A Decade of LS-RP - Environment Mapping (7/12)

Any important server news or announcements will be posted here.

Moderators: Lead Developers, Senior Lead Admins

BuckTheDuck
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: Spook

Re: A Decade of LS-RP - Environment Mapping (7/12)

Post by BuckTheDuck » Wed May 24, 2017 6:46 am

Unity looks Janky as hell, most of those things don't even make sense being there, nearly everything else looks decent I guess though.

Whats with all the people forgetting to take their BBQ's home with them?
kerser is the sickest

ezkNYNE
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by ezkNYNE » Wed May 24, 2017 7:28 am

It's a really, really good job. Environment mods cannot be compared to this due to the limitations that SA:MP objects can give. You do have to remember that you have so much freedom over environment mods that you can set things to perfection. A custom texture, a model, etcetera.
Though, this does not mean that the official environment mapping should be left alone like this. The idea is great, all great, but the execution is a bit poor. You might ask why, but it's just... too perfectly set up. In poor neighborhoods, trap houses are quite a thing, and these are in absurdly bad conditions. You'd imagine that if these places are in such poor conditions, that the nearby park should be almost deteriorating. Now, I'm not saying that it should be a fucking pile of shit in terms of conditions, but it does need a bit of detail that says... "yeah, that's a place in the ghetto. That right there."
Maybe there's a stripped, rusty car left there in the park's background, or maybe there's just trash or teared down fences. You name it.
Maybe there's just car tires thrown around, since these are seen very usually in poor areas or ghettos. Maybe there's just overgrown grass around these parks... why not? These are obvious signs of a park that's not well-kept. Bushes, wild grass, tires, used cigarettes, beer bottles laying around, trash bags, random pieces off of houses or walls (concrete or wood in specific), abandoned furniture... etc. you get the idea.
Ayo? Did i hit a nerve? all u can do is chat shit online bro. bet if we met irl— well you’d not even turn up cuz ur a pussy bro. but still. You know what they say should long winded replies with insults included? it means the preceding comment is true and you’re trying to hide it. dw tho skilla, will be out secret that you love a crack whore u met online xx

The absolute state of LSRP.

Fa Me
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Fa Me » Wed May 24, 2017 7:32 am

Hey,

I'm going to have to agree with Travis on this one. Not only does the environment mapping throughout Willowfield, Ganton, and El Corona feel underwhelming and disappointing, it's unpolished which makes it feel two-dimensional. In fact, It makes me question the amount of effort the staff team and mapping team put into "adding immersion and ambiance to the streets of Los Santos." I'm not trying to belittle the hard work and dedication put forth by the staff team and mapping team, but I felt it could've been better, which ultimately left me feeling unsatisfied.

I like how you guys payed attention to detail whether it be the wheelchair ramp at All Saints General Hospital, the trash riddled throughout the narrow streets of Blueberry, or the addition of the Conference Center Parking Lot. I feel like more effort was put into creating the environmental mods for the metropolitan suburbs of West Los Santos such as Santa Maria, Verona, and Market compared to those in East Los Santos like Willowfield, Ganton, and El Corona.

Hell. Why is their more grass than concrete on the basketball courts? The concrete doesn't even look like grass, it looks like cardboard. Couldn't the benches be placed farther away from the goals? The umbrellas on the benches make the hood feel like a suburban woodland. The park signs don't even come close to the ones found in South Los Angeles/Compton, why are they so modern? People wrote an entire history on Preston Park - it was founded in 2001, not 2012. If you're going to incorporate the park, at least make sure it's accurate. That's like editing the text and changing what someone said in LSRP+.

This is just my opinion which I'm entitled to, I appreciate the effort but not the quality of some aspects of the update.

BigFoe
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Post by BigFoe » Wed May 24, 2017 8:08 am

LaVaughn_Howard wrote:I believe the environment mapping in Ganton, Willowfield and both in El Corona should be removed, until it is possible to recreate them better. Team work between the modders, mappers and faction leaders is needed next time around. Let people immerse themselves more with environment mods that they can update and release publically. No one in El Corona asked for these, and I'm sure no one in Willowfield and Ganton did either.
Can you guys do this ASAP? Y'all just threw stuff together and ruined the enviroment for factions.

Chanel
Queen of Los Santos
Queen of Los Santos

Post by Chanel » Wed May 24, 2017 8:18 am

Everything is lovely except for the Santa Maria Beach pub, it looks like mapping for a party server (no offense) other than that the rest is looking flawless. Can't wait to see everything in game
sell your soul for the hollywood dream / you're going to be the next big thing !

Fa Me
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Fa Me » Wed May 24, 2017 8:46 am

Chanel wrote:Everything is lovely except for the Santa Maria Beach pub, it looks like mapping for a party server (no offense) other than that the rest is looking flawless. Can't wait to see everything in game
It's flawless if you roleplay as a wealthy female socialite/model.

smalls
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by smalls » Wed May 24, 2017 8:47 am

rockshock wrote:I do like the park in El Corona. Except it's put in a knucklehead spot, since theres several factions in El Corona and the park is smack in the middle of one of the gangs turf, Which makes no sense to me, Should atleast be in a neutral place so everyone in that area can use it.
The park was there before your faction even popped up all of the sudden.

Countless effort that has been put into faction environment mods went to shit, I don't find these mappings appealing at all. Thanks for the update though.
sur

Shoot Em Up
Gold Member
Gold Member
Ingame name: NANANAN

Post by Shoot Em Up » Wed May 24, 2017 8:48 am

I really like santa marina bar!

Sergi
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: UNRULY

Post by Sergi » Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 am

I mean I'm grateful for this update and all but regarding the custom mapping that was just added, while I think it looks cool and will bring more passive roleplay, I think it'd been nice to ask the factions roleplaying around the areas if they were OK with it, because, in all honesty, some of the objects look a bit out of place and really kill the vibe. Good job nevertheless

Orren_Diamond
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Orren_Diamond » Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 am

I really thought that the faction leaders were consulted and agreed on these implementations before the official update. I understand know why everyone is upset. First, the least they could do would be to consider faction leaders arguments.

El Vertido
Spam Machine
Spam Machine
Ingame name: revolutionary

Post by El Vertido » Wed May 24, 2017 11:36 am

Fa Me wrote:Hey,

I'm going to have to agree with Travis on this one. Not only does the environment mapping throughout Willowfield, Ganton, and El Corona feel underwhelming and disappointing, it's unpolished which makes it feel two-dimensional. In fact, It makes me question the amount of effort the staff team and mapping team put into "adding immersion and ambiance to the streets of Los Santos." I'm not trying to belittle the hard work and dedication put forth by the staff team and mapping team, but I felt it could've been better, which ultimately left me feeling unsatisfied.

I like how you guys payed attention to detail whether it be the wheelchair ramp at All Saints General Hospital, the trash riddled throughout the narrow streets of Blueberry, or the addition of the Conference Center Parking Lot. I feel like more effort was put into creating the environmental mods for the metropolitan suburbs of West Los Santos such as Santa Maria, Verona, and Market compared to those in East Los Santos like Willowfield, Ganton, and El Corona.

Hell. Why is their more grass than concrete on the basketball courts? The concrete doesn't even look like grass, it looks like cardboard. Couldn't the benches be placed farther away from the goals? The umbrellas on the benches make the hood feel like a suburban woodland. The park signs don't even come close to the ones found in South Los Angeles/Compton, why are they so modern? People wrote an entire history on Preston Park - it was founded in 2001, not 2012. If you're going to incorporate the park, at least make sure it's accurate. That's like editing the text and changing what someone said in LSRP+.

This is just my opinion which I'm entitled to, I appreciate the effort but not the quality of some aspects of the update.
couldnt agree more. they could've atleast made the parks look ghetto.
R.I.P WILLEPWNS

sentimental motherfucker
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by sentimental motherfucker » Wed May 24, 2017 11:48 am

Without any disrespect I'd like to lay out my opinion on the mapping.

First is the hospital. The ramp looks really good and I'd leave it as it is but the crisis center enterance looks just sub standard to such a server. The fence is overused and has no real purpose and having to walk over grass to get to the enterance is just plain stupid. The bench looks totally out of place as if you just wanted to fill out space.
Overall, I'd keep the ramp but the other thing needs work.

I'm indifferent to the Bluebarry maps, but when are you going to stop adding random couches?

The Santa Maria beach bar is very out of place. First of all, the map just looks awful and it resembles a spawn on a freeroam server. Second of all, you've got an official Skinhead gang in the area. Atleast consult with their faction leaders before you add something like this.

The conference center lot just looks like something you'd add so drivers cant just drive over it. If it was up to me I'd lose the fences, they're ugly and overused. In my city there're no fences around parking lots, don't know where you come from, Sergeant.

Crenshaw thing looks ok and it's up to their faction what they add. It's just the random couches that bother me.

El Corona, on the other hand, looks really awful. The hoops are waaay apart, the courts look huge, and the umbrella benches are completly out of place. Naming it El Corona Park is just absurd. It's called Arias Park as far as I know. The Unity map looks like a counter strike map with no real purpose, it's making El Corona look like an industrial zone. Who the hell would put a park right beside a depot? And that's not even a depot by default, it's a train station. It's just useless.

Another random ass couch on the Ganton map. Why is everything on grass? That's not even a real court, it looks like cardboards. Seriously, I've seen better park maps on servers that don't get past 20 players at peak.

SADOC Parole office is the only thing I like.

Seville would look good if you got rid of the umbrella benches, same goes for Willowfield.

tl;dr: you'd do us a favour if removed most of them.

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development
Ingame name: Lucas Foreman

Post by Mmartin » Wed May 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Update
For the time being, the following maps will be temporarily taken off the server to be reevaluated and improved:

Beach bar
Willowfield courts
Seville courts
Ganton courts
El Corona courts & Unity depot

When it comes to maps on LS-RP, we take pride in not going overboard and crazy with them, but instead implement maps that fit the theme and atmosphere of vanilla GTA, maps that blend in well and serve other purposes than just being pretty. Maps often take months on end to go through the process from first being considered to final implementation, because if not done properly, they can damage immersion.

In the spirit of anniversary updates and the amount of work on other projects that were, or are still to be released, we made the mistake of focusing on getting as many maps out for the occasion in a limited time frame, instead of making sure that each of them got the amount of attention it needed to perfect it, so it follows the standards described above. I take full responsibility for that.

I don't mean in any way to discredit mappers who put their effort into the maps, you've done what you could in a tight deadline, we'll work together to see what we can do better next time.

As for the maps which are temporarily removed, we'll give each of them the time it needs and nitpick them all around. We'll also be in touch with people who roleplay in the areas to gather feedback while they're still work in progress.

I'd also like to remind everyone that our goal with the map was to provide better immersion for you. I understand that not everyone will like everything we put out, but remember to be considerate when providing feedback. Constructive posts, as demonstrated in this very thread, is something we can work with and use to improve, while blatant mockery and insulting jokes might not be the best choice if you wish to accomplish anything more than to get a couple laughs from friends.

Return to “Announcements”