Forum for General LS-RP discussion.

Moderators: Game Admins, FM, Senior Lead Admins

otter
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

2017 Drug Update Q&A #001

Post by otter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:23 am

Hey,

I was originally going to make a big Q&A write-up in the form of one of those development blog post thingy's I was originally going to commit to. I have, since then, realised that making redundant posts when the vast majority of the work I've been doing as of late has only effected the back-end of the script really isn't all that engaging which is why I've avoided putting any posts out. We're about to enter into the second month of 2017 so I figured now would be a good time to hold open up a Q&A thread.

This thread should only contain questions, not discussions. If you want to discuss the answers I've provided to a question - feel free to make a post in the discussion thread. If possible, please keep your questions short & concise. I will close this thread in a day or two and compile all the questions asked & answered into one big post so people can use it as a reference point.

Ask away.

Topiyo
Professor H
Professor H

Re: 2017 Drug Update Q&A #001

Post by Topiyo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:45 am

In the 2017 drug update, what features of the update are based around improving the consumer experience?
Is the drug update mainly focused on manufacturing and dealing?
Along with the update, will drug prices rise/ be enforced to make it a more profittable profession? (Match the inflation in the economy)
If not already; would the staff team ever consider adding rpgish elements to taking narcotics on lsrp to improve consumer demand? If not, will consumer demand be looked into?
Will guidelines be released to showcase how long it will take before narcotics decay? (If that was one of the features being implemented.)
One last corny quote on my way out;
There's a special place in my heart for the ones who were with me at my lowest and still loved me when I wasn't very loveable.
<3 Core

tagtag
The Procurer
The Procurer

Post by tagtag » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:52 am

What negative effects will drugs/addiction have scriptwise?
What will happen to current products?
Will Marijuana also lose strength each day like the other drugs, seeing how it takes time to actually grow in the first place?

ChrisRawr
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by ChrisRawr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:56 am

Will the Fire Department be able to create custom prescription with custom strengths to combat the addiction system?
(i.e. 14mg haloperidol, aspirin, etc.)

Will there be a more accurate way to determine how far in to someone's addiction/dependency is (i.e. /checkaddiction for their level so we can determine how much they need to be /prescribe'd.)

otter
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by otter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:19 pm

Topiyo wrote:In the 2017 drug update, what features of the update are based around improving the consumer experience?
Along with the update, will drug prices rise/ be enforced to make it a more profittable profession? (Match the inflation in the economy)
If not already; would the staff team ever consider adding rpgish elements to taking narcotics on lsrp to improve consumer demand? If not, will consumer demand be looked into?
Will guidelines be released to showcase how long it will take before narcotics decay? (If that was one of the features being implemented.)
Hey,

Thanks for the questions.
In the 2017 drug update, what features of the update are based around improving the consumer experience?
It depends what you're looking for in terms of consumer experience. I'd say that yes, in general - the update is more so focused on the manufacturing and dealing aspect of drug role-play - although that's not to say that the two areas do not go hand in hand. The implementation of cutting agents, more accessible grow ops and production at home will breath more life into an otherwise stagnant market where everyone's trying to push the same product. A consumer can hit up any corner and get the same thing wherever they go which, in some respects, makes the importance of establishing a working relationship with a dealer unnecessary. Now that dealers will be able to cut down their drugs and - in turn - lessen the overall quality of their product (whilst obtaining a greater quantity in return) - there'll be more of a reason for consumers to build relationships with their dealers to ensure they're getting the best bang for their buck. The quality of a drug will dictate how long it remains on the server for and will also have an impact on the perks a player gets from consuming it, so wanting to be sure that the stuff you're getting is adequate in that sense will add a new dynamic to the entire process.
This is an issue that I'm going to tackle alongside Faction Management in the near future: I do not have much information to divulge right now.
I recognise the importance of demand and there definitely needs to be an incentive for players to actually buy drugs because, although in an ideal world everyone would want to buy them for the sole purpose of further developing their role-play, that's not always going to be the case and there will be a significant portion of the player-base that want to get a little more out of it. Naturally, health point bonuses are a good starting point because, like it or not, it does fit into the general culture of the server: it's no secret that conflict as a whole is relatively prominent in people's day-to-day role-play so carrying that perk over from the old system (albeit in a revised state) will in itself open up the market to a certain clientele.

In terms of adding RPGish elements? I'm not a fan and it's not really something I want to consider. I want this update to be tailored towards promoting further quality role-play around narcotics as opposed to providing those who are completely uninterested more of a reason to splash their e-cash on it. As I mentioned above, role-play should be the primary incentive for purchasing drugs so anything more than relatively minor perks is something I want to steer away from. By all means, forward me your ideas as bettering the consumer experience is something I want to look at - I do not, however, want to substitute the overall quality of role-play to appease buyers: adding RPGish components sets a bad precedent.
Yes, that is - again - something that will be addressed in the near future.

otter
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by otter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:34 pm

tagtag wrote:What negative effects will drugs/addiction have scriptwise?
Will Marijuana also lose strength each day like the other drugs, seeing how it takes time to actually grow in the first place?
Hi,
What negative effects will drugs/addiction have scriptwise?
This is a good question and one I do not presently have a decisive answer to. Cramming too many negative effects into the equation will only deter potential buyers. One of the most frequent complaints I get regarding the current iteration of the script is how annoying it is for your health to start dropping out of the blue after taking a pathetic amount of your favourite drug. Addictions in general are an area of frustration for the vast majority of the player-base so my immediate intention is to make it far more difficult for any sort of addiction to be triggered in the first place. Forcing effects on to players is something I am not a fan of so I'm going to keep it to a minimum. My logic is that those who are going to role-play the consequences of drug consumption do not need anything to be shoved down their throats. Those who do not have the intention of adequately role-playing the consequences of drug consumption are not going to start doing so because their screen starts shaking.

If you have any ideas about how negative effects can be incorporated into the script without being too intrusive, feel free to drop me a message - I am more than open to suggestions.
TBD.
Yes.

otter
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by otter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:39 pm

ChrisRawr wrote:Will the Fire Department be able to create custom prescription with custom strengths to combat the addiction system?

Will there be a more accurate way to determine how far in to someone's addiction/dependency is (i.e. /checkaddiction for their level so we can determine how much they need to be /prescribe'd.)
Hey,
Will the Fire Department be able to create custom prescription with custom strengths to combat the addiction system?
I don't want to make the system overly complicated: people already struggle to comprehend how prescription drugs work, making it any more complex would only be detrimental.
I don't want to everything to revolve too much around an arbitrary value. Let's be honest, if you're coked up on meth in real life - popping some aspirin isn't going to make you better within a few days and completely shatter your addiction. Whilst prescription medication will play a part in countering it, I don't want it to turn into something where a player runs into a hospital and says "eh man my addiction is at 502, give me some pills!".

Justus
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Harry Bernard

Post by Justus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Will there be changes to the way it formats above your head when taking/using drugs?
Will there be any sort of limitations for planting weed, as it currently stands most are unrply grown in living rooms without a proper or realistic setup, furthermore it's very hard to actually detect it as in real life a unvented grow farm may produce smells outside the house, perhaps a machine in furniture that vents the smell or is such a thing not planned?
There's no incentive to grow outside at the moment, will this be changed i.e faster growing times outside/in rain possibly? RiskvReward factors?
Will non official faction members be able to buy the materials/seeds needed or will only official factions be able to supply them? If yes then have you any planned controls to ensure they're properly distributed as it seems to be a big issue with weapons and their distribution ingame right now.
Week three blog update?? :mrgreen:
Retired Level 3 Admin, Retired Head of Mappers, Retired Junior Developer

anti globalist
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by anti globalist » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:37 pm

Will there be any new drugs added?
(ex. shrooms, opium.)
Will there be an ability to name drugs yourself when creating/mixing them?
ciulpiau uz flomasterius

Scary Eire
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: The Man Behind The Wire.

Post by Scary Eire » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Will prescription drugs be more available?
Can you use prescription drugs as ingredients for illegal drugs?
Given that there is only one official "gang" at the moment, when others are made official, will there be restrictions on how much drugs they can produce and distribute?
Rookie

raw sylk
Mafia
Mafia

Post by raw sylk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:05 pm

With such a big update coming up, why shouldn't drugs be measured in tenths as well? Is it out of your confort-zone since no one has really updated from the classic The Godfaher RP gamemode drug script before? I personally think that it would make a difference bigger than anything else listed in the update because it would add to realism when either using or selling the drugs. Drug dealers could cut their drugs and sell them as tenths for maximum profit and we wouldn't have to see people snorting grams of cocaine at once.

R.Hout
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by R.Hout » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:39 am

Have you guys considered allowing those who aren't in Official Factions allowed to produce drugs on a much much smaller scale? For example, ounces up to quarter pounds.

SO this question ties into the consumer side of drug RP. Say I have a gram of crack and my character is hooked. He'd naturally break down the gram of crack to get the most use out of it. Are we going to see something new in terms of drug usage?
Daniel Agnato -- Valenti Crime Family
Development Thread
Piacenza Crew

JoshBaum
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by JoshBaum » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:48 am

I'm not sure how the addiction system will work (or if there will be one scriptwise) but will we be able to wipe the addiction upon NC? It's kind of annoying to have to just start on a new character when an admin can't wipe it for you and you consumed all your drugs. Especially when you get a prescription but use it all in a minute because of the amount of drugs you've been taking. Sometimes I want to just start fresh with a new character but I don't want to have to get rid of all my money and stuff which is why I buy a name change.

Hood Star
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by Hood Star » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:50 am

Will there be any new drugs/prescription drugs or drugs to counter drug addiction? The same basic drugs are getting quite old as there's been no addition in a long time.
Example: Shrooms, PCP, MDMA, Suboxone, Xanax, Percocet, Codeine/Promethazine syrup, etc

Will there be any change in the way drugs are displayed in /mydrugs like weight of each slot so people aren't just selling Marijuana (1) or other drugs with no weight value to them? Allowing people to customize their drugs' weight would highly contribute to the realism of drug roleplay selling bigger or smaller bags for different prices rather than a generic value of (1). Also it would be nice to see prescription drugs with a mg value.
Example: Marijuana 0.5g
Gone.

otter
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by otter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:28 pm

Justus wrote:Will there be changes to the way it formats above your head when taking/using drugs?
Will there be any sort of limitations for planting weed, as it currently stands most are unrply grown in living rooms without a proper or realistic setup, furthermore it's very hard to actually detect it as in real life a unvented grow farm may produce smells outside the house, perhaps a machine in furniture that vents the smell or is such a thing not planned?
There's no incentive to grow outside at the moment, will this be changed i.e faster growing times outside/in rain possibly? RiskvReward factors?
Will non official faction members be able to buy the materials/seeds needed or will only official factions be able to supply them? If yes then have you any planned controls to ensure they're properly distributed as it seems to be a big issue with weapons and their distribution ingame right now.
Will there be changes to the way it formats above your head when taking/using drugs?

Not a huge fan of the /ame but it is, to a certain extent, necessary. It really doesn't need to convey all that much information so if I do keep it, it'll just be bare bones.
&
Planting weed outside is actually something I'm filtering out in this script. I'd rather grow operations be done inside in a more immersive environment. Having random cannabis plants dotted around the city / county isn't all that engaging and leaves a lot unaccounted for. I'm currently toying with different ways to add more dynamics to the grow sys.
I plan on having official factions as the primary distributors of ingredients. As I've mentioned before, I may consider adding some to twenty four seven stores too. In terms of ensuring the demand is met? That's something I'll work out with Faction Management.
:roll:

Return to “General Discussions”