[GUIDE] IRC The Easy Way

Find all sorts of guides created by our community here. Includes guides such as drug use, roleplaying different types of characters, weapons etc.

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Player Support Mods, Lead Admins

Forum rules
The guides you see here have been unofficially created by the players, for the players. LSRP cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any of the content you see here.
Brick
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Nick Brick

[GUIDE] IRC The Easy Way

Post by Brick » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 pm

First things first, Aero has made a good guide before me. You can read it here, and it is currently used as 'official' guide. This will be a cross-platform guide to get on IRC.

Aero wrote:What is mIRC?: mIRC is a popular Internet Relay Chat client used by millions of people, and thousands of organizations, to communicate, share, play and work with each other on IRC networks around the world. Serving the Internet community for over a decade, mIRC has evolved into a powerful, reliable and fun piece of technology.

Why do I want IRC?: IRC is used by a lot of members of the LS:RP community. It's a great way to get in contact with a lot of our community. You can get in contact with admins/tester's easier through IRC. Get to meet a lot of new people, and hold an enjoyable conversation.

How to get on IRC?: Follow the following instructions, and I'll walk you through on how to get in LS:RP's IRC network.

I am not satisfied with Aero's guide for one reason, and that is his choice of software. As it currently is, mIRC is a very complicated piece of software that requires you to know the IRC protocol inside out before you actually start using it. On top of that, it's paid software, often pirated, and has nasty little quirks. For my guide, I'll be using an open source piece of software called Pidgin that works splendidly for its purpose, though admittedly doesn't have the same amount of options mIRC has.

What is Pidgin?: Pidgin is an easy to use open source chat program that can connect with more than a dozen of protocols. It uses the same interface for every protocol you may wish to add to it, including (but not restricted to) Google Talk, MSN, Yahoo!, AIM and most importantly; IRC. It has all basic functionality, and plug-ins can be used to add extra functionality/protocols.

Let's get started. This is written using Linux (Ubuntu 12.04), so don't freak out because you see a different user interface.

Step 1

If you have Linux: Install Pidgin from your repositories.
If you have Windows: Go to this page and download and install Pidgin.
If you have OS X: Go to this page and download and install Adium, or go to this page and compile Pidgin from source. NOTE: I do not work with OS X at all, and cannot guarantee that this guide will work for you.

Step 2

Start Pidgin. Note for Windows users: If you ever have trouble opening Pidgin, look in the bottom right corner of your screen to open it up. You will be greeted by this blank screen:

Step 3

Select "Accounts → Manage Accounts" or press "CTRL + A". You will be greeted by this window:

Step 4

Select "Add...".

Step 5

Select IRC from the list. Write a username you'd like to use in the correct field. You can leave "Local alias" and "Password" blank, but you may use the same alias as your username.
For the server, because this is LS-RP, fill in:
EU: eu.irc.tl
US: us.irc.tl

Step 6
In the "Advanced" tab, write down your username again and insert anything for your real name.

Step 7
Click "Add" and close the the other overlapping windows to go back to a blank "Buddy List".

Step 8
Select "Buddies → Add Chat...". You will see this window:

Step 9
Insert all details! They're pretty self-explanatory. The main LS-RP channel uses #ls-rp. A note: "Alias" is the full name you'd like to give to the channel. You can leave it empty, or give it a proper name. You'll also need to assign the channel a group. I write "IRC" down for all my IRC channels.

Step 10
Click "Add". The channel will now appear in your buddy list. You can join it at will, and start using IRC.

Step 11 (OPTIONAL)
Register your username. Join the channel and write down "/msg nickserv register". This will open a separate "NickServ" window. We will use this window to actually register. Write down "/msg nickserv register yourpasswordhere fakeemailaddresshere". Just don't use your real e-mail address. I used "[email protected]". Your nickname - unless already taken - will now be registered for you.

To log in, write down "/msg nickserv identify yourpasswordhere". Alternatively, automatically log in by going back to "Accounts → Manage Accounts", and select "Modify...". Then insert your password.

Step 12 (OPTIONAL)
This is something majorly important for a lot of IRC users. Because a lot of people just roam in the IRC channel all day and don't actually use it to chat, they won't respond to you unless you say the magic word: their name. This will activate a sound notification for them, and they'll be aware someone wants to talk to them. In the Buddy List, select "Tools → Preferences" and select "Sound" in the options menu. Scroll down the tiny list until you see "Someone says your username in chat". Select that. You may also fiddle around with other settings to your likings.

That's all, folks
IRC the easy way. Enjoy chatting with everyone. I'm almost entirely positive you'll enjoy Pidgin a lot more than mIRC. Here's why (credits to Aero for the last picture):
VS.

damaz
God of Spammers
God of Spammers

Re: [GUIDE] IRC The Easy Way

Post by damaz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:45 pm

In my eyes www.mibbit.com is a lot easier. But this is a nice guide. Great job.
i was head of testers, head of factions and an in-game lead admin. i also led a faction called Beasley & Associates now i'm just that washed up swede

Spearmint
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: John Bodenheimer

Post by Spearmint » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Thankyou! Helped me out alot. Nice guide.
ROY D. HACKETT
CARSON

JOHN F. BODENHEIMER
SAN ANDREAS SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT

Bacardi
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: T. Yoshiro

Post by Bacardi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:11 am

Looks awesome. I might use this one instead of mIRC.

MeloMan
Mr. Untouchable
Mr. Untouchable
Ingame name: MeloManstar

Post by MeloMan » Fri May 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Great tutorial, thanks.

Fuc
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Fuc » Sat May 25, 2013 3:45 am

Honestly I prefer the normal mIRC client, it's old and I'm used to it. But nice guide though.

Crusader
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by Crusader » Sat May 25, 2013 5:30 pm

This worked for me after IRC gave out on me.
Thanks a bunch Brick!

Sparx
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Jason Dempster

Post by Sparx » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:45 am

Very nice guide. Installed it there, and seems to be working alot better than mIRC. :)
Retired IG Lead Administrator @focolsrp | @focosparx
"Some people get their kicks, stomping on a dream"

extreme2146enigma
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by extreme2146enigma » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:41 am

Thank you, pal. Very helpful 4 me.

Buster
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Buster_Test

Post by Buster » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:17 am

Works for me. Thanks man, great guide!

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God."
- Matthew 5:9 -

Tommy ツ
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: Hunter Anderson

Post by Tommy ツ » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Wonderful guide, thanks!

Mikee
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Post by Mikee » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:33 pm

Looks awesome. I might use this one instead of mIRC.
Mikee
Head of Mikee’s Mapping
Mapper
Junior Scripter
Designer

Support
Send a ticket
Questions / Technical Support
Contact Information
Telegram: @mikeejr
Discord: Mikee#5124

If you are a mapper and you want to join the Mikee's Mapping Team contact me privately.

Basketballplayer
- Silver Member -
- Silver Member -
Ingame name: Bogdan Lukyanenko

Post by Basketballplayer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:36 am

Thanks dude. You really help me a lot.
Bogdan Lukyanenko - Russian Imigrant
S&G Private Security - Senior security guard
Trucker Union Red County - Ex Co Manager - Professional trucker
Questions and technical support - Tutorials and guides - Faction forum - Need help? PM me here

Wahiro
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: miyazaki

Post by Wahiro » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks a lot.
the autoglass trophy

ChickFromVenus
Gangster
Gangster