"/do Success / Fail?" is not an example of good role-play

Moderators: Lead Admins, Senior Lead Admins

Niick
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Dominick Cruz

Re: "/do Success / Fail?" is not an example of good role-pla

Post by Niick » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:41 am

We all need to be Good Roleplayers and check the possibilites of the /me.

You are looking for a rock for example, and someone behind you tries to knockout you with a baseball bat, and you simple do /do Fail or /do Fail, I Saw that or I Walked on the same time. You need to analise the RP and know if it was sucessfully did or not. But a lot of peoples don't analise it. That's it what's genering this problem. The admins helps nowadays that i already saw, almost 30~50% was from this same matter: Oh, he did /do Fail, but bla bla bla without any possibilites and Chances. Oh, C'mon.

Darius94
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by Darius94 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Fairfield*<3 wrote:/me attempts to shoot Billy
/do S/F?
Rofl i got that today with my name

Hahaha :lol: :lol:
Retired LS:RP Tester

Community Thread

hasteone
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Jayceon_Barksdale

Post by hasteone » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:14 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Damian wrote:If you want to grab someone, grab them. If you want to push them, just freaking push them. If you want to kick then just do it. And if you- you being the person on the other side of the RP wants to resist then just resist it in a /me. But at the same time remember you're on a roleplay server and the definition of powergaming. This whole successful and failure garbage needs to go.

In order to improve the quality of roleplay and open up doors for new possibilities of action, it is preferable that you, the player, avoid the following formula when performing an action on another character: "/me attempts to [action] (on) [name]. /do Success / Fail?" Why? Because it often influences players to simply reply "/do Fail." and limit possible outcomes.

Instead, if you for example want to hit somebody, use an emote along the lines of "/me launches a right hook in the direction of [name]'s jaw." This implies that the other person must either try to block it, dodge it and/or counter attack, either roleplay the effects of the punch. You must also not forget the rule about powergaming and avoid a finished action such as "/me breaks [name]'s jaw with his right hook, sending [name] on the ground."

If everyone just learn how to use /do S/F, it's a very good way, but I'm with you, many fails at it, lie /do F [Bad/PG Reason]

If everyone just know how to use it, it would be great, Btw, take a sec to learn it if you don't know it, it's very useful.

Maccaviti
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Mickey F.

Post by Maccaviti » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm

This is good because it opens new doors to roleplay and helps to remove the Powergaming. I've been trying to encourage this myself in other servers to the players because also, it's more advanced roleplay.
Failure is not a defeat, just a delay.

Dmitri_Smirnoff
Civilian
Civilian
Ingame name: Dmitri Smirnoff

Post by Dmitri_Smirnoff » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:27 am

I completely agree..in real life you wouldn't ask someone if you could punch then and what not. /s and /f makes you feel like your a freaking Rambo or something..glad this can be covered and RP'ed more.

Sprinter
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Sprinter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:16 am

Over my past years in LS-RP, the roleplay has become extremely different and by different I mean good. But It was okay back in 09 or 08 to do the /do S or F because the roleplay standards were low.
Dmitri_Smirnoff wrote:I completely agree..in real life you wouldn't ask someone if you could punch then and what not.

It's not the case of asking someone -.- It's the reaction they have toward your action; you're letting them counter roleplay against your roleplay, If that makes any sense ;)

Richard_Hunters
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Richard_Hunters » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:24 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Damian wrote:If you want to grab someone, grab them. If you want to push them, just freaking push them. If you want to kick then just do it. And if you- you being the person on the other side of the RP wants to resist then just resist it in a /me. But at the same time remember you're on a roleplay server and the definition of powergaming. This whole successful and failure garbage needs to go.

In order to improve the quality of roleplay and open up doors for new possibilities of action, it is preferable that you, the player, avoid the following formula when performing an action on another character: "/me attempts to [action] (on) [name]. /do Success / Fail?" Why? Because it often influences players to simply reply "/do Fail." and limit possible outcomes.

Instead, if you for example want to hit somebody, use an emote along the lines of "/me launches a right hook in the direction of [name]'s jaw." This implies that the other person must either try to block it, dodge it and/or counter attack, either roleplay the effects of the punch. You must also not forget the rule about powergaming and avoid a finished action such as "/me breaks [name]'s jaw with his right hook, sending [name] on the ground."

I do this on a regular basis but I seldom get a real response. The usual I get is a "Aaaaaah!" or a /frontflip. This isn't just random encounters with basic members, these are high-level characters and even members of the SASD and LSPD that disregard using written emotes compared to just point-and-shoot. I'd report it on each basis (I did in the case of the SASD and the end result was his arrival being voided, alongside other broken rules), but that could mean I'd be calling an admin several times a day and I don't want to wait for something like that. That's at least twenty minutes each time wasted, and that could mean up to an hour each day is me explaining the admin how Rick_McNoEmote didn't respond to a coherent /me.
Protest. Rebel. Revolt.

RebeccaGetUpStandUp
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by RebeccaGetUpStandUp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:51 pm

^
Nothing wrong with them role playing the effects even if it doesn't come in a rich /me. Do you prefer a rich /me of how he avoided the punch and pulled his gun and shot you or do you prefer more /frontflip and Ahhhh!?

Vex
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: Peter Chambers

Post by Vex » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:06 am

My suggestion is just not to turn this to habbo and have it all depend on typing speed, fuck that!. The thing i suggest is to do something scriptwise that has the outcome on completly outcome like /punches {ID} then it calulates on if it would hit him or not.' Simple as that staff team. :D

Jarret
Civilian
Civilian
Ingame name: William DeFaveri

Post by Jarret » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:08 am

Vex wrote:My suggestion is just not to turn this to habbo and have it all depend on typing speed, fuck that!. The thing i suggest is to do something scriptwise that has the outcome on completly outcome like /punches {ID} then it calulates on if it would hit him or not.' Simple as that staff team. :D

Y'know, I saw something getting pulled together like that where a player would type /punches (name or whatever) for a Habbo-style-retro-mc-thingy and it didn't seem to work out. I just saw random players running around copy/pasting /punch then rapidly punching in their name or ID. Although I do like the idea of it having a randomized calculation of it actually hitting or not, I think turning the RP to scripted actions kinda takes away the imagery(I'm one of those people that sees this shit in my mind like a book. Haha.).

Also, reading up on this forum has really enlightened me on how the combat RP works in this game. I'm still a bit touch-and-go after coming from Habbo for so many years, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

One question : When RP'ing combat with a weapon, once a /me action is stated, such as ;[/me leaps out of the car, bat in hand, and bashes *victim* over the head with it ], and the player committing said action proceeds to beat the ever-living shit out of the victim script-wise, what is the victim supposed to do if there are no RP actions slinging about during that combat sequence? Does the Victim have to respond with a RP statement in order to get away or defend (him/her)self? Or can they simply throw punches script-wise? I'm no newbie as to RP realism, but I don't understand how the Combat mechanics installed in GTA work with the RP. I'm four days old on LSRP, so forgive me if this question seems 'n00b'. :D
Hump hump n' hump.

Mags
SLS XIII
SLS XIII

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Jarret wrote:Does the Victim have to respond with a RP statement in order to get away or defend (him/her)self? Or can they simply throw punches script-wise? I'm no newbie as to RP realism, but I don't understand how the Combat mechanics installed in GTA work with the RP. I'm four days old on LSRP, so forgive me if this question seems 'n00b'. :D

Yes, the victim has to respond with a /me in order to defend himself and get away, else it'll be considered as not roleplaying your injuries and eventually powergaming.

Sprinter
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Sprinter » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:53 am

SteaGie wrote:
Jarret wrote:Does the Victim have to respond with a RP statement in order to get away or defend (him/her)self? Or can they simply throw punches script-wise? I'm no newbie as to RP realism, but I don't understand how the Combat mechanics installed in GTA work with the RP. I'm four days old on LSRP, so forgive me if this question seems 'n00b'. :D

Yes, the victim has to respond with a /me in order to defend himself and get away, else it'll be considered as not roleplaying your injuries and eventually powergaming.

This is not always the case. It just depends how severe you want the injury to be. Remember, you're roleplaying your character - your injuries. Holding down the right click whilst spamming F happens a lot as well. I find roleplaying the fight much funner.

Return to “Rules & Rules Updates - Archive”