[Guide] How to Roleplay a Proper Racing Faction

Find all sorts of guides created by our community here. Includes guides such as drug use, roleplaying different types of characters, weapons etc.

Moderators: Junior Admins, Senior Lead Admins

Forum rules
The guides you see here have been unofficially created by the players, for the players. LSRP cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any of the content you see here.
RPG-7
Gangster
Gangster

[Guide] How to Roleplay a Proper Racing Faction

Post by RPG-7 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:41 am

Everything listed here should help you improve roleplaying as a street racer also more is added from time to time.

I have searched the forums for like a day now looking at racing factions, seeing what made them close or get flammed with hate.

Roleplaying a street racer isn't as hard as you think, it's pretty simply. People tend to start racing factions and jump right into the action. (This isn't racing factions only). Jumping right into the action isn't the best route. Start from character development. Base you character on not knowing much on cars and develop your character. Some factions went and raced our in unpopulated areas, fearing cops. The point of street racing is the thrill of racing in the city and also fearing that the police will show up at any moment.

Another thing I saw on threads were the type of cars some of the racers used. Expensive cars such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Koenigsegg, etc are a big no no. And don't get me started on the R34s. For the last time, R34 are illegal in the state of San Andreas. Racer won't be able to afford cars unless you're pulling shit out your ass.As you may know, almost everyone interested in racing on this server has seen atleast one installment of the Fast and the Furious franchise. Let me clear something up about the cars you see in these films. THIS. IS. HOLLYWOOD. There, it's been said. Now, let's clear some things up. I will be going on each car I see commonly enough, in no specific order.

Learn the difference between riced and tuned.
I saw in some screenshots : /do R34 | Weliside bodykit | Racing Orange | Lowered | 570 HP ((Name))

First please understand what bodykits are made for your vehicle. Never put your HP in your /do because no one cam see HP, this goes for coilovers (Depends on the state of the car) Racing whatever color, just no. No no no no no no.

Good:
Spoiler: show

Bad

A few dos and donts.
By GoverningNick

Do: Learn beforehand. Learn to proper roleplay behind maintaining an average vehicle, let alone a race-prepped sports car. Recommendations: Haynes Manuals HERE and Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 HERE

Don't: Take popular car culture as a inspiration or guide. Examples of pop culture not to learn from: Need for Speed, Fast and the Furious, and this should go without saying, but, Redline. Both the Japanese one, because well, it's more sci-fi than anything. And the American Redline, because, well, it's obvious.

Do: Act as a street racer actually would. As someone who has actually been around the scene (Source: Live in So-Cal IRL), most racers- well, all racers that have a license- do not hang around the local hotspot, and challenge people to race in broad daylight, especially on the main street.

Don't: Act like a idiot. This should go without saying, but racers don't and shouldn't be constantly hooning on public streets. In the real world, it's a slide away from losing your car and your license.

Do: Roleplay within realistic standards of your car. No matter what your magical /do bind says, nothing is going to change the fact that a Sabre using Nitrous Oxide will pass an Elegy using Nitrous Oxide. Infact, why are people using Nitrous Oxide in roleplay anyway? Where I'm from, there's a saying about using the magical blue fire stuff, "The bottle goes in, the piston comes out."

Don't: Make your car excessively flashy. Despite what you may see in films and TV shows, even video games, the majority of street racers that I have encountered have close to any of the amount of the visual modifications that you're likely to see on the average "Racer's" Elegy parked in the mall lot. Infact, I've noticed a trend of keeping a 'stealth' look to your car, in hopes of making it more incognito and the like incase Law Enforcement decides to make a visit. That brings me to my next point.

Do: Roleplay intelligently with LEOs. Although the attitude in some "racerz" on this server is to the likes of a certain N.W.A song Link to Fuck tha' Police, in real life, as expected, street racers tend to be as polite as possible to officers if they're pulled over. After all, they can already fuck you so hard you feel like you're already in prision, but the general rule is also the rule of common courtesy: Treat others the way you want to be treated. You understand that, my little mall racers? It mean, that if you consistantly annoy and bother the police officer, he may let you off with just a ticket, or even a warning.

Now, for the next part: Using the correct cars in roleplay.
"LS-RP TAKES PLACE IN SAN ANDREAS, NOT CALIFORNIA! RAGE! RAGE! RAGE!"

Now, while the person above is correct, they also forget that despite California not existing in the GTA Universe, that San Andreas is still in the USA, and hence, adheres to common law. LS-RP is no exception to being in the USA, as it can be confirmed on several, if not tons of official in-character documents, take the PF application for example. Now, back to the cars.
As you may know, almost everyone interested in racing on this server has seen atleast one installment of the Fast and the Furious franchise. Let me clear something up about the cars you see in these films. THIS. IS. HOLLYWOOD. There, it's been said. Now, let's clear some things up. I will be going on each car I see commonly enough, in no specific order. Let's start with an old favorite.

The BNR34/33/32 Nissan Skyline.
No. No. No. Actually, I'll tell the full story. It's the only way it will make sense. So, once upon a time in the late nineties to early two-thousands, there was a company named, 'Moterex.' Motorex specialized in importing and exporting both forign and domestic cars, to and from both the United States and Japan. Motorex's most popular industry, however, was the importing and selling the the 'legendary' Nissan Skyline series. In 1998, Motorex set it's first step in selling the Skyline to America when it sent a R33 GTR to be crashed-tested with the DOT. (Department of Transportation, a USA Government Department) The R33 passed most of the requirements, save for the side-impact. Henceforth, a lower-door bar was required to be installed, along with a few other confidential modifications required to be installed by motorex before the Skyline could be sold. Now, this is where things to to get rolling. With the release of films such as the first two installments of the Fast and the Furious franchise, the general American public was shown the R33 and R34 GTRs. (Appearences listed are respective.) This new surge in the fame and rarity of a Skyline made them start rolling out of the Motorex warehouse in Los Angeles. However, this couldn't last long. And last long it surely didn't. In late 2005 a detective in the LAPD, Detective Serna, was called to investigate a break in on the Motorex warehouse. The situation seemed odd to him, as he stated in the file. "The lock was not cut," and "They didn't seem too interested in finding these cars." As time went on, the investigative machine of the LAPD went to work, turning up new, daming evidence at every turn of the crank. Rumors of Yakuza involvement, cocaine use, and more crimes that the owners and partners committed. However, the final nail in the Skyline was the unveiling of how Motorex was classifying the other generations of Skyline they were selling at the time, the R32 and the R34. Much to the shock of the investigators, Motorex had simply classed the R32 and R34 as different models of the R33, rather than different generations. Even more so, a decent majority of the Skylines that had already been sold, and were waiting to ship, had none of the required modifications, such as the door bars I mentioned earlier. The government had decided they didn't want a whiff of these cars again, so they effectively banned any more Skylines coming into the United States, unless they comply with the 25 Year Rule.

"BUT I SAW THIS PICTURE OF A SKYLINE IN THE UNITED STATES!!!!! EXPLAIN THAT!"

Simple, the ruling was that no more Skylines were to be allowed imported until they complied to the 25 Year Rule. Meaning, of course, that the Skylines brought in legally by Motorex are still around, but the number gets fewer and fewer as time goes by, and the cost of a Motorex Skyline goes up and up. Today, you can fetch a well-used Motorex R33 for the smooth cost of 80,000 US Dollars.

It would be extremely wrong to not mention the R32 Skylines produced in years 1989 and 1990, however. Due to compliance with the 25 Year Rule, all 1989 Skylines and all 1990 Skylines to the month are allowed importation into the United States. However, this is still very, very, costly. The total costs of buying, shipping, importing, and registering a R32 Skyline as of now are still way up there, around half the price of a Motorex R33, which I mentioned earlier as fetching around 80,000 US Dollars.

All in all, R34s are a no-no, R33s are a no-no, and R32s are a very, very, very slim 'maybe.'
All in all, R34s are a no-no, R33s are a no-no, and R32s are a very, very, very slim 'maybe.

The S15/14/13 Nissan Silvia. (Also known as the 200sx and 240sx.)

Oh boy, let's get the ball rolling again. The first Nissan S-Chassis was sold in the United States under the model name, '240sx', due to it's 2.4L KA24E engine. These first 240s were what other countries know as the 180sx, and were produced with the designation of "S13." However, there were 240sx coupes produced and sold too, and these 240s were essentially just S13 Silvias with the front end of a 180sx. For reference, this is a 240 fastback HERE and this is a 240 coupe. And HERE There was also a 240sx convertible or "Vert" produced, but it is essentially a S13 coupe with the roof cut off. In 1991, the 240sx recieved some updates. The engines in 240s after 1991 were all the DOHC KA24DE, instead of the previous SOHC KA24E. Other updates inlcuded new OEM wheels, and a facelift to the front bumper. With this, options such as ABS and a Limited-Slip Differential were added as dealership options.

In 1994, Nissan began selling the second-generation of 240sx in America, the S14. The S14 carrried the same DOHC KA24DE that the post-1991 240s did, and in 1997 the S14 recieved the facelift that many refer to as the 'Kouki.' All 1994-1997 240s are known as the Zenki, respectively. The last S14 240sx rolled out of the factory in July of 1998.

In 1998, there were no more S-Chassis being sold by dealerships in America. The S15 was never sold, and few have touched American soil, save for th eone the Universal Studios brought in the generate publicity for The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. This S15 is now owned by a private party, and there is a SpeedHunters article on it if my memory serves me correctly. However, since the S15 is definitely not in compliance with the 25 Year Rule, there is no chance of importing one. Infact, a man in the Southern United Sates is facing ten years in prision and a 250,000 US Dollar fine for attempting to import a S15.

All in all, the S15 is a big, fat, no. The S14 and S13 are completely good to go, though.
All in all, the S15 is a big, fat, no. The S14 and S13 are completely good to go, though.
Last edited by RPG-7 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

CreatorZ
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: CJNGs Grim Reaper

Re: [Guide] How to Roleplay a Proper Racing Faction

Post by CreatorZ » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:12 pm

I actually like this, thanks for showing this to the people of LS:RP :D
Pull Up Boys
TEAM DAMIAN.
Killer Badge: show

barneymk
BMW

Post by barneymk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:39 am

I've read it carefully, looks clean and explains a lot of things. Nice one bud :)

RPG-7
Gangster
Gangster

Post by RPG-7 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:56 am

barneymk wrote:I've read it carefully, looks clean and explains a lot of things. Nice one bud :)
Thanks we try to help everyone. Gangs are our next topic.

TetleY.
Mafia
Mafia

Post by TetleY. » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:52 pm

What I always hated in those people rp'ing wannabe racers was their do's with their pimped out cars with tons of power, not even thinking for a second whether the car would be considered street legal after those modifications. I think no one ever roleplayed taking their tuned out car to testing centre/diagnosis station to find out wheter they'd be allowed to legally drive the car on public roads or not.

That's a fucking failure. Most of them were /leaning in Idlewood or at the Mall anyways.
Good to see you opening eyes to some people, especially about Skylines.

Knowing two engines type aka 2JZ-GTE or RB26DETT doesn't make you car spec either.

Zupps
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Ingame name: You already know

Post by Zupps » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:56 am

Believe it or not, you can import a S15. It just costs a boat load of money. It sucks a lot of cars from Japan are illegal here.

Lord Of War
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Lord Of War » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:44 pm

Very helpful.

SCANDALOUZ
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: Michael Wrynn

Post by SCANDALOUZ » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:22 pm

While I like the "guide" overall and most of its mentallity, I have some constructive criticism.

R34's being a no go?
Absolutely a fucking nope. Forget about Fast & Furious (please) and forget about Need For Speed.

1) R34's are actually loved by racers due to the RB26DETT being extremely durable to tuning. You can get mad performance out the 2.6 without breaking it into pieces.
2) San Andreas is not California, deal with it. There is currently no OOC/IC policy strictkly banning R34's. And even if they are banned, you can always get your hands on an already smuggled and unregistered R34 here in San Andreas. And if you can't find any - If you have pockets deep enough alongside some contacts - I am pretty sure you can get one smuggled in the states for you. There's some possible role play with the MOB for you.
3) Expensive? Sure. Not all racers are poor blokes contrary to a popular belief. Whlsit some people can be mostly dedicated to it and waste every penny on their car - some people might actually see automobiles and speed/reckless driving as a hobby whlist having some solid income from other and real areas of employment.

Bottom line is this, I don't think people should consider R34's a definite no go, rather than approach them carefully.
You can have your own R34's in San Andreas (probably a registered one as well) and you are very welcome to race in it (implying you can afford the car on a first place).

Now, if you consider this one riced and impossible to get and a definite no go for street racing, I don't know what to tell you:

TLDR:
My best and personal advise is to feel free to drive your own R34. Although if you want to fully avoid taking any flock from the community - roll an illegal/unregistered one.
Obviously I woudn't use that said unregistered R34 to stroll around the city, but only take it out at nights for some races.

Considering I did waste 230,000~ on my Elegy - I can guarantee you that I'll drive an R34 in one way or another.
Heart of a soldier with a brain to teach your whole nation.

Zupps
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Zupps » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:23 pm

God you're such a fast and furious fanboy. So let's get to the point. It's incredibly hard to obtain a R34 and just because it's San Andreas it's based off of California in the United States. So not only is it extremely hard but it's also very expensive. You have to legally buy it. Import it. Cost and fees. Also not to mention the amount of things you would have to so. It doesn't take 1 week it can take up as long as 6 montns. So let's be realistic here.

SCANDALOUZ
Mafia
Mafia

Post by SCANDALOUZ » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:12 pm

Zupps wrote:God you're such a fast and furious fanboy. So let's get to the point. It's incredibly hard to obtain a R34 and just because it's San Andreas it's based off of California in the United States. So not only is it extremely hard but it's also very expensive. You have to legally buy it. Import it. Cost and fees. Also not to mention the amount of things you would have to so. It doesn't take 1 week it can take up as long as 6 montns. So let's be realistic here.
If we are to be realtic you should realise that ICly:
Los Santos = Los Santos
LA = LA

They are not the same thing, we're not in LA Icly, we are in Los Santos, and LA is still a thing.

Dig what I'm saying?

I'm hardly a fast and furious fan boy, and I am not saying it is a one day job to get yourself an R34 and become a racer, I am saying that anyone saying the R34 is a definite no go here in San Andreas is wrong.

And you are right, you do have to legally buy it, import it and all that, but you also forget that you can always buy it off from soneone who already has one imported here in San Andreas, especially if you have connections with the racing communities and perhaps get a little lucky.

I'm not a fan boy, I am being realistic, and the R34 being a definite no go is not realistic, at all.

Get it right, mhm?

TLDR:
Saying *any* car is no good and should never be used for a racing concept is not being realistic at all.
You can get whatever the fuck you want. What is better and more efficient for the concept, and what is harder to obtain than others is an entirely different topic. Hard /= Impossible.

Be realistic when you wanna preach about realism, and next time you label me a fast and furious fan boy please elaborate a bit on that one, it's no my fault F&F has a Skyline in it. It is generally a great sport car.

Zupps
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Zupps » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:15 pm

I can almost guarantee that you didn't know what a skyline was until F&F. Then you instantly like it. We are Los Santos based off of L.A which is in California like I said. Please import a illegal car and watch that happens. Look up what a guy did with a land Rover I think it was. Please look up what happened. Be my guest. If you're going to RP having a R34 I would suggest donate $200k after the purchase of a car that you want to RP a R34.

SCANDALOUZ
Mafia
Mafia

Post by SCANDALOUZ » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:08 pm

Zupps wrote:I can almost guarantee that you didn't know what a skyline was until F&F. Then you instantly like it. We are Los Santos based off of L.A which is in California like I said. Please import a illegal car and watch that happens. Look up what a guy did with a land Rover I think it was. Please look up what happened. Be my guest. If you're going to RP having a R34 I would suggest donate $200k after the purchase of a car that you want to RP a R34.
See here is your problem my friend.
If you are going to try and act elitist, at least have grounds and facts to step on and build your arguments around.
Childish speculations, assumptions and a lot of passive aggression are not the way to do it, not to mention that your entire paragraph come out as if you weren't even born when F&f came out. Please, let's not go down that road.

For oen last time, as far as In Character goes - Los Santos is the city of Los Santos, not the city of Los Angeles. (not vry relevant covnersation to the topic anyway)

Get it right.

I hope when you say donate you mean /charity.
Fair. Roleplay with the right people and either:
1. Buy an R34
2. Get an R43 imported for you ilegally.

-- > Buy an elegy.
-- > Charity some money.

Here goes your R34.

Again my point is proven, it's not a definite no go, that's the sole thing I have been argueing about, nothing is a definite no go and saying it is a definite no go is a generally bad advise and far from the truth.

Hidendra
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Richard Hasekura

Post by Hidendra » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:43 pm

Skylines are illegal in all of the U.S, not just L.A. So you should always roleplay them as being illegal, since LS is located in the U.S.

Jana Schreiner - Returned to Germany
Takumi Mutsu - Working in Houston
Richard Hasekura - Living in Los Santos

SCANDALOUZ
Mafia
Mafia

Post by SCANDALOUZ » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Hidendra wrote:Skylines are illegal in all of the U.S, not just L.A. So you should always roleplay them as being illegal, since LS is located in the U.S.
Doesn't mean you should consider Skylines a definite no go though.
Hide them in a garage and take them out during night times and out of the city for some races. ;)
/thread

Zupps
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Zupps » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Do you not understand how hard it is to illegally import a skyline and especially if you're a idiot and get arrested for Street racing and ties to this and that they can find it, fine you, arrest you and crush the car. Be realistic here.

Return to “Player-Created Guides”