Forum for General LS-RP discussion.

Moderators: Game Admins, FM, Lead Admins

Zuthrex
Special Snowflake
Special Snowflake
Ingame name: Alexa_Fitz

Re: Police OOC Corruption Rules

Post by Zuthrex » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 am

I have always held persistently that any/all OOC faction rules beyond "dont get ajailed/banned or we can suspend/kick you" are total crap and just excuses for factions to enforce unrealistic expectations of perfection while removing their burden of finding IC evidence of wrongdoing. They're severely limiting to roleplay and arguably toxic. This, in my opinion, extends to OOC corruption rules.

If an officer chooses to roleplay corrupt, they should have to face the consequences if they get caught doing so - which eventually they will unless they're extremely careful. Internal Affairs, Force Investigations, and the Detective divisions would constantly be on someone's trail if they were significantly corrupt enough to raise any red flags. But, that's not how things are done- instead, people are kicked from factions, faction banned, server banned, etc. - anything but punished IC for IC actions.
little miss
poker champ
👉👌👅🍆

Pichu
Certified Pillock
Certified Pillock

Post by Pichu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:39 am

There are already enough bad ass cops without relaxing corruption rules, people bitch when cops aren't corrupt and bitch when they are whilst crying wolf straight to ia as if their their family was murdered. It's honestly disgusting at times.

That said you can't have it both ways, there needs to be rules in place to keep things proportionate and realistic, well as realistic as you can get on a server where most non-gov people are criminals. In the end corruption rules are up to the individual factions themselves and will have been run past Faction Management for approval. I doubt anything will change anytime soon.
Feel free to PM me for help
Community Page: Click Here

Current Characters:
Spoiler: show
Sheena Cadence Seizewell
Charlie Fearnestone

Molina
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: --

Post by Molina » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:32 am

2lucasl22 wrote:I can explain to you why these rules are in place. First of all, imagine the following scene, you create a casefile on someone, you spend 1 year working on it and at the very end, a detective decides to leak that information, that whole year of work would go down the toilet and be useless, most likely causing all the detectives involved to lose motivation because of what they were so close to achieve. I don't know about the other situations where a gang can actually try find out what the detectives have on them, but that's something who should be worked on so that all the parties involved don't get impaired.
And what if the guy you're casefiling has been working his way up for a year only to have it taken down by you?

You're both working for a year - why should it be cops who come out on top? Remove the corruption rule and let the chips fall where they may.

btw to anybody who might reply don't try and say "oh you're criminal rp'er, you don't understand" - well I do, I was P3 for a few months before resigning. Even then I thought the corruption rules were a joke.
Pichu wrote:There are already enough bad ass cops without relaxing corruption rules, people bitch when cops aren't corrupt and bitch when they are whilst crying wolf straight to ia as if their their family was murdered. It's honestly disgusting at times.

That said you can't have it both ways, there needs to be rules in place to keep things proportionate and realistic, well as realistic as you can get on a server where most non-gov people are criminals. In the end corruption rules are up to the individual factions themselves and will have been run past Faction Management for approval. I doubt anything will change anytime soon.

I completely agree with this. People will moan about cops being corrupt when they're corrupt, and they'll moan about them being 'robo cops' when they're not corrupt. They won't win and I too don't see it being changed anytime soon.

Deeclassify
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Deeclassify » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:23 am

I totally agree.
Jeanjacques Morales - Brown Pride - OL.
Feliks Dorokhov - Tsaryovskaya Bratva.

Threadstrong
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Threadstrong » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 am

Farrell wrote:Amen. That's something I actually miss, interaction with Detectives. Not bashing the current ones but I can't remember the last time I roleplayed with one properly on a criminal character, where the roleplay wasn't one-sided. Even the smallest of interaction means the most however there're some people out there who just seem like they'd prefer to spend their day investigating and camping you with a camera.
Out of curiosity, what kind of interactions would you want to have with detectives?

Farrell
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Farrell » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:42 am

Threadstrong wrote:
Farrell wrote:Amen. That's something I actually miss, interaction with Detectives. Not bashing the current ones but I can't remember the last time I roleplayed with one properly on a criminal character, where the roleplay wasn't one-sided. Even the smallest of interaction means the most however there're some people out there who just seem like they'd prefer to spend their day investigating and camping you with a camera.
Out of curiosity, what kind of interactions would you want to have with detectives?
One where the detective doesn't just straight up want to arrest you or is looking for a reason to. Only time I come across detectives on my current character and previous characters over the past four or so years is when they're trying to arrest someone or interview someone. I'm not here look back at the years before that and call it the glory ones but in terms of detective roleplay and roleplay around them, everyone who was there to see it knows it was. Back then, you'd actually be able to interact properly with detectives, made relationships with them and actually had reasons to fear them other than them camping your ass until you slip up.
I'm not here slating all detectives, I know there's a fair few out there who go through the effort to properly develop a character and interact with those around them but it seems like a complete rarity.
CORPORAL ADRIAN LOZA
SPECIAL ENFORCEMENT DETAIL - SPECTRE 2
EMERGENCY SERVICES DETAIL - GAMBLER 2
UNIFORMED SERVICES SECTION
NIGHT SHIFT - PATROL 1 - SECTION 2

Deeclassify
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Deeclassify » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:51 am

LazyEye wrote:Bigger problem would be people creating alt accounts just to simply leak details to there friends or be corrupt.
But if they're caught they obviously get fired.
Jeanjacques Morales - Brown Pride - OL.
Feliks Dorokhov - Tsaryovskaya Bratva.

Threadstrong
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Threadstrong » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:07 am

Farrell wrote: One where the detective doesn't just straight up want to arrest you or is looking for a reason to. Only time I come across detectives on my current character and previous characters over the past four or so years is when they're trying to arrest someone or interview someone. I'm not here look back at the years before that and call it the glory ones but in terms of detective roleplay and roleplay around them, everyone who was there to see it knows it was. Back then, you'd actually be able to interact properly with detectives, made relationships with them and actually had reasons to fear them other than them camping your ass until you slip up.
I'm not here slating all detectives, I know there's a fair few out there who go through the effort to properly develop a character and interact with those around them but it seems like a complete rarity.
As someone in the SASD who's trying to interact with criminal roleplayers, I feel that the current roleplay climate is heavily focused around an OOC 'us versus them' mentality on both sides of the coin. I've seen some criminal roleplayers outright refuse to roleplay with SD/PD members based on no previous interactions with them, as well as members in SD/PD refuse to roleplay with criminal roleplayers out of the (often irrational) fear that they'll be senselessly deathmatched.

All I want is to be able to go up to some kids on the block, smoke a cigarette, and just shoot the shit. I've had interactions like that before where there was a level of in character begrudging respect for one another, but that seems hard to accomplish nowadays.

yaga
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by yaga » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:17 am

Do you understand how buttfucked in the butt a gang would be dealt with if they killed a detective?

You're talking about how leaks from case files and shit happen IRL all the time but killing detectives doesn't lmao.

It sounds to me like you want certain instances of roleplay that benefit you to refect real life(leaking of case files) but are cool with shit like killing detectives and having nothing really happen to stay outside reflecting real life consequences

Molina
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: --

Post by Molina » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:30 am

yaga wrote:Do you understand how buttfucked in the butt a gang would be dealt with if they killed a detective?
Then let them be "buttfucked" if they get caught...

Airsoft Emma
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Airsoft Emma » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:23 am

The rules are pretty outdated. Like Wildcat / Ezio said,
Wildcat wrote:if Officer John Doe does favors for mob boss John Fahgettaboutti in return for money, he is corrupt.
I think the definition and rules should be reviewed and changed to better fit the time we're living in (2017).

Late
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Rafi Habeeb

Post by Late » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:33 am

I used to be corrupt detective back in 2009. Very fun times.
Rafi Habeeb

dzgapaan
Spam Machine
Spam Machine
Ingame name: Jonathan_Baccarini

Post by dzgapaan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:58 am

I hate OOC corruption rules. When I was in SADOC, I wanted to help few inmates in behaving bad, but hey? You are limited with OOC rules. I was in FD and I could not e smoke Marijuana or race, because it would be against OOC rules. There was a member who was fired in OOC, because he had a sex on duty. I mean, why is it a reason to fire someone in OOC? I am against all OOC rules about corruption. We are on role-play server and we are horribly limited in OOC and it's horrible. Why a cop should need a fucking OOC perm to beat up some gangbanger? I was in LSGOV and I could not be corrupted with out OOC permission? Why would I need to have an OOC permission to take money from my customer in order to close my eyes on some small violation? I hate this phrase: "If we allow corruption then everyone will create corrupted accs to help their friends". No, they won't make accs to help friends, because it's not easy to join a GOV faction and no one would want to risk their faction rank and RP, just to help someone. Also, why don't we create Anti-corruption faction ? Why can't we have a LEA faction that will hunt on corrupted cops, medics, government officials and so on. Oh I know-.. PD and SD don't want to be controlled by anyone and wants to be only the boss. Unfortunately, this has to be changed, official faction members should be allowed to be corrupt, but create a faction that will hunt on them. That's how it happens in real life.

Savini
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Savini » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:34 pm

There should be an application to become corrupt. Like the strawman applications, there should only be a few select people who get to do so.

Doakes
Crime Scene Investigator
Crime Scene Investigator
Ingame name: Doakes

Post by Doakes » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:01 pm

As an ex detective with three years of experience and leadership roles in detective divisions within PD, I can say that corruption rules are so damn tight that they're almost impossible to stick to even if you're roleplaying a casual good cop.

For those out there who use the "a year's work being thrown away" - do you play to win? Do you only enjoy the case if it goes through with success? I enjoyed over a hundred case files with a majority of those ending in failure.

Additionally, just like detectives invest a whole lot of time trying to bring down gangs, gang leaders work hard to get their gangs where they are.

Let me stress out that I don't think anyone should be allowed to role-play a corrupt detective. I think a small team of neutral admins can decide whether or not a player's reasons to make their characters go corrupt are legit and realistic.

PD detective bureau's leadership are responsible for keeping information on their forums properly restricted; they've done a great job with that so far.

Return to “General Discussions”