[GUIDE] Getting Started

Find all sorts of guides created by our community here. Includes guides such as drug use, roleplaying different types of characters, weapons etc.

Moderators: Junior Admins, Senior Lead Admins

Forum rules
The guides you see here have been unofficially created by the players, for the players. LSRP cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any of the content you see here.
Tracebook
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Michael Trace

[GUIDE] Getting Started

Post by Tracebook » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:17 am

Note: This guide is somewhat outdated in certain aspects. While most of the information here is still relevant, some of it either is not scripted anymore or has been changed. I will try to rewrite or expand upon this within the next month or so.

Los Santos Roleplay Newcomer's Guide

First, welcome to Los Santos Roleplay, hopefully you enjoy your time here. I have decided to create a guide to help the newcomers of the server get started with the server and learn the ropes. This guide should help you getting started with the server.

Table of Contents

I. Forum Directory
II. Spawning
III. Jobs
IV. Transportation
V. Housing
|____________Additional Help___________|
VI. Factions / Organizations
VII. Contact
VIII. Making Money
IX. Being a Good Roleplayer
X. Other / Notes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I. Forum Directory
Your guide to the important topics in the forums of Los Santos Roleplay.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In LS:RP, the forums are your guide to what's happening on the server, they are helpful in many ways and can be very useful at times. The forums are not only for server related things, but they also have an Off Topic section for you to freely discuss any topic you please as long as it complies with the server's rules. You are asked to post any unrelated topics in the designated "Off Topic" section located at the lower half of the forums.

Server Rules) http://forum.ls-rp.com/viewforum.php?f=354
Description: The server rules thread is perhaps the most useful thread on the entire forums, it keep you informed with the current rules of the server and help keep you ban free.

LS:RP Official Teamspeak) http://forum.ls-rp.com/viewtopic.php?f=283&t=194235
Description: The LS:RP Official Teamspeak will help you connect with other players and chat with them using your microphone. This is not necessary but it is useful at times.

Vehicle System Guide) http://forum.ls-rp.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=348140#p4247842
Description: The LS:RP vehicle system guide is a very important guide, it will help you purchase your own vehicle and be on the virtual roads of LS:RP.

Radio Guide) http://forum.ls-rp.com/viewtopic.php?f=283&t=77461#p955117
Decription: Guide to the new radio (Walki-Talki) system. Very useful.

Guide to roleplay) http://forum.ls-rp.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=20036#p191057
Description: An elaborate guide on HOW to roleplay, very useful if you are unsure or new to roleplaying.

For more guides on roleplaying, commands among other things, you can refer to the "Player Related Guides" section!
II. Spawning
A guide for when you first log into the server.
Welcome to Los Santos! You are finally a part of the server! When you first log in, you will notice you are at the Los Santos Airport, OOCly known as the "noobspawn" for obvious reasons. You may notice your character is a clown, do not fear, to fix this you must simply log out of the server and direct your web browser to http://ls-rp.com/?page=profile&select=skin to choose one of the many skins available for your character.

Now, you have your skin. You will also notice that you spawn with a cellphone, accessable by using /call, and some money to help you get started.

Now, when you first log in, you will see an "i" marker to the east, walking into this "i" marker will make text appear on your screen. When you approach this "i" marker type the command "/newspaper" for a list of server information.

III. Jobs
The quickest way to earn money in the server.
What are jobs? Jobs are what your character does to make a living so you can purchase the items you want. It is recommended that you get a job as soon as you sign in so you can get on the wagon and start raking in the e-money.

Great, so you typed "/newspaper", now, you will see a menu appear. What you will do is move down and select "Employment" to bring up the jobs menu. A new menu will appear, showing all of the jobs available to you in the city. Once you have decided what your career will be, just select it. You now need to make your way to the checkpoint shown on your map. But, how are you going to get there? Read on to find out.

You can find out more about available jobs in the Official Guides and Feature Documentation sections.
IV. Transportation
How you will get yourself around the city.
Okay, you have a job, some cash, and a cellphone, but what about getting to the city? There are many ways to get to the city, but I will name just a few below.

Code: Select all

Walking) One of the simplest forms of transportation is walking, no need for gas, money, or a vehicle. You can virtually walk anywhere making it an easy option. A downside of walking is it takes longer than other types of transportation. [*HINT* By default, holding in the Left "Alt" key will actually make your character walk rather than run. *HINT*]

Taxi) Taking a taxi is another efficient way to get around the city. To dial a taxi, simply /call 544. Once you dial a taxi cab you can wait around for a few minutes. If a driver takes your call it will inform you through the text box. Be advised, taking a taxi a long distance may become very pricey and cost you a lot of money.

Bus) Buses aren't the most favorable vehicles to find around, though player who do take on the job usually have route around highly populated areas (Airport, Mall, Idlewood & More).

Car) You may notice that there are some vehicles around, or you may not see any, if there are vehicles, another way to get around the city is either by stealing a vehicle or renting one of the many ones available to you. Buying your own car is very expensive and will take some time before you have enough money to buy one. Vehicles are the fastest way to transport yourself freely around the city. Remember to obey road laws as well.

Moped) Mopeds are THE cheapest ownable vehicle in the server. It is recommended that you buy a moped at first to guide you around the city until you get on your feet. Most mopeds cost $10k to buy, so if you plan to save your money, then you shouldn't buy a moped.

Of course there are other ways to travel through the city, but these are the most commonly used methods to get around.
V. Housing
A place for your character to live.
Now, you've finally made it to the city. But, guess what? You have nowhere to live and the airport is quite a distance to travel to get to the city. Fortunately, LS:RP has a housing system so you do not need to walk from the airport to the city.

Now, since you just started, you won't have enough money to BUY a home, but many houses in the city are rentable. Your job is to find the home you like. Once you've found the home you want, walk to the doorway and search for a "For Sale" text at the door, notice that not all homes have this text, so make sure you find one that has one. Once you make your way to the text marker, it will display the house information. If the house is rentable it will say "To rent a room, type /rentroom. Price: $xxx" If you find the price reasonable and you like the home, type /rentroom and, voila, you have yourself a home!

Now, the main advantages of having a home is to avoid having to make your way to the city from the airport. But, there are a few advantages of renting at a home. An advantage of renting is you can park your vehicle for free by using the command "/v buypark" You must be withing a certain radius of the home to do this command though. Another advantage is that some homes have healing and television upgrades. To heal yourself in a home (if available), all you need to do is type "/heal" and your health will be replenished to 100 HP. Homes also provide areas to RP alone with your friends that you meet. Note that to have the "/heal" command you need to buy a fridge in /furniture and have at least $1500 in your houses cashbox (/myhouse cash deposit *amount*). Keep in mind that pretty much EVERY house is owned by someone, so your best bet is to check the Classifieds section and check the Real Estate that is for sale, you might just find something you like.

Now, you have a home, a skin, and know how to get around. It looks like you are ready to enjoy the server to its fullest. If you want to learn more, please, continue reading, but if you wish to go and enjoy the server, I wish you the best of luck. I hope this guide helped you get started.
Best Wishes,
Vince Lombardi

|___________Additional Help___________|

VI. Factions / Organizations
Meet new people and expand your RP!
What is a faction you may ask? A faction is a group of people who do the same thing, such as a mafia, a police department, or a gang. Joining factions in LS:RP will not only help you make new friends, but it will also expand your RP possibilities in the server and help you do new things.

So, you decided to go the extra mile. Now, you're probably wanting to join a mafia, street gang, or any other type of organization, but wonder how to do it. It's simple, all you need to do is go Here and search for an organization that appeals to you. Once you have found the right one, follow the specific instructions there on how to join. Most will consist of an application of some sort.

Joining each faction has their different ways and means, to join them you must navigate to these following forums and apply there:

Each faction varies on what it does, but most of them are along the same lines, regardless, they expand your RP and introduce you to new people.
VII. Contact
For additional help / comments.
Would you like any further help or just want to comment on the guide? Then do not hesitate to contact me when I am available. I am open to suggestions as well. To contact me, use the following methods:
Forum PM: http://forum.ls-rp.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=4201
MSN: [email protected]

Also, you are welcome to contact me anytime ingame by using the "/pm" command. To see if I am online, use the command "/id Vince_Lombardi" or add me to your friends list. If I am busy, I will tell you, but I am usually available for help.

VIII. Making Money
Your Guide to Success and Wealth
I've noticed that many newcomers always seem to complain that it is too hard to make money in this server which affects their RP, so follow this guide and I will help you get at least $100,000 in a week.

Want to make money? It's actually rather simple. Follow the steps below and you will be rolling in "dough".

1) Don't let money burn a hole in your pocket, don't go buying the best of the best at first, you'll have to work your way up to there.

2) Get a legal job, these jobs will give you pay at payday unlike the car jacker and drug dealer jobs. I'd recommend the Mechanic job.

3) Set a "goal" for your paycheck, let it build it up to $50k before taking it out, keep repeating this and cash won't seem so hard to come by.

4) When collecting your paycheck, put most of it in savings, that way you'll get a percent of it every payday.

5) Don't carry a lot of money on you, carry a maximum of $1,000. Los Santos is a dangerous place.

6) Expensive cars mean expensive insurance, get a cheap car such as an Admiral or a Faggio for your first vehicle.

7) Don't buy a house at first, rent at an apartment. Many of the "wealthy" players have their rent set at $1, check out those ones.

8) Do what your job asks, you're not going to make money by standing there waiting for the money to come. If you're a mechanic, install locks for people, you don't even need a tow truck for that.

9) Put your money in savings, it's a good way to earn it.

10) Don't be shy, get involved with the community, hang out with the wealthy players, they sometimes GIVE out money.

If you followed these instructions properly, I guarantee you will be earning much more money than you have been. Best Wishes, see you on top!

IX. Being a Good Roleplayer
Tips for those who aren't quite sure how to be a good roleplayer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a new player, people will usually refer to you as a "noob", but don't worry, we all were one at one point, some players can get really mean about it but ignore them, they're usually the people who can't roleplay too well themselves. Follow this section's steps to find out how to be a good roleplayer.

The /me Command
It shocks me that so many new players don't know what this is. The /me command simply describes an action that your character is doing. For example:
/me places both of his hands into his pocket.
** Player_Name places both of his hands into his pocket. **
There you go, simple as that, you have just opened the door to endless opportunities of roleplaying.

The /do Command
The /do command is much like the /me command except it can be used to describe something your character is not doing himself but it describes the environment around them or it can be used to reply to a /me command. For example:
/do A large boom is heard and the airbag deploys, Player lays unconscious in the seat.
** A large boom is heard and the airbag deploys, Player lays unconscious in the seat. (( Player_Name )) **

Grammar / Punctuation
One of the most important thing to a lot of players in roleplay is proper grammar and punctuation while roleplaying because if you can't understand what the person is trying to say then it makes it a horrible roleplaying experience and usually leaves both parties unsatisfied.

Capital Letters - The first thing we'll start you off with is capital letters. These will make your sentences look more professional and make it look like a third grader didn't write it.

To-Do's
-Every sentence starts with a capital letter, every time you enter a period a capital letter will follow.

-Names and locations all start with capital letters.

Don't-Do's
-FULL CAPITAL LETTER SENTENCES ARE VERY ANNOYING, EVEN WHEN TRYING TO ADD EMPHASIS IT IS VERY ANNOYING, INSTEAD JUST CAPITALIZE WORDS YOU WANT TO PUT EMPHASIS.

-Capitalizing Every Word In a Sentence Can Also Be Annoying, Please Don't Do This As It Will Expand The Life Of Your Shift Button And It Will Save You Some Time While Typing.

- Try not to randomly place words that shouldn't be Capitalized in the middle of a sentence, it looks weird.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Punctuation Punctuation is also important in roleplaying.
The Period You always add a period to the end of a sentence, periods are used to add a longer pause to your character's sentence.

The Comma Commas are used a couple of ways. The first way is to separate things when you're listing something, for example:
I went to the store earlier and bought some apples, oranges, bananas and pineapples.

Commas are also used to add a short pause to your speaking, for example:
I was walking down the street when the asian man approached me, I looked at him strangely and he moved closer, soon enough he was standing in front of me offering me drugs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contractions I always see a lot of people get confused with contractions, contractions are simply ways to make it shorter to type and to combine two words. There are too many to list here so you can just head over to THIS SITE.
There, Their, They're / Its and It's / Two, Too, and To.
They all sound the same but they all mean something different, I'll list the meanings below.

There
There is used to describe a location, for example:
Put those socks in the dresser over there.

Their
Their is used to describe the possession of a group of people, for example:
The people across the street got into their car and drove away.

They're
They're is a contraction for "THEY ARE", this is to describe an action of a group of people.
They're going to come over our house at 3:00 PM

Its
Its does not follow the rule of the the possessive apostrophe s, but it is infact referring to something someone has. For example:
"The dog began to chew on its bone."

It's
It's is a contraction for "IT IS", you can use this to describe something.
"It's awfully hot outside today, isn't it?"
Two
Two is used to describe the quantity or the amount of something, for example:
"There were two papers on the desk and one of them was ripped."

Too
Too is used two ways (See how confusing it can be?). The first way is to replace the word "also". For example:
"Amef wanted to play SA:MP and Damian wanted to play SA:MP too.

The other example is when you want to describe an excess quantity of something.
There were too many police patrolling to start a street race."

To
To is used in a couple of ways as well, the first way is to describe the way something if the other two don't fit.
"The Native Americans went to the river to bathe."
Quotation Marks
Quotation marks are used to wrap the speech someone did, if you're writing about something that someone said you would use quotation marks, for example:
The man came up to me and said "How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"
After reading this you should be a decent roleplayer in no time, please do keep in mind the regular rules of the server and you'll be all set.

X. Other / Notes
Anything else that doesn't fit.
I thank you for reading my guide and introduction to the server, I hope it is useful and has helped you enter our server without any problems. Welcome to the LS:RP community and enjoy! :D

Note: I will add more when I feel it is necessary, I will post a changelog when I add new things.
NOTE 2: Please tell me if you find any grammar errors or mistakes, I created this at 4 AM, I'm sure there's a load of 'em. ;)

Changelog

7.9.08- Created the Los Santos Roleplay Newcomer Guide
9.22.08- Added the "Making Money Section"
1.28.09 - Added the "Being a Good Roleplayer" guide and added a link to Henrick's job guide.
14.4.14 - Updated broken links (Garrity)
14.4.14 - Added additional factions (DoJ, DoC, SASD, Gov) (Garrity)
14.4.14 - Updated buying a house section (Garrity)
14.4.14 - Removed out-dated items (Garrity)
14.4.14 - Updated jobs section (Garrity)
14.4.14 - Removed "Additonal Rules" due to latest reform of rules (Garrity)
Last edited by Garrity on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:03 am, edited 14 times in total.
Reason: Updated.

Beerman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: [*TO ALL NEWCOMERS*] Getting Started.

Post by Beerman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:31 am

Good work. Keep it updated though. :P

Tracebook
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Tracebook » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:34 am

Of course. I was planning on typing a lot more, but it's like 4:34 AM right now. :P

With that in mind, I'm off to bed. Ciao.

Phill
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Phill » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Nice work Vince.

Alchaine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Alchaine » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:41 am

Holy... Do you have my canoli? That's some good stuff, Vince. It'll be useful for newcomers.

Evan_Gray

Post by Evan_Gray » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Awesome! Thank you, Vince.

Lawrence
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Christopher Manning

Post by Lawrence » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:48 pm

looking good, handy for newcomers.
Not a reserved tester, still trying to help. PM me with anything.

Pavle
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Pavle » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:39 pm

Pretty handy, good job.
Do not post porn on this forum/signature

Jones_Jack
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Jones_Jack » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:20 pm

Well done.
Current Characters:
Patrick Conway
Rafael Ortiz
Jose Rodrigez

Former Characters:
Jones Jack
Juan Rodrigez
Diego Rodrigez
Patrick Marchell
Patrick Wayland
Rafael Rodrigez
Patrick Kinsey

merkis
Civilian
Civilian

Post by merkis » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:02 pm

Could tell me there is written that I can steal a car or something. But how can I get into a car? I press enter key to enter a car but nothing happens.
EMT's Basic John Chief

Sondre_Einarsen
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Sondre_Einarsen » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:22 pm

merkis wrote:Could tell me there is written that I can steal a car or something. But how can I get into a car? I press enter key to enter a car but nothing happens.

If you are talking about entering a car the normal way, when it's unlocked and all, just press F :P To get in as a passenger, you simply press G
8% of youth are narrowminded, its only what you like that can be called music. If you're part of the gifted and sane 92% that can accept diffrent types of music, put this in your signature.

merkis
Civilian
Civilian

Post by merkis » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:34 pm

Sondre_Einarsen wrote:
merkis wrote:Could tell me there is written that I can steal a car or something. But how can I get into a car? I press enter key to enter a car but nothing happens.

If you are talking about entering a car the normal way, when it's unlocked and all, just press F :P To get in as a passenger, you simply press G

Then all cars out there are locked? Because I cant enter any car. And one questin. When type the /newspaper at that spot in were ''i''...pops out an menu...I want pick an option press enter it exits the menu. And I dont now how to pick an option. SPACE doesnt works too!!
EMT's Basic John Chief

Tracebook
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Tracebook » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:22 pm

There will be no updates on the guide, please consider all information in this guide outdated as I have left the community and will no longer be playing computer games.

Best Wishes,
Tyler McCormick

Doggy
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Dylan_Brooks

Post by Doggy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:26 am

merkis wrote:
Sondre_Einarsen wrote:

Then all cars out there are locked? Because I cant enter any car. And one questin. When type the /newspaper at that spot in were ''i''...pops out an menu...I want pick an option press enter it exits the menu. And I dont now how to pick an option. SPACE doesnt works too!!

"Space" is the forward button in the menus while "enter" is the backward button.
٩๏̯͡๏)۶Doggy٩๏̯͡๏)۶
Level 1 admin

Feel free to PM if you have any questions or concerns

Chico_Cruz
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by Chico_Cruz » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:29 am

Shift is probably the- wait, this post is mad friggen old. :/

Return to “Player-Created Guides”