Questionable Member
Questionable Member

Re: So what's with the lag recently?

Post by Duco » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Psycho2 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:27 pm
SkylarMcKnight wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:49 am
this started when u added more stuff to the PD/SD more barrels and roadblocks.
Yeah it started when flares, ladders, medic thingy were added. Who knows if that's the reason of the lag tho.
Nah, that's not the cause of the lag, considering those items are only mapping objects that are placed just like any other roadblock item, it doesn't add anything special that should cause lag.

Dos Santos
Lead Administrator

Post by Dos Santos » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Appreciate what you are doing to try resolve the server, for us to play in a stable condition.

If I have not posted on your ban appeal within 48 hours, private message me.
If I have not concluded your report within 72 hours, private message me.

Ingram
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Say my name.

Post by Ingram » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:05 pm

You know what's going through my mind, that it's related to the new /autolow thing, or the host itself.

axez
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by axez » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:25 pm

This is some serious skills at work, you have my respect! Good job with the search, and hopefully you'll figure out a solution soon!
Don't do bad, be good.
Discord: axez#1934

Doakes
Crime Scene Investigator
Crime Scene Investigator
Ingame name: Doakes

Post by Doakes » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:54 pm

From one programmer to another, looking for issues in code that was there prior to the beginning of a repeated issue is not going to solve it. I've wasted hours comparing memory snapshots to hunt down memory leaks in my programs and so often I revised old code to make it more efficient, but to solve a new leak one must dig into the difference (not necessarily a code difference, could be an environmental one as well).

Doakes Helper v6

Image SCREENSHOT EDITOR - Automatic /blindfold
Image FRIENDS - Get notified when they go online
Image CHATLOG BACKUPS - Effortless chatlog backups

Beard
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Robert Sheldon

Post by Beard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:53 am

Doakes wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:54 pm
From one programmer to another, looking for issues in code that was there prior to the beginning of a repeated issue is not going to solve it. I've wasted hours comparing memory snapshots to hunt down memory leaks in my programs and so often I revised old code to make it more efficient, but to solve a new leak one must dig into the difference (not necessarily a code difference, could be an environmental one as well).
This doesn't mean the fixes they've put in place are a waste of time. What's fixed now won't cause issues down the line

Ingram
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Say my name.

Post by Ingram » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:33 am

What they've done for now is great, because once the source of the lag peak disappear we will experience even better improvement than ever.

Helper
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Helper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:07 am

Mmartin wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:42 am
Helper wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:31 am
Might sound retarded but I think it's one of the new updates. Tolls? SACF? Who knows?
Actually, we do. Had you read the post, you'd know it started before the anniversary :)
sorri boss
Plug walk

Free Xena

Doakes
Crime Scene Investigator
Crime Scene Investigator
Ingame name: Doakes

Post by Doakes » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:26 am

Beard wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:53 am
Doakes wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:54 pm
This doesn't mean the fixes they've put in place are a waste of time. What's fixed now won't cause issues down the line
Yeah, I didn't mean to devalue their improvements, those will surely be of benefit in the long run.

Doakes Helper v6

Image SCREENSHOT EDITOR - Automatic /blindfold
Image FRIENDS - Get notified when they go online
Image CHATLOG BACKUPS - Effortless chatlog backups

Damian
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Damian » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:02 am

Mmartin wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:09 am
You're right though, in the sense that there's still a lot of room for improvement in terms of performance optimization, considering the script went through ten years of changes in what's considered the standard. But it doesn't look like that is the cause of the recent issues.
Out of good faith of the Anniversary and the fact this is definitely a hard time for you right now and I do not envy you in what you're going through I'll keep the post cordial. The script is old and heavily outdated and has been old for over 5 or 6 years now. The script didn't even have threaded queries until the Vehicle Revamp, mocked by Surreal ofc. The script is old, the performance reviews points to a lot of functions and areas that needs serious re-writes. New features on top of an old script is the self-satisfying type of development that does no one any justice in the longrun.

The community may not enjoy it but new features should be put on a backburner in favor of revamps more often. Discarding them is only going to make the situation much worse as time passes. And to not come off as a bitch feel free to use the establishment revamp written up so far as a jumpstart towards the work you have ahead of yourselves. I can tell you right now there are about 3 pointless loops in the /furniture function that loops through 1000+ furniture gvars. I'm pretty sure the zeex plugin doesn't pickup stock functions so it won't report alot of the functions that could really be an issue in the script.
Damian Calhoun
Manager
Head of Staff
Head of Boards
Head of Development
SA:MP BetaTester '06
Tester Information:
Information About Applying.
Head of Mapping.
Contact Information
IRC.
PM me!
Ventrilo.
Highest Player Count:
550!
DamianC.

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development
Ingame name: Lucas Foreman

Post by Mmartin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 am

Damian wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:02 am
Mmartin wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:09 am
You're right though, in the sense that there's still a lot of room for improvement in terms of performance optimization, considering the script went through ten years of changes in what's considered the standard. But it doesn't look like that is the cause of the recent issues.
Out of good faith of the Anniversary and the fact this is definitely a hard time for you right now and I do not envy you in what you're going through I'll keep the post cordial. The script is old and heavily outdated and has been old for over 5 or 6 years now. The script didn't even have threaded queries until the Vehicle Revamp, mocked by Surreal ofc. The script is old, the performance reviews points to a lot of functions and areas that needs serious re-writes. New features on top of an old script is the self-satisfying type of development that does no one any justice in the longrun.

The community may not enjoy it but new features should be put on a backburner in favor of revamps more often. Discarding them is only going to make the situation much worse as time passes. And to not come off as a bitch feel free to use the establishment revamp written up so far as a jumpstart towards the work you have ahead of yourselves. I can tell you right now there are about 3 pointless loops in the /furniture function that loops through 1000+ furniture gvars. I'm pretty sure the zeex plugin doesn't pickup stock functions so it won't report alot of the functions that could really be an issue in the script.
You're definitely right that improvements to performance should be a priority over regular old features, and that's why we've been holding off on many things until the anniversary. The code, while as I said, still has plenty room for improvement (and all software configuration/database etc) actually came a long way and is much more optimized now. This whole thing is probably just one issue hiding in plain sight, because it came pretty much overnight and it's difficult to pinpoint. If you look at the first screenshot I posted, some of the functions there (GetPlayerSignal etc) are stock functions, so zeex's performance profiler has probably been updated to support them!

Thank you however for the tip on /furniture, we can look into that, but I couldn't find anything in either the profiler or our custom dialog benchmarks that's related to furniture and shows any sign of significant lag (nothing above a couple ms). Maybe it's just aged well, or one of us tweaked that by now!

Georgi
I love banitsa
I love banitsa
Ingame name: Rikki K . Vitaly R

Post by Georgi » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm pretty sure it's the toll system. It takes ages to realise you are standing at the toll, therefore send you the automated text about /opentoll.

gamingworld
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gamingworld » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:19 pm

Georgi wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:09 pm
I'm pretty sure it's the toll system. It takes ages to realise you are standing at the toll, therefore send you the automated text about /opentoll.
True that you have to wait around 50 seconds to a minute until the toll detects you are standing there for /opentoll messege to pop up.

knppel_alt
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: Hashtag_MyCharToo

Post by knppel_alt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:31 pm

I have absolutely no clue of coding or the overall stats of properties in the server and furniture placed, but I can tell you that the changes done inside our complex the past few months have likely been more work than the whole mapping for the anniversary event.
And we're not the only ones, specially with businesses having /furniture too now.
It's a wild guess, and fielding one of the fanciest interiors on the server I naturally hope to be wrong and it being unrelated, but if each furniture item in each property costs ressources in any way, there might have simply been an unexpectedly high influx of furniture items in the server recently, caused by all the amazing options furniture gives people once you're past using it as ikea catalogue, and specially with the new items added last year (we alone upgraded nine or ten properties from under 100 to 400 items, for example).
I'm likely thinking way too profane here- I can only refer to my initial statement above- but like, all these fancy new interiors (not only ours) also use HUGE items much much more than before (namely almost everything in the structures section of furniture).
And last but not least, it would make sense in the picture of the lag having been popped up not with the introduction of one of the recent updates, but seemingly unrelated- refering to all the furniture projects going on with businesses being able to be decorated, leading to a lot of ingame-interior-mapping happening all over the server the past months, allegedly causing a steady influx of furniture items in the server- as mentioned, this is my impression as player from visiting properties and setting my own ones up, I got no insight in how much properties/furniture/mapping actually were added or removed from the server.

And yeah I know, likely dumbest theory so far, as mentioned I have no clue of codes, or operating a server- it's just my impression as end user that I demand the server much more often to respond to my /furniture demands than opening tolls.

Cheezy
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Pops

Post by Cheezy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:10 pm

knppel_alt wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:31 pm
I have absolutely no clue of coding or the overall stats of properties in the server and furniture placed, but I can tell you that the changes done inside our complex the past few months have likely been more work than the whole mapping for the anniversary event.
And we're not the only ones, specially with businesses having /furniture too now.
It's a wild guess, and fielding one of the fanciest interiors on the server I naturally hope to be wrong and it being unrelated, but if each furniture item in each property costs ressources in any way, there might have simply been an unexpectedly high influx of furniture items in the server recently, caused by all the amazing options furniture gives people once you're past using it as ikea catalogue, and specially with the new items added last year (we alone upgraded nine or ten properties from under 100 to 400 items, for example).
I'm likely thinking way too profane here- I can only refer to my initial statement above- but like, all these fancy new interiors (not only ours) also use HUGE items much much more than before (namely almost everything in the structures section of furniture).
And last but not least, it would make sense in the picture of the lag having been popped up not with the introduction of one of the recent updates, but seemingly unrelated- refering to all the furniture projects going on with businesses being able to be decorated, leading to a lot of ingame-interior-mapping happening all over the server the past months, allegedly causing a steady influx of furniture items in the server- as mentioned, this is my impression as player from visiting properties and setting my own ones up, I got no insight in how much properties/furniture/mapping actually were added or removed from the server.

And yeah I know, likely dumbest theory so far, as mentioned I have no clue of codes, or operating a server- it's just my impression as end user that I demand the server much more often to respond to my /furniture demands than opening tolls.
This is actually a really good suggestion, to be honest when I ran servers for other games back in the day it never was the server host or server system. I found it was some of the key items or add-ons in the game that caused lag. Maybe with the new update for Bizs and player homes, the server could possibly be under a lot of stress.
retired admin
legends never die
Lost Demons Motorcycle Club 124

Return to “Announcements Archive”