"/do Success / Fail?" is not an example of good role-play

Moderators: Lead Admins, Senior Lead Admins

Raggamuffin
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Korey McDEAD.

"/do Success / Fail?" is not an example of good role-play

Post by Raggamuffin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:27 am

Damian wrote:If you want to grab someone, grab them. If you want to push them, just freaking push them. If you want to kick then just do it. And if you- you being the person on the other side of the RP wants to resist then just resist it in a /me. But at the same time remember you're on a roleplay server and the definition of powergaming. This whole successful and failure garbage needs to go.

In order to improve the quality of roleplay and open up doors for new possibilities of action, it is preferable that you, the player, avoid the following formula when performing an action on another character: "/me attempts to [action] (on) [name]. /do Success / Fail?" Why? Because it often influences players to simply reply "/do Fail." and limit possible outcomes.

Instead, if you for example want to hit somebody, use an emote along the lines of "/me launches a right hook in the direction of [name]'s jaw." This implies that the other person must either try to block it, dodge it and/or counter attack, either roleplay the effects of the punch. You must also not forget the rule about powergaming and avoid a finished action such as "/me breaks [name]'s jaw with his right hook, sending [name] on the ground."

Scrappy Coco
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Re: "/do Success / Fail?" is not an example of good role-pla

Post by Scrappy Coco » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:41 pm

To tell the truth, after reading what Takumi said, I just went over and without /attempts, I just.. /me pulls his out over ---- and hits him at the head. So most likely they were like /b pg. Well, now that explains me something, the level and the experience does not matter, thanks, a lot.
Challenge accepted.

One_Nation
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Shaggy

Post by One_Nation » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:46 am

Some noob was doing that to me.. /do S/F ? i kept doing /do F /do F /do F LoL! he was so mad and than i
ran from him and he reported me for powergame. LoL! funny shit.
I'm glad we got this dumb system covered.. No ore /do S/F anymore.. that shit was whack i always thought it was whacked.
THANK YOU DAMIAN ! For clearing that bullshit up.
Image Nigga Stole My Bike!

Spoiler: show
Sai "Shaggy" Sivongxay
Sai Sivongxay says: Bang'd up, Blue'd Up, Heads 2 Toes, Cuhz..
Walk'n wid' dat' mean mug, let' mah fo'fo' Bust!
A's Up ! tru'd up, Blue chucks,
Blue Flag, pants sag, wit' mah tru' cuhz.

Alpha Torn

Post by Alpha Torn » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:50 am

/do S/F is the #1 way to PG.

Blue = Johnny, Red = Jimmy

/me tries to pull Jimmy from the car.
/do S/F

/do f, he misses

Vegemite
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Vegemite » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 am

Thank god for this ...
I hadto do this /do success crap or I would be spammed by people "LOL U PG ZOMGS I REPAORT"
Literally you would haveto "/me attempts to bend his knee, lifting his leg slightly to take a step." and the other guy would be like "/do fails cos your leg is not that strong"
:S
if you wanna push someone, you'd just push them right, it's not like in real life someone counters a push.. seriously they would just punch you in the face, not "/me leaps back 3 meters doing a backflip avoding the push, pulling out a gun and 'Attempting' To shoot you, even though if I wanted to shoot you I could easily just pull the fucking trigger"
thank u Raggamuffin.
hello here?

Fairfield*<3
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Fairfield*<3 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:53 am

/me attempts to shoot Billy
/do S/F?
Rofl i got that today with my name

Denial
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Denial » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:03 pm

Mike attempts to give his license to the officer.
S/F Timothy ? ** (( Mike_--- ))
Fail. The license resists. (( Timothy_Ramos ))

Just lol'd at this situation. Good thing this whole /me attempts is gone now. Thanks for clearing it up for everyone ! :D

Timothy Ramos - Enjoying his time at SASD as a Deputy Sheriff II.
Samuel Freeman - Previously moved to LS, joined as a medic at EMS.

Richard_Santon
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Richard_Santon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:13 pm

I think the biggest issue here personally is getting out of the habbit of /me attempts.. That's usually the start to all roleplay that goes on IMO.

so the whole /do s/f? is scrapped completely?

-Ric

Sud
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Dead

Post by Sud » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Well you can do it, but mostly people won't RP with you at that way, and you will probably get Ajailed for "Failure to RP"
Stopped playing because of an idiot.

Raula
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Memphis Wallace

Post by Raula » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:37 pm

As the rest of the guys said.. I see S/F as a kind of powergame.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Memphis Wallace

Ex LS:RP Tester
previously known as Raul™
Ex FMA

Wise
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Wise » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:12 pm

True that, it can be a possible powergame attempt but the thing is, example: /me kicks Jack's ribs as he's down on the floor unstable. I mean that's obviously going to be a success but never the less players would continue with the S/F for no reason.. It also holds up the roleplay and can cause epic spam in /b if the victim Fails the /me.

Kevin_Woods
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Kevin_Woods

Post by Kevin_Woods » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:24 pm

If no /do S/F so how can you pull out some one from the car? /me trying to open the door then /me trying to pull him out
then you must do /do S/F cuz in real its hard to make it and also in the game you should do that cuz u cant do /me attemps to open the door and pulling jack out of the car!! and then you pulling him out of the car! you cant do that! So how can you do that? Give me an example!

Wise
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Wise » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Kevin_Woods wrote:If no /do S/F so how can you pull out some one from the car? /me trying to open the door then /me trying to pull him out
then you must do /do S/F cuz in real its hard to make it and also in the game you should do that cuz u cant do /me attemps to open the door and pulling jack out of the car!! and then you pulling him out of the car! you cant do that! So how can you do that? Give me an example!

Because, usually before you try break in to the car you ask the driver the door status aka is it locked or unlocked, if it's unlocked then the action can be performed but another example is with taxi's most of the time the front doors are locked and back open. Example:
me: /do Door's unlocked?
them: /do Yes.
me: /me opens the driver's door and grips on to the driver's shoulder in order to pull him out.

Then the driver can carry it on from there, if he/she wanted to fail the action performed they can fail it in a /me.

Kevin_Woods
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Kevin_Woods

Post by Kevin_Woods » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:34 pm

But he will pull out of so fast that the other man that sitting in the car have no time to write /me holds the wheel and trying to kick him with the leg in his face
and he just will pull him out with /me and he will drive off!

Wise
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Wise » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Kevin_Woods wrote:But he will pull out of so fast that the other man that sitting in the car have no time to write /me holds the wheel and trying to kick him with the leg in his face
and he just will pull him out with /me and he will drive off!

Not if the /me you create to pull him out is so unique that he just won't have any chance of driving off or pushing you away. :wink:

Return to “Rules & Rules Updates - Archive”