Tying and blindfolding

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Junior Developers, Lead Admins, Web Developers, Developers

Juma Vonbingo
Gangster
Gangster

Tying and blindfolding

Post by Juma Vonbingo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:20 am

Similar to the new frisk system, players should be able to tie and blindfold their victims, using /tie [id] and /tie accept, /blindfold [id] and /blindfold accept.

The /tie command is currently an official faction command which I believe is rarely being used, if at all. I know it's one of those advantages official factions get for putting in good work and high level roleplay for the server, but unlike faction vehicles, gun shops, chop shops and such, the /tie command is really just a very simple command that any player should be able to do, and based on what I've seen it's barely being used at all. Correct me if I'm wrong. Of course this command will be used in a vehicle only.

As for /blindfold, it's currently useless unless you're roleplaying a blind man or really choose to blindfold yourself during a roleplay scene where you are being blindfolded. Many many players would love to really blindfold others during nice kidnapping or robbery scenes (or even a birthday party surprise). This would add a fear aspect to roleplay and players would really get mind fucked not knowing where they are, just like in real life.

Any player can /untie and /unblindfold another player so long as he is not tied himself and everything is done realistically. You can't untie or unblindfold yourself unless you time out or relog.
Nicholas Hayward.

Zuthrex
Special Snowflake
Special Snowflake
Ingame name: Scary_Lawyer

Re: Tying and blindfolding

Post by Zuthrex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:28 am

With regard to /tie, I addressed this in the other topic as well - there should be a way to release someone instantly if you have what is considered to be a sharp object (scripted knife, clothing screwdriver, katana, etc.) or release someone over an amount of time (timer delay of like 20 seconds) with /untie.

Since we have guard cards now and security guards are technically authorized to use handcuffs for citizens arrests, there should be a way to obtain handcuffs and use /handcuff on people (if you have the guard card you should be able to buy the handcuff permission, which would be name-binding like the license itself, from Ammunation).

With /blindfold, the radar would need to be blocked (maybe with a big black text draw to block it?)/removed for the person blindfolded else the purpose of it is defeated and the person could MG where they are by looking at the radar. If a person is blindfolded and has no way of knowing via radar where they are, a certain degree of fear is in fact in play - what is around me, who is around me, where am I, and other serious concerns come to mind naturally.
I am but a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Carry forth my legacy, children of the flame, for my time here is finished.

Juma Vonbingo
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Juma Vonbingo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:51 am

Lawbringer wrote:With regard to /tie, I addressed this in the other topic as well - there should be a way to release someone instantly if you have what is considered to be a sharp object (scripted knife, clothing screwdriver, katana, etc.) or release someone over an amount of time (timer delay of like 20 seconds) with /untie.

I don't think the OOC time it takes to untie someone is crucial. As I have said, it just has to be roleplayed through. If it's a strong tie the untying player will have to roleplay cutting it open or use a few roleplay commands to go through the knots, which would take around the same time you suggested.
If people decide to use /tie and roleplay tying the guy with 20 ropes, for example, then obviously the 20 ropes would have to be roleplayed cut off or the knots untied one by one.
What I mean to say is, if there's no option of untying in IC forms there's obviously no way of using /untie, otherwise you'd be breaking the rules and powergaming. We're here to roleplay more and use timers and forced script less.

Lawbringer wrote:Since we have guard cards now and security guards are technically authorized to use handcuffs for citizens arrests, there should be a way to obtain handcuffs and use /handcuff on people (if you have the guard card you should be able to buy the handcuff permission, which would be name-binding like the license itself, from Ammunation).

I honestly don't know much about these guard cards and they are irrelevant to this suggestion. I'm suggesting two commands here that would be available for every player's use, and are unrelated to handcuffs as well.

Lawbringer wrote:With /blindfold, the radar would need to be blocked (maybe with a big black text draw to block it?)/removed for the person blindfolded else the purpose of it is defeated and the person could MG where they are by looking at the radar. If a person is blindfolded and has no way of knowing via radar where they are, a certain degree of fear is in fact in play - what is around me, who is around me, where am I, and other serious concerns come to mind naturally.

Use /blindfold in game, the mini-map does not show.
A suggestion to removing the menu map has also been forwarded. viewtopic.php?f=322&t=131715
Nicholas Hayward.

Sir Eric.
Spam Machine
Spam Machine
Ingame name: Eric_Blackwell

Post by Sir Eric. » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:03 pm

One of the reasons we rarely use these commands is because this is a roleplay server, the use of cool commands and functions has always been a wish among most of us, although as time goes by and the experience bar grows, the need for this decreases. It works fine just using roleplay with simple /me's and it has for a very long time.

Implementing the command won't decrease any reports about powergame, it'll just promote a more RPGish server replacing the standard of roleplay with a lower standard along with commands.
Retired from all tester related work, Sir Eric is a free elf.

Juma Vonbingo
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Juma Vonbingo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Sir Eric. wrote:Implementing the command won't decrease any reports about powergame, it'll just promote a more RPGish server replacing the standard of roleplay with a lower standard along with commands.

I don't agree. There are kidnappers in-game who cannot afford to reveal their location and /blindfold can be easily abused. With the current system you can't even know if the player is using a blindfold or not, OOC-wise. This offers two-player interaction with one having to request the blindfold and the other accepting it, very simple and comes along with great roleplay.
You could've said the same about using /frisk being "RPGish" before it get implemented yet it is apparently a great addition to the server that avoids a hassle on the report player thread and gets things done quick with no /b arguments. You got blindfolded, accept the blindfold request, real simple. Same goes for tying, you got tied up, just accept the command. This enables people to efficiently kidnap practically anyone, without having to start OOC arguments about whether or not they have to use the /blindfold command or if they can move out of the car suddenly.

You don't even have to use these commands, they're just optional. I don't see the RPG aspect of my suggestion, seems very effective to me.
Nicholas Hayward.

Billy_Cooper
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Billy_Cooper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:50 am

Sir Eric. wrote:One of the reasons we rarely use these commands is because this is a roleplay server, the use of cool commands and functions has always been a wish among most of us, although as time goes by and the experience bar grows, the need for this decreases. It works fine just using roleplay with simple /me's and it has for a very long time.

Implementing the command won't decrease any reports about powergame, it'll just promote a more RPGish server replacing the standard of roleplay with a lower standard along with commands.

It's not RPGish and promoting powergame, it's some kind that he was improving the gameplay. I dont see wrong about this suggestion because as far as you can see in his opnion that if you are tying somebody with a command /tie, there would be a message pop up to the screen just like /fisk if he accept it or not.

Yes
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Yes » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:15 pm

This is already in-game for official factions.

Tank
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Tank » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Yes wrote:This is already in-game for official factions.

Read the full thread before giving your feedback please.

Marcus.
Marcus.
Marcus.

Post by Marcus. » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Forwarded for review.
THE FUTURE WE LIVE TODAY; GET UP; GET UP; AND ERASE; THE BARRICADE
#RandomWhiteDJ

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development
Ingame name: Lucas Foreman