[Guide] Realistic Character

Find all sorts of guides created by our community here. Includes guides such as drug use, roleplaying different types of characters, weapons etc.

Moderators: Game Admins, Tester Team, Support Team, Senior Lead Admins

Forum rules
The guides you see here have been unofficially created by the players, for the players. LSRP cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any of the content you see here.
dzgapaan
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

[Guide] Realistic Character

Post by dzgapaan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Realistic Character
This guide is about realistic character creation and development which is a very popular topic nowadays. Unfortunately we have a lot of characters who do not have any development. In this guide I'll try to generalize the meaning of character development and how we can have it.

Firstly, the way of thinking, feeling, and behaving is the main reference of Character. Secondly, adding more abilities, gaining something new and becoming better or worse can be counted as a development. So, what is the character development? In my opinion character development is the mission of creating character. You need to create Its history, appearance, mannerisms, feelings, emotions and so on. Do not forget that you need to develop these factors step by step and time to time.

On the other hand you may feel lazy for character development and say that it's not needed at all. Also you may find it funny to have a character with out realistic characterizations and development. Well, it's up to you and it's your right to have a robocharacter.

To sum up, it's your choice to have a realistic character development and it's your choice not too. Personally I believe that having a character development can create more fun. From my point of view having a realistic character with the development is not problematic. It seems to be very hard, but it's not impossible at all. You do not have to be talented and you do not need to be skilful visionary to create a realistic character. You are a human in real life and you have your own feelings, emotions, demands, manners, communication style, appearance , history and development. So, all you have to do is to portray a human in game with your character who has an individual characterizations and development. Just use your imagination and everything will be fine.

In my opinion If you want to have a realistic character then you need to take in account the following factors: History, appearance, communication style, feelings, emotions, demands, mentality, costs, thoughts, abilities, weaknesses and behaviours.

1. History - Where does your character come from? What was your character's environment around him/her? What has your character passed through in his/her life? Has anything interesting happened that could affect on your character's path, decisions, psychology and so on? In short you have to create a background of your character.

2. Appearance - Appearance is an important part of character. How does he/she look like? Appearance does not have to be very beautiful at all times. I know that being gorgeous is cool,but you need to choose the appropriate appearance for your character. For example: If you are a gangbanger then you do not have to look like a Victoria's Secret model.

3. Communication style - Every character has its own communication style. How does your character talk? In my opinion through character's communication style you can explain his/her personality and inner world as well.

4. Feelings, emotions and demands - Feelings, emotions and demands are very important aspects of your character. I think that with out these factors your character will look like a robot. From my point of view they are very necessary for the realistic environment and character development.

5. Mentality and Costs - On earth we have approximately 8 billion humans and each one has its own costs and mentality. So, you have to choose the needed mentality and costs for your character in order to leave the sense of realism.

6. Thoughts - What is your character's thoughts about general subjects? What kind of internal dialogue does your character have? We can't hear or read inner thoughts, but you can make them visible in his/her behaviors. Furthermore, do not forget that mentality and costs have main influence on thoughts.

7. Abilities and weaknesses - In real life we can't find a human who does not have his or her weaknesses and abilities. You need to use your imagination here. It is not hard to create abilities and weaknesses for your character. For example: My character has a fear of needles which can be counted as a weakness. We have a variety of weaknesses and it's up to you what you choose for your character. Same goes to abilities. Does not matter what you choose as abilities of your character as long as you do not break any server rules. You can give a talent to your character in singing, drawing, dancing, playing musical instruments, poetry, writing, sports, criminal activities, business, mathematics, physics, biology e.t.c.

8. Behaviour - What is behaviour? Behaviour is the range of actions and mannerisms. We do not need to explain this with scientific side, but psychological side. Your history, thoughts, abilities, weaknesses, feelings, emotions, demands, communication style, mentality, costs and even appearance must effect on your behaviours.

TO BE CONTINUED
Last edited by dzgapaan on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 123 times in total.

Bloodseeker
sloth
sloth

Re: [Guide] Realistic character

Post by Bloodseeker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:50 pm

perhaps you would like to add, greatest character developers are those that know the past of their character

after all, your future is written is in your past and shaped by your actions today.

Jackpot
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Jackpot » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Reasoning should be very important when making character. I'll put mine as example, this time.
1. Joined swiss armed forces, because of conscription.
2. He liked military life and wanted to see combat, but he wouldn't have chance to see it because Switzerland is neutral, so he joined Foreign Legion.
3. He moved to Los Santos, because you can get fined and thrown into jail for joining foreign forces in Switzerland.

As you can see, there is reasoning behind every action. I made a story with reasoning for every action he did/does, and I am happily playing and developed this char from age of 24 to 36.

Rakatonk
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Jolie_Cooper

Post by Rakatonk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 am

Not only reasoning.
Key actions and moments in your past alter your future.

Take my character (2 examples):
1. Born and raised in a MC -> brother gets her a chopper -> she becomes a lonesome rider / travels between the MCs
2. Was engaged to some guy -> gets raped from a stranger in LS -> Never dates any guys

It's like bloodseeker said:

Bloodseeker wrote:perhaps you would like to add, greatest character developers are those that know the past of their character

after all, your future is written is in your past and shaped by your actions today.

And I developed my character from 18 up to 24. :)

Great guide by the way!
San Andreas Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
Retired Lieutenant Jolie Cooper

Rank does not confer privilege or give power. It imposes responsibility.

Jackpot
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Jackpot » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:23 am

Rakatonk wrote:Not only reasoning.
Key actions and moments in your past alter your future.

Take my character (2 examples):
1. Born and raised in a MC -> brother gets her a chopper -> she becomes a lonesome rider / travels between the MCs
2. Was engaged to some guy -> gets raped from a stranger in LS -> Never dates any guys

It's like bloodseeker said:

Bloodseeker wrote:perhaps you would like to add, greatest character developers are those that know the past of their character

And I developed my character from 18 up to 24. :)

Great guide by the way!

Obviously, like when all my char friends got killed in diopare coup, he got paranoid. With age, past haunts him and he gets even more paranoid and even his left hand trembles.

dzgapaan
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by dzgapaan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:05 pm

Thank you, planning to post more stuff soon.

Elvin_Do
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Elvin_Do » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Crap.

dzgapaan
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by dzgapaan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:06 pm

Elvin_Do wrote:Crap.

Okay. :/

iCracka
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Post by iCracka » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:11 pm

Nice guide.

dzgapaan
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by dzgapaan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:37 pm

Thank you!

dzgapaan
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by dzgapaan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Updated!

Prophet Smokey
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Prophet Smokey » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Great guide man.

dzgapaan
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by dzgapaan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:14 pm

Smokey G wrote:Great guide man.

Thank you!

=CYBER=
=CYBER=
=CYBER=
Ingame name: Thomas Ross

Post by =CYBER= » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:28 pm

Impressive.
Spoiler: show
Nick Ramos - Dead -
David Battaglia - Dead -
Luca Bendeliani - Alive - New York.
Thomas Ross - Alive - Los Santos
Lucky

dzgapaan
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by dzgapaan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:31 pm

Nick_Cyber wrote:Impressive.

And thank you again! You'll need this in your future plans of joining faction. If you know what I mean :D

Return to “Player-Created Guides”