New UCP/Account update (MUST READ)

Moderators: Lead Developers, Senior Lead Admins

Dec
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

New UCP/Account update (MUST READ)

Post by Dec » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi everyone!

Further to my announcement about Email Addresses, and with the ever increasing amount of support requests coming from you all about forgetting this or that on your account, we have made some new radical changes to the way you are able to manage your accounts on the UCP and the way we will start handling support requests as well.

So what's new? Here is a summary of what has changed with a more detailed explanation below:

You will need to have regular access to ONE UCP account in order to manage all your IG characters. Ensure that you keep your UCP account details safe and secure. Effectively all management with your accounts will be done in your UCP account.

First things first, you will need to update the data we have stored for you. New users will be asked this information on registering an account but players who already have a UCP account will need to relog into their UCP account to prompt you to update your details. You'll see the following upon first logging into your UCP account if you haven't set this information already.

It is vitally important that you do not ignore this page. Failure to take this page seriously may result in you losing your accounts and thus all the hard work and time you have put into them

Security Question/Answer
This is the most important detail to remember for your account. You will need this security answer to make any changes to any of your accounts so it will have to be kept safe. It is in your best interest to answer this properly and not to select any stupid words or answers. Select a question and write down the answer to it. As stated, you will be asked for this answer every time you modify your account details and will be given the question to remind you of the answer. There is absolutely NO reason why you should forget this security answer if you are prompted with the question. There is no way to reset this word so if you forget this word, then you will lose access to your account. It is just that simple. Write it down somewhere and lock it somewhere safe if you really have to, but DO NOT GIVE THIS SECURITY ANSWER TO ANYONE. If you don't take account security seriously and like to provide your login details to other people then you do not deserve to keep those accounts. You will not get support from any staff member if you do this.

Key features about the security/question answer feature:
  • Can only be set once. This cannot be changed or updated once set (for security reasons).
  • Can NOT be seen or reset by staff. Only you will know the answer to this security question.
  • Not case sensitive to avoid mistakes in the system saying it's wrong, when it is the correct answer.
  • Used to update any emails/passwords you have for your accounts.
  • Used to update memorable word/hint attached to your account.
  • Keep this secret and keep this safe.

Memorable Word/Hint
The memorable word and hint can be any word or phrase you can think of. It can be a memorable date, or a name of a family member, or a pet, or the make of your car/computer/TV or absolutely anything. Do NOT set your word and your hint to the same thing. This will void your ability to get support if you run into issues with your account. This will only be used when requesting customer support through the Foco Support site. Upon requesting help for any of your accounts you will be asked to provide your memorable word (and prompted with your hint to remind you what this is) to the staff member who is helping you. This is to verify that you own your account. For those who have used the ticket site before will know that we have only been able to verify ownership of accounts by getting you to list your IG name, UCP name, email address, IP address etc. And let's be honest, most of you had forgotten some of those details so it went on for days and day of back-and-forth messages before we helped you with your account.

By using this memorable word feature, it will speed the process up. Do not tell anyone your memorable word or hint as this defeats the object! Only the account owner will know their memorable as it is not listed anywhere on the UCP site, so we can guarantee that no one is trying to breach your account by asking for this word.

You are able to change this word as often as you need to using the new "Settings" page (see below). However, as stated above, you will be required to provide your security answer to change this. This is a security feature. If an attacker got hold of your UCP name/password and logged into your account, he wouldn't be able to change any of your account details without the security answer. Similarly, he couldn't ask the staff to change them for him as he wouldn't know the memorable word. And he wouldn't be able to change the memorable word to a new one he can use on the ticket site because he doesn't have the security answer. So your account will never have it's details changed by hackers if you keep your security answer safe. See now why it is so important? :)

Summary of the memorable word feature:
  • Can be custom made to whatever you want.
  • Only used to prove you're the account owner when requesting support over the Foco Support Ticket site. It must be provided when asked for. No other forms of "identity" will be accepted over the ticket site.
  • Staff members CAN see it, so take this into account when choosing a memorable word (i.e. Don't use your password/security answer)
  • You cannot see your own memorable word or hint (for security reasons).
  • You can change/reset the word and hint using your security answer whenever you like in the "Settings" page.
  • Staff cannot reset this word for you (for security reasons).

Settings
A step-by-step guide with pictures to describe each option available to you can be seen below

This is by far the biggest change to the UCP yet. Before, changing your own settings was a very confusing process. How exactly do you change your ingame character's password if you needed to? You had to be logged into the UCP but not into the character itself. It also automatically sent the password reset details to the email address registered to the account. What was this email address? Who knows, it wasn't listed anywhere. What if the email address is old and you want to change it? You can't... you have to go through the Foco Support Ticket site for a staff member to do it. But I don't remember my details to prove I own the account... Arghh vicious cycle! How difficult is this?!

This has now all changed. As of today, you will be able make all these changes yourself easily. Wherever you are in the UCP (meaning you don't have to be logged into any specific characters to edit their individual details) you will be able to edit any of your settings for your UCP account and all your ingame characters accounts. Things you can change/update yourself are:
  • UCP Email Address (used for password reset system)
  • UCP Password
  • Memorable Word/Hint
  • Ingame Character Email Address (used for password reset system)
  • Ingame Character password

To change any of the above, you will be required to have your security answer to hand. Again, as we have touched upon in the above section, if someone somehow gained access to your UCP name/password and logged into your account, they would usually be able to change these details themselves to lock you out of your accounts. But of course they cannot do that now as they will not have/know your security answer (provided you have kept that secret and safe!). So effectively you could just regain access to the UCP account using the reset password feature (the email will be sent to your email address, which you've now updated youself previously to one you actually have access to), set a new password and lock the hacker out. So no problems will have occured.

Like my Email Address thread stated, many people had multiple email address on all their accounts - some of which were never actually valid email addresses to begin with. When you ran into problems with your accounts and you forgot your password, you couldn't access the password reset email because it was being sent to an account you no longer had access to. To get this changed you would have to log onto the Ticket site and give your details (which, as we have established was a long winded process) then we could change your email address manually and thus reset your password. The problem with this, is that the hackers knew all these details (your email and login names) so could still pose as you, and get the email address changed to their own account. So now you're able to update your email addresses on your accounts in case you need to reset your passwords in future.

How to access the settings page

You'll see the "Settings" option from anywhere once you are logged into your UCP account in the top blue navigation bar (1). This will take you to your UCP Account settings by default, where you can switch between editting your UCP details or Character details using the second black navigation bar (2). Use each of the tabs on these these individual pages to edit any of your settings.

Character Settings Control (CSC)
Before you can edit of your character settings you will need to ensure that only you have access to your character. There have been many instances where people have exploited a security hole in our Import Character system and imported characters into UCP accounts whilst they are already a part of other UCP accounts. This may have been purely because you forgot your original UCP account details, or you've let friends import your character into their UCP account to exchange namechanges or play etc. Whatever the reason, you will need to ensure that your character is only linked to ONE UCP account to avoid accounts being compromised.

This is done on the Character Settings Control page which will list all your characters currently on your UCP account. You will be able to see which UCP accounts currently have access to these characters and be given the option to remove this access from them. To do so, you will have to input your character's current password and IG secret word (different from the security answer above). If you see any suspicious names or UCP accounts you do not recognise, please screenshot your page and open a Support Ticket to have it investigated.

Once you have cleared access from these other UCP accounts, you will be able to use the "Character Settings" menu above.

Why are we doing all this?
You might be thinking "ugh, more secret words and password I have to remember, I'm never gonna remember all this!" but as long as you remember one thing - your security answer - and have access to your UCP, you will not run into any problems and can reset all the other things yourself. The positive effects of implementing the above means:

• You can keep your email address information updated yourself for when you need to have passwords reset etc. No more waiting for the staff to do so on the ticket site.
  • Easier to reset your ingame password if you ever forget it. Simply log into your UCP account and change your IG password using your security answer. No more waiting for staff to do so on the ticket site.
  • Manage all your accounts under one simple "Settings" menu on the UCP. No more logging in and out of different accounts or characters or navigating through a painful amount of hidden menus.
  • If you do require customer support over the ticket site for your account, the process will be quick and painless using your memorable word as confirmation of your identity.
  • You'll spend more time ingame playing, than out of game requesting support for resetting your details. No more waiting around!
  • Similarly, our staff will be able to spend more time helping those who need it, instead of wasting lots of time helping those who are careless with their passwords/account details.

Any questions or feedback will be gladly received and discussed in this thread.
I currently hold this title:
First person ever in LSRP history to go from Level 1 admin --> Lead Admin TWICE

Elora
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Elora Garner

Re: New UCP/Account update (MUST READ)

Post by Elora » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:39 am

This update is actually pretty simple and impressive. Especially now that IG secret words can be just as easily changed for the lesser used characters, in case ever forgotten.

Props for coming out with this!
ImageImageImageRETIRED ASSISTANT SHERIFF
SAN ANDREAS SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT

Shammy
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: KEG_Smells

Post by Shammy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:34 am

Looks good, but I can forsee a problem people losing access to their account in six months' time and not being able to remember their security details. I get that it's the account holder's responsibility, but it's a problem nonetheless...

Great to see security enhancements coming in though, and also great to see development being put in to the UCP!
Shammy
Image Image Image

Slicktip
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Buckwild

Post by Slicktip » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:08 am

And uhh, what if you set those questions before this post was created (if thats a possibility), warning us about the importance that you create memorable questions? Luckily I've remembered mine, but I set them before I viewed this post, others might have done the same.

El Moot Nyne
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by El Moot Nyne » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:16 pm

30% of the community will halfass read this and fuck their account up somehow. People don't read shit nowadays and rather spend time stalking females in the about community section.

Dec
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Dec » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:10 pm

El Moot Nyne wrote:30% of the community will halfass read this and fuck their account up somehow. People don't read shit nowadays and rather spend time stalking females in the about community section.

Then they need to learn an important life lesson. LSRP is a great start.
I currently hold this title:
First person ever in LSRP history to go from Level 1 admin --> Lead Admin TWICE

Christine Vega
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Christine Vega » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Shammy wrote:Looks good, but I can forsee a problem people losing access to their account in six months' time and not being able to remember their security details. I get that it's the account holder's responsibility, but it's a problem nonetheless...

Great to see security enhancements coming in though, and also great to see development being put in to the UCP!

Security always has been and always will be an issue. If people do not note down or simply remember their login data, then it's their fault exclusively. There are platforms of huge companies operating on this type of security architecture which combines e-mail addresses and a Q&A system. Therefore, LS-RP has simply added another security-layer. As long as LS-RP saves the answers to those questions securely (proper hash, salt, pepper, ...) this is solely an enormous improvement.
I, Christine Vega, will join the probation group in order to serve my debt to Los Santos Role Play. I choose to follow the rules inside of the group as followed. I am fully aware that the tasks involved can change and or even expand as the leads see fit. I will agree to a ban if I can not fulfill the groups purpose!

Slicktip
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Buckwild

Post by Slicktip » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:44 am

krisk wrote:
Slicktip wrote:And uhh, what if you set those questions before this post was created (if thats a possibility), warning us about the importance that you create memorable questions? Luckily I've remembered mine, but I set them before I viewed this post, others might have done the same.

You realize the page you created them on had RED, BOLDED letters as the picture provided below SHOUTING OUT the importance of them?

I feel stupid as fuck. Yeah I really must have been hungover when I set them. Or it's probably just because I set them on my return of LS-RP, and was just eager to get in-game again. But at least I remembered them so I guess I wasn't too half-assed. What I'm saying though is, although I agree with security measures needing to be taken in place, like you stated above, I fear we'll have a bunch of people losing access to their main account for one reason or the other. Maybe the bolded text should contain a nice tip about writing the answers down. Just my five cents, I know I didn't think that far when I wrote them, I remember just thinking something about "Yeaah, I'll remember them." and I did, but I had my doubts once I read this post.

King
Certified
Certified

Post by King » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Is this mandatory? Because I never use the UCP...

Rasco_smith
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Rasco_smith » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:42 am

I know im late but i've stopped playing ls-rp for awhile and i've just started back playing and im trying to log-in to my UCP account but everytime i click on the login button it dosen't do anything i tried on multiple computers so idk whats wrong please help

Delanto
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Jonathan_Delanto

Post by Delanto » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:10 am

Rasco_smith wrote:I know im late but i've stopped playing ls-rp for awhile and i've just started back playing and im trying to log-in to my UCP account but everytime i click on the login button it dosen't do anything i tried on multiple computers so idk whats wrong please help
Try hitting the "Home" button again or other pages. It happens to everyone, you have to navigate a page or two before it'll pop up.

Rasco_smith
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Rasco_smith » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:17 am

How come when I logged into the UCP I have none of my characters ?? Ive tryed to import them like it said but it said these characters imported to another account ??

Delanto
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Jonathan_Delanto

Post by Delanto » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:49 am

Rasco_smith wrote:How come when I logged into the UCP I have none of my characters ?? Ive tryed to import them like it said but it said these characters imported to another account ??
Try opening a ticket and the staff team will assist you further...http://support.foco.co/

John_Rising
Civilian
Civilian
Ingame name: John_Rising

Post by John_Rising » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:25 pm

Rasco_smith wrote:How come when I logged into the UCP I have none of my characters ?? Ive tryed to import them like it said but it said these characters imported to another account ??
If characters are imported on another UCP account and not exported ofcourse you'll get that message.

KodyNash

Post by KodyNash » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:41 pm

Damn, nice.

Return to “Announcements Archive”