Peace Officer misconduct (Report PD/SD)

Moderators: Lead Developers, Senior Lead Admins

Michael
God of Spammers
God of Spammers

Re: Peace Officer misconduct (Report PD/SD)

Post by Michael » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:27 pm

krisk wrote:Typical things that you may report (/report | /re) ingame to clear out:

Unlawful searches while you do have your car, house, persona full of illegal items. It is most easily solved by an admin if an officer decides to search you based on vague evidence.

Frankly I'm merely surprised at this part, thought I could be not the only one thinking that such kind of acts are not the type to be dealt with by an administrator?

SgtJulian
Mafia
Mafia

Post by SgtJulian » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:35 pm

I like that you posted this thread krisk because it clears a lot of things up; however, I'm afraid that now every single person will start reporting LEO's for everything, probably even people who are known to be wanted (It would be pretty stupid IMO to submit a complaint about an LEO giving all your personal details if you're wanted yourself...)

Also as a side note, if you have a problem with an LEO IC or OOC they're always going to be MUCH more responsive if you take it up with them directly first rather than going to IA if it's something like the officer said "shit!" But of course if he shoots someone or kills with no reason the you have to go directly to IA.

Stottlemeyer
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Post by Stottlemeyer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:37 pm

If a person makes unlawful vehicle search or any unlawful search, will he be ajailed for that or it's gonna be forwarded to SD/PD ?
Retired Captain Travis Walker (ex. Cordell Firewalker), ex. Investigations Unit Director & absolute authority

2011 - 2016

Factions taken down (5):
Renegades MC || Road Slayers MC || Aryan Guard MC || White Knights MC || Redline Racing Crew

Bellagio
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Bellagio » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Stottlemeyer wrote:If a person makes unlawful vehicle search or any unlawful search, will he be ajailed for that or it's gonna be forwarded to SD/PD ?

This :

My car gets searched everytime I get pulled over why?
I have no idea, but basically because I'm in a mafia they think I carry guns with me all the times.
Its ridiculous, I'm happy that this thread is up.

Dzekezas
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: <><><>

Post by Dzekezas » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Dicedpr0d wrote:
Stottlemeyer wrote:If a person makes unlawful vehicle search or any unlawful search, will he be ajailed for that or it's gonna be forwarded to SD/PD ?

This :

I have no idea, but basically because I'm in a mafia they think I carry guns with me all the times.

When something like this is happening without a proper reason - just ask for supervisor. That could solve most of your problems.

I believe to SD/PD because I do not think that people should be punished OOCly for IC mistakes.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Former Foreign  Moderator
Retired tester

Savino
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Savino » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:03 pm

What's your view on people using /mdc on approaching vehicles?

(Personally, if it's a TRAFFIC cruiser (they're fitted with automatic equipment which runs plates AFAIK) I don't mind - but when someone is driving towards me and they /MDC you in the middle of the street, it does tend to annoy me.)

When something like this is happening without a proper reason - just ask for supervisor. That could solve most of your problems.

It's not as if a wrong doing deputy / officer will call for a supervisor. From personal experience, the people I've dealt with and requested a supervisor from commonly say "I am a supervisor" and ignore me from then onward.

Pichu
Certified Pillock
Certified Pillock

Post by Pichu » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm a Command member of SD's IAU, believe it or not we do look at every report but if someone decides to submit a BS report, chances are we will find out :D. I do have concerns about this part also though;

Typical things that you may report (/report | /re) ingame to clear out:

Unlawful searches while you do have your car, house, persona full of illegal items. It is most easily solved by an admin if an officer decides to search you based on vague evidence

People have very funny ideas of what 'probable cause' is on both sides of the fence, normally though it's the 'smacks' who get caught red handed that do the screaming and crying. I do agree with SgtJulian's concerns too, this'll triple our workload and people will probably start reporting cops for sighing at them.

I also have concerns that this will take work away from IG lawyers whether government lawyers or privately licensed lawyers whose job it should be to figure this out, not really admins. Whilst this post has some cons, it's really been needed for a long time and will save some of the stupid forum reports you get. Thanks :D

Edit: Regarding the MDC thing, this is the only way we can do this sadly. There's a device called ANPR, Automatic Numberplate Recognition which IRL alerts officers if a car is stolen, no insurance, tax or is wanted etc etc.

Phillip01
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Phillip01 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:23 pm

The probable cause clause is really questionable. Someone may consult someone with priors on drug sale standing on a corner as probable cause, someone else may think that carrying your gun on you may be probable cause for a vehicle search, someone else may consider a 911 report probable cause, and I'm certain that every admin called down to handle such /re will have a different opinion on what's probable cause and what's not.
Yo momma's so fat, she puts mayonnaise on aspirin.

Savokage
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Savokage » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:27 pm

krisk wrote:Typical things that you may report (/report | /re) ingame to clear out:

Unlawful searches while you do have your car, house, persona full of illegal items. It is most easily solved by an admin if an officer decides to search you based on vague evidence.

Whilst I am all for informing people about the proper procedure behind reporting police abuse as people tend to take it out of character instantly I am kind of disappointed this is now going to be turned into an out of character issue whilst it clearly is an in character one. I do not know about others, but I personally am not looking forward to having explain every single search I do to an admin.

Also, if it is an unlawful search and items are confiscated, wouldn't that still be an in character issue? Is it really necessary to turn this into an out of character thing now whilst it clearly is not? Pretty sure if illegal items were to be confiscated in an unlawful manner that the items realistically wouldn't be returned anyway if the main concern is that admins have to spend time refunding people.

To all the other people that have posted so far: Everything I've heard so far are in character issues which can be resolved through in character means. The posts about constant vehicle searches as well as people refusing to call over a supervisor.

Burgoo
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Mr. X.

Post by Burgoo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:54 pm

What if an officer is wielding a taser and a suspect pulls a gun and shoots? If the officer shoots the taser, is that powergame? Because it may be a natural instinct after being shot at to pull a trigger if it's in your hand.

Secondly, I'd like to express that people should only really be contacting Internal Affairs of any department if their character would actually do that. Not sure if anyone else agrees, but yeah.

Thuggy
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Thuggy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Burgoo wrote:What if an officer is wielding a taser and a suspect pulls a gun and shoots? If the officer shoots the taser, is that powergame? Because it may be a natural instinct after being shot at to pull a trigger if it's in your hand.

Should be powergaming, because realistically if you shoot a tazer dart at someone firing a desert eagle, they don't flip immediately and get paralyzed for ten seconds.

Fergie
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: 43616c76696e2046657267757

Post by Fergie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Dicedpr0d wrote:

If you have ever been arrested in the past for possession of a weapon without a permit, PD/SD are able to pull you over to search your person/vehicle since you are known to carry illegal weapons. Its been like this forever.

Mostly everything stated above is an IC issue in my opinion. Unlawful searches, etc. All that is an IC issue. If you feel you are being unlawfully searched, request to speak with a supervisor. If they refuse, take SS's and then when you get out of jail/prison, role-play getting the dashcam footage from the PD and then send a report to IA. I really don't see why this needs to all be taken OOCly.
Last edited by Fergie on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Fergie
Former Game Admin
IRC Name: Fergie
PM Me
About Me
Mapping Showcase
L
I
T
T
L
E
H
I
D
D
E
N
S
P
A
C
E
R
L
I
T
T
L
E
H
I
D
D
E
N
S
P
A
C
E
R

Ferdinand
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Ferdinand » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Had to put up with some shady stuff even while roleplaying a civilian, thanks for clearing this up.
Last edited by Ferdinand on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StateSheriff
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: Adrian Draper

Post by StateSheriff » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Burgoo wrote:What if an officer is wielding a taser and a suspect pulls a gun and shoots? If the officer shoots the taser, is that powergame? Because it may be a natural instinct after being shot at to pull a trigger if it's in your hand.

Secondly, I'd like to express that people should only really be contacting Internal Affairs of any department if their character would actually do that. Not sure if anyone else agrees, but yeah.

It'd obviously be a mistake on the officers part since the guy just pulled the gun as he was getting shot with the taser so I doubt you'd be punished for that.

That's also a very good point... A bit silly if a guy being prisoned for murder, rape and a known gang member goes and contacts IA for something minor like unprofessionalism or insults. But I guess at the end of the day it's up to the person.

Thuggy
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Thuggy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:02 pm

StateSheriff wrote:It'd obviously be a mistake on the officers part since the guy just pulled the gun as he was getting shot with the taser so I doubt you'd be punished for that.

It's not hard to take cover behind a vehicle like you'd do in real life and write /taser. It is stupid if you're actively shooting on an officer only to get hit by a taser dart then get forced into the /flip animation and be paralysed for a good ten seconds.

Return to “Announcements Archive”