. Finally, once you're done with the previously mentioned steps, go to your GTA directory and look for the SAMP client samp.exe. Right-click it and run it with Wine as shown below. You should be all set.

If you're having any troubles feel free to shoot me a forum PM or contact me on discord ($wank#0266). If you're looking for more detailed guides, I'm sure there are already a few available on the internet; mainly sa-mp official website.

Kind regards,
$wank
KZK WH3SP8R // KRAZY KATZ // S/S VARRIO 38ST.

Discord: Swank#3654

Lucius99
Spam Machine
Spam Machine
Ingame name: Lucas Hawken

Re: How to run SAMP on Linux

Post by Lucius99 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:51 am

Very useful! Out of curiosity I might try this on my Raspberry Pi...

Sugo
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Sugo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:49 pm

Does this work on the Catalina OS?

Swank.
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: whisper

Post by Swank. » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:06 pm

Sugo wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:49 pm
Does this work on the Catalina OS?
Should work, give it a try.
KZK WH3SP8R // KRAZY KATZ // S/S VARRIO 38ST.

Discord: Swank#3654

timco1221
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by timco1221 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:31 am

Some Linux Users Problems

Return to “Player-Created Guides”