San Andreas Penal Code Rev. 1.0 (06/12/12)

Moderator: Senior Lead Admins

Kane!
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Re: San Andreas Penal Code Rev. 1.0 (06/12/12)

Post by Kane! » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:56 pm

One example!

(11)09. Tinted Windows
A vehicle that uses tints, or anonymizing shades on his or her windows on the front window ONLY - leading to an individual driving with tinted windows unable to be identified while driving
((driving and claiming you cannot be identified in the vehicle while driving is the OOC justification to this))
-Road Law (11)09 is an infraction of $2000 and a warning on the driver’s license at the officer’s discretion

You try to introduce ultra pro cop laws, euro like laws, to a game, that is literally set into the era of "80's Los Angeles".
Even today tinted windshields in us are allowed if they meet very low requirements. So it doesent matter if its not set in 80 LA but 2012 LA. Windshields are OK in US, you should make US laws, for a US setted game!
Thats a fact yo.

I could list a lot more stupid laws ppl would not even thought about these days.

Like this.Its my edit here..

omg

(9)01. Carrying A Concealed Dirk Or Dagger
A person who possesses any device over two inches in length which is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that might inflict great bodily injury or death
*any wieldable knife via your character is considered long enough to do this.
-Penal Code (9)01 is a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment of no less than 15 minutes and no more than 25 minutes.

While its not illegal most places to carry a knife, your reason for carrying it may make it illegal. You admit you are carrying it for self defense. That would make it a weapon. If you put it in your pocket that is a concealed weapon, and in most places you could be arrested for it.

However if you are carrying a knife because you open boxes with it at work, that would make it a tool, and therefore completely legal to carry.

Why dont you think about what you try to make law?
You really arrest players that roleplay their knifes for work, like mechanics for example bec of your two inch and " *any wieldable knife via your character is considered long enough to do this." ?!
Mask's are OOC
[quote="Damian"]Let's not even touch on the fact you guys are tossing 10s of millions of dollars around to each other as if you're playing hot potato.[/quote]

Laos_Macen
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Laos_Mason

Post by Laos_Macen » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Nikolai Romanow wrote:One example!

(11)09. Tinted Windows
A vehicle that uses tints, or anonymizing shades on his or her windows on the front window ONLY - leading to an individual driving with tinted windows unable to be identified while driving
((driving and claiming you cannot be identified in the vehicle while driving is the OOC justification to this))
-Road Law (11)09 is an infraction of $2000 and a warning on the driver’s license at the officer’s discretion

You try to introduce ultra pro cop laws, euro like laws, to a game, that is literally set into the era of "80's Los Angeles".
Even today tinted windshields in us are allowed if they meet very low requirements. So it doesent matter if its not set in 80 LA but 2012 LA. Windshields are OK in US, you should make US laws, for a US setted game!
Thats a fact yo.

I could list a lot more stupid laws ppl would not even thought about these days.

Like this.Its my edit here..

omg

(9)01. Carrying A Concealed Dirk Or Dagger
A person who possesses any device over two inches in length which is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that might inflict great bodily injury or death
*any wieldable knife via your character is considered long enough to do this.
-Penal Code (9)01 is a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment of no less than 15 minutes and no more than 25 minutes.

While its not illegal most places to carry a knife, your reason for carrying it may make it illegal. You admit you are carrying it for self defense. That would make it a weapon. If you put it in your pocket that is a concealed weapon, and in most places you could be arrested for it.

However if you are carrying a knife because you open boxes with it at work, that would make it a tool, and therefore completely legal to carry.

Why dont you think about what you try to make law?
You really arrest players that roleplay their knifes for work, like mechanics for example bec of your two inch and " *any wieldable knife via your character is considered long enough to do this." ?!

you must be stupid. No law in the US allows tinted windows in the driver's window, preventing the ability to identify drivers or make it easy to see people. There is no law against tinted windows on any other part of your car.

Also there are cities, like new york, where it's illegal to possess a knife in public. And circumstances usually prevent a job trying to arrest you unless you are already connected to an incident or have a connection to the knife's potential illegal use.

Ace Pacino
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Ace Pacino » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Is there an illicit gambling charge?
Vinny Squiliacci

Rees
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Pike_Rees

Post by Rees » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:18 am

Laos_Macen wrote:
you must be stupid. No law in the US allows tinted windows in the driver's window, preventing the ability to identify drivers or make it easy to see people. There is no law against tinted windows on any other part of your car.

Also there are cities, like new york, where it's illegal to possess a knife in public. And circumstances usually prevent a job trying to arrest you unless you are already connected to an incident or have a connection to the knife's potential illegal use.

Actually there are laws preventing certain levels of tint's on windows for the drivers and passenger side windows in the front and for the front and rear windows of the car. The only place allowed in the back passenger windows. This is the law in the United States and you can not have something that hinders your driving, nor be unidentifiable to other drivers.

As for the knifes, even if you carry a knife ((IRL)) just for work, if you carry it concealed or if its over 3" in length it is illegal.

Ace Pacino wrote:Is there an illicit gambling charge?

No, but if someone really wanted to get you for this, they could charge you with Tax Evasion.
Los Santos Police Department
Detective I
Lvl 3 Game Administrator
Head of Mapping
Faction Mapping Request
Head of Events
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Contact Me
About Me (thread)
Private Message
IRC: <Rees>

Anguish
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Anguish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:11 am

So, if I was to go shopping, and buy some kitchen utensils (knives) of various types and sizes, I'm breaking the law because of the potential that I may feel the need to stab someone with them?

I am confused, it should obviously depend on the type of knife and how sharp the blade is rather than size. Some knives such as letter opening knife tools or the knife you would eat food with can't easily penetrate the skin.

Rees
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Pike_Rees

Post by Rees » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:03 am

Anguish wrote:So, if I was to go shopping, and buy some kitchen utensils (knives) of various types and sizes, I'm breaking the law because of the potential that I may feel the need to stab someone with them?

I am confused, it should obviously depend on the type of knife and how sharp the blade is rather than size. Some knives such as letter opening knife tools or the knife you would eat food with can't easily penetrate the skin.

If you have a knife scriptwise, its illegal, since the only way to buy that is via ammunition. If you RP having one from the kitchen store, that you do not have scriptwise, it's not illegal.
Los Santos Police Department
Detective I
Lvl 3 Game Administrator
Head of Mapping
Faction Mapping Request
Head of Events
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Contact Me
About Me (thread)
Private Message
IRC: <Rees>

Xarex
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Carte_Blanche

Post by Xarex » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Excuse me if this is no longer undergoing discussion and/or I missed something. But.

(9)04. Possession Of An Assault Weapon
Any person who, within this state, possesses any assault weapon, any automatic weapon, any semiautomatic rifle, or any other weapon that fires speciality cartridges (such as hollow-point)
-Penal Code (9)04 is a felony punishable by no less than 240 minutes imprisonment (4 hours) and no more than 330 minutes imprisonment (5.5 hours)

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to know the reasoning behind this. Hollow-point (expanding) ammunition is made for personal defense. It maximizes bullet impact where it hits, because it "explodes" the moment it enters the target, becoming an object with a bigger surface, thus transferring more energy, basically. It is defensive, because collateral damage is zero. A hollow point will never leave the object it enters, unlike full metal jacket (FMJ) rounds, which run the danger of damaging bodies behind the target (in other words, they can kill people you did not aim at).

Some facts:

• Since according to this penal code, hollow points are "banned", we must assume everybody uses full metal jackets, because that's the simplest explanation, unless somebody RP's it otherwise (extremely uncommon).
  • The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III prohibits the usage of expanding ammunition (i.e. hollow points) in warfare, that's why the military uses ball (technically FMJ) ammunition.
  • Hollow points are extensively used by law enforcement and CCW holders accross the US. If you want to defend yourself, you use hollow point. It's a fact, with common sense.

Jacketed ammunition (i.e. FMJ) passes through the body most of the time, imparting significantly less energy overall, and it runs the risk of damaging a body behind the target.
In countries with largely outdated/undeveloped/improperly supervised firearm laws (for example Hungary), only jacketed ammunition can be used for self defense and police use. There have been numerous cases when a police officer shot an armed suspect, and the bystander behind the suspect was hit as well due to the nature of the jacketed ammunition. In a severe case or two, that bystander died.
The US is the most "armed" country in the world, with the most sophisticated gun laws, generally speaking (varies between states). It makes absolutely zero sense logic-wise for San Andreas to ban the usage of hollow points for self-defense use, since clearly the "lawmakers" have more experience than those say, in central Europe (see above), where self-defense with a firearm can technically be considered a dream.

Now, does it make a difference RP-wise? A good question. I guarantee you that 99% of people on this server do not roleplay jacketed ammunition passing through bodies and damaging bystanders due to richochet or other means, simply because they could care less, or just don't know about this particular part of physics (also irrelevant gameplay-wise, game engine doesn't have it).

Why am I bringing this up then, you ask? Because it is in the penal code. And everything in the penal code should be roleplayed, because hey, that's why it was made, basically. Hollow point is not a speciality cartridge. It is perfectly legal in sophisticated countries (firearm-law-wise sophisticated), USA included, with the expception of New Jersey, where you cannot carry it. But you can use it for home defense and other means. It is a defensive load, made to offer safety-conscious citizens a tool to defend themselves appropriately, without a danger to others.
Making hollow points "legal" does not change RP, because "banning" them does not change RP either. It simply makes it more logical and realistic, which I think, is the aim of the penal code here. Realism. If hollow points are worth a mention in the penal code, then they are definitely worth to use common sense and logic on. Please consider that.

Kane!
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Post by Kane! » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:04 pm

is it in effect now ir wut?
first post confusing,
unsticky 2011 in law section and sticky this..

holy crapable.
Mask's are OOC
[quote="Damian"]Let's not even touch on the fact you guys are tossing 10s of millions of dollars around to each other as if you're playing hot potato.[/quote]

White Hand
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Christian Santoro

Post by White Hand » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:06 pm

If I have a legal firearm license for a shotgun and a basic firearm (let's say it's a Colt .45) for the purpose of sport, would it be against the law to conceal them inside the trunk of a car for the duration of reaching a firing range, and brandishing them there to practice/sport?

Pie
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Pie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:29 am

White Hand wrote:If I have a legal firearm license for a shotgun and a basic firearm (let's say it's a Colt .45) for the purpose of sport, would it be against the law to conceal them inside the trunk of a car for the duration of reaching a firing range, and brandishing them there to practice/sport?

No, but carrying two firearms at the same time would be agaisnt the law. If you're going hunting, for instance, and you have a PF license, you have to store the firearm in a sealed container until you've reached the destination as far as I'm concerned.

Return to “Laws & Acts of San Andreas Archive”