The closure of the LGBT+ thread

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Junior Developers, Lead Admins, Web Developers, Developers

dogman
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

The closure of the LGBT+ thread

Post by dogman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:18 pm

I suggest to close down the LGBT+ thread for several reasons, first off is that this is a gaming forum, based on a game on roleplaying where most people try to hide their real identity, lately I have witnessed admins closing down on things that wouldn't have their place on a gaming thread, second, it's an extremely controversial thread, several people got banned for commenting on it and generally using it as a place to harass people, it should be closed just like the religion threads, is exactly the same type of fish, just served in another dish. I am not trying to sound homophobic but these types of thread always brought out the worse in people, few people who came out as transgender on this forum ended up having their pages filled with people poking fun at them, I just personally think some things should be kept off the internet, and mostly be keept off a gaming forum for a roleplaying game, if we're following the current rules, it doesn't have a place on the forums, just like the religion threads, which, you could argue, we're just as harmless/harmful to the community.

I just don't feel right that on a gaming forum, I can't discuss about my religion but If my sexuality is different than the averages, then I have a thread to discuss about random things? I personally just can't find the purpose of the thread, what is being discussed there? Let's see: as of right now, all that is being discussed is the recent Gay Pride event that happened in game, why? I don't see the point of it, since there is a thread dedicated to the event, however for some reason people find it fit to post on that thread too, useless, in my opinion; before that, it was all about random, strange questions that target homosexual people (eg: ey do u stick ur dick in other guys dick?) or people getting "educated" on the subject, why people can be educated on the subject of homosexuality, and the other areas that LGBT+ cover, on a gaming forum? Why can't people be educated about religion the same way? I am a Christian myself, I would love to know more about Islam from the many players this community has, or on the topic of Rastafari or hell, even Judaism but I can't have a thread to discuss about that, yet I can get educated about homosexuality and so on.

By any means, I don't try to make the LGBT+ a thing to be frowned upon. I am just throwing in a suggestion, why can't we have both? Or, hell, if we can't have one, why can we have the other? My suggestion is, either close down the LGBT+ thread community and keep this forum strictly game related and other gaming related things (movies and series fall under this category) or just bring the religion threads back.
Last edited by dogman on Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

the g from romania

Re: The closure of the LGBT+ thread

Post by the g from romania » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:23 pm

i respect liquicity; don't give a fuck about your thread

inhumannx

Post by inhumannx » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:24 pm

lmaoo, bad idea

Pazu.
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Pazu. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:26 pm

Bad ideea.

#Andre

Post by #Andre » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Uh...No. Bad ideea.
Last edited by Erty on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bashkirov
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by Bashkirov » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:16 am

I agree. I see no discussions between LGBT members. All I see are trolls and angry LGBT folks. It should be closed. We're here to have fun and role play. Not to discuss politics. Closing it wouldn't be an insult to the LGBT community of LS:RP. I, personally, don't give a shit what you wanna do with your life. It doesn't affect me, but there's really nothing to discuss. There's no need for the thread in my opinion.
Μάρδας

King Ghali
Game Administrator

Post by King Ghali » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:21 am

People are not allowed to discuss religion and politics yet allowed to discuss their sexuality apparently. Says a lot about what is going on. So yeah, it should be closed just like the other topics being opened and get ranted on.
Watch people, because you can fake for a long time, but one day you're gonna show your self to be a phony.

Threadstrong
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Threadstrong » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:26 am

This is a slippery slope. By that logic, why not close all music-related threads? Surely arguments can occur in those types of threads, right? Furthermore, equating sexuality with religion/politics is silly. The two aren't to be compared and we all know that. Politics and religion are naturally divisive. If someone happens to be gay or bisexual, then look the fuck away, it doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever. If the thread is devolving into shitflinging, then dole out punishments to the guilty parties and move on. Don't close the thread just because a small, vocal minority are ruining things on either side.

Chefboy
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Leah Messer

Post by Chefboy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:34 am

You rarely see people arguing in music threads. People act respectfully and there is quality discussion in the music section. Take a glance across LGBT+ and witness pretty much nothing but arguing, insults, and backhanded comments.
Image You Hate To See It.

Threadstrong
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Threadstrong » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:35 am

Then staff should take action and actually crack down on people shitting up the thread. Closing the thread altogether isn't the way to solve it. If you don't frequently browse the thread, then it shouldn't be an issue for you.

Bashkirov
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by Bashkirov » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:52 am

Threadstrong wrote:If someone happens to be gay or bisexual, then look the fuck away, it doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever.
Same for topics about religion in politics. Same for topics about anything. What you're saying is "If you don't like it, don't look." which is OK, it's just you can just about say that about ANY kind of thread about ANYTHING.
Μάρδας

Threadstrong
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Threadstrong » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:56 am

Timofei_Bashkirov wrote:
Threadstrong wrote:If someone happens to be gay or bisexual, then look the fuck away, it doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever.
Same for topics about religion in politics. Same for topics about anything. What you're saying is "If you don't like it, don't look." which is OK, it's just you can just about say that about ANY kind of thread about ANYTHING.
I'm not advocating for religion and political threads to be instantly closed either. I'm advocating in favor of keeping LGBT+ discussions open. People should be free to discuss what they want (within reason) until it just gets wildly out of hand. Even then, I believe staff should remove people from the forum who aren't civilized enough to partake in actual discussions. However, politics and religion are just naturally more divisive than sexual orientation. We all see how seriously people take religion and politics on this forum.

Sylveon
Gold Donator
Gold Donator
Ingame name: Ashe Komeiji

Post by Sylveon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:00 am

If it doesn't concern you. Why get involved? This thread sounds like 'oh but mummy, I want the purple balloon' which is childish. If you want to keep the forum strictly gaming. Then you'd have to rid the forum of the whole off-topic section.

People come to the Internet to be themselves. The Internet is where you'll find most people like myself who are bisexual and people like Barnesky who are gay. Yes, I agree you should be allowed religious threads. But, making a suggestion and having it sound like this seems childish.
Ashe Komeiji - [Hiatus]
Joshua MacCarthy
Anna Nishikinomiya

dogman
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by dogman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:17 am

Sylveon wrote: People come to the Internet to be themselves. The Internet is where you'll find most people like myself who are bisexual and people like Barnesky who are gay. Yes, I agree you should be allowed religious threads. But, making a suggestion and having it sound like this seems childish.

The point was never to cover and hide the fact that some people are homosexual, bi-sexual and so on, but the fact that this is a gaming forum, the closure of select threads about politics and religion should only follow with the closure of the LGBT+ thread, is not about you, is about the fact that this is not a forum for that. No, no all the off-topic threads should be deleted, and why? Because they serve somewhat a purpose that still falls under a normal gaming forum, and that is to socialize, however the LGBT+ thread was made, exactly for questions about the whole LGBT+ community, and all I see on the thread is either bashing between people and generally people making fun of the thread, weirdly enough you don't seem to notice that.

Also, do you wanna know what is childish? This is chlidsh. "Ha, ha! I still have my toy and you lost yours!"

Threadstrong
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Threadstrong » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:21 am

dogman wrote:The point was never to cover and hide the fact that some people are homosexual, bi-sexual and so on, but the fact that this is a gaming forum, the closure of select threads about politics and religion should only follow with the closure of the LGBT+ thread, is not about you, is about the fact that this is not a forum for that. No, no all the off-topic threads should be deleted, and why? Because they serve somewhat a purpose that still falls under a normal gaming forum, and that is to socialize, however the LGBT+ thread was made, exactly for questions about the whole LGBT+ community, and all I see on the thread is either bashing between people and generally people making fun of the thread, weirdly enough you don't seem to notice that.
That makes no sense. The LGBT+ thread is used to socialize as well, just like all the other off-topic threads, so why close it? If people are flaming each other on it, then staff should handle it the same way they handle flaming on any other thread, through bans and warns.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”