Web Development

Scripter or interested in scripting? This place just may fancy to your likings!
F Sullivan
Mafia
Mafia

Re: Web Development

Post by F Sullivan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:04 pm

Good stuff. Haven't done much personal stuff recently, but I've been wanting to focus on using Vue in a future project. Looks great so far.

Badman Mike
LS:RP Tester

Post by Badman Mike » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:57 pm

why is node so much ahrder than php what the heck

F Sullivan
Mafia
Mafia

Post by F Sullivan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:54 am

The joys of working within a native event-oriented environment... if you're using Node, make sure you're also using NPM to make things easier for yourself.

Varsatorul
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Varsatorul » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:54 am

F Sullivan wrote:The joys of working within a native event-oriented environment... if you're using Node, make sure you're also using NPM to make things easier for yourself.
I'd also recommend using the n version manager to save yourself some headaches when dealing with different versions of node.

Currently I use the n-install script to first install node and manage it from the Home folder on linux but you can use it with a previous installed version too.

https://github.com/tj/n

Also at some point I'd recommend switching to Ubuntu or some other linux distro if you're going to program in Python/PHP/Node to save yourself further headaches when deploying web apps on a VPS.

And speaking of VPS! I recommend Digital Ocean because at some point you'll need a VPS if you're doing something other than PHP. They also have some good guides about deploying and securing web apps and all that is basic sysadmin-ing and devops.

Here's a referral link that gets you $10 credit or almost 2 months (depending on VAT) of the first tier of hosting: https://m.do.co/c/1cd34dab989f

Though if you'd rather avoid the hassle of administrating your own server I'd suggest Heroku's free and hobby tiers. I've used them in the past for the socket.io intro tutorial and it worked nicely.

Oh and finally if you aren't using git for version control you should start learning it right away, the sooner the better.
WWW.VARSATORUL.NET
MODDING SHOWROOM

F Sullivan
Mafia
Mafia

Post by F Sullivan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:09 am

Varsatorul wrote:Also at some point I'd recommend switching to Ubuntu or some other linux distro if you're going to program in Python/PHP/Node to save yourself further headaches when deploying web apps on a VPS.
I'd disagree and say you'd be better off investing into deployment software such as Laravel Forge if you're really wanting to avoid any headaches.

Badman Mike

Post by Badman Mike » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:58 am

is app middleware in express executed on every request? say i'm doing jwt authentication with passport, and initialize all my passport stuff in my main app file, will it be run every time a request is made? once a user has registered and authenticated, a json web token with their info encrypted into it is signed and the user has to include that in the header of any request, but how does passport know it's there?

Return to “Scripting Section”