/mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Junior Developers, Lead Admins, Web Developers

Forum rules
When in the Quick Suggestions thread, only post your own suggestions. Do not react to, discuss, or support other players' suggestions. Breach of this rule will result in a regular forum warning.

If you have a suggestion that requires input from more players and isn't just a quick and simple suggestion that doesn't need any elaborating, make a normal thread.
User avatar
Neaksy
- Gold Member -
- Gold Member -
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:24 am
Ingame name: Nadzkova
Location: The Hexagon
Contact:

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by Neaksy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:14 am

Sensational wrote:I do, "/do What would be obstructing the masked players' faces?"

Both of them say, "/do Nothing".

So I say, "/b Remove your /mask then. I should be able to identify you by your face."

Then kept saying, "/b mask is OOC".
Read the whole thing but I can relate to this so much. Don't worry dude I do the exact same thing to them. Funny thing is by trying to conceal their character's identity they usually reveal it anyway by responding to my /b since their name is then displayed. It just seems pointless to me that those people use OOC masks for no reason other than to prevent MG when metagaming is rare when it comes to name tags. 95% of the server play without being OOC masked and there's hardly ever any MG complaints. It's unfair for everyone else who plays without a mask, which is why I usually "bother" people who mask up for no reason.

jbutton169
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by jbutton169 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:35 am

There was a warrant out on one of my characters before for an unpaid fine. As I was walking down the street an officer pulled up next to me and asked could he see my ID, I let him then next thing I know he's arresting me because there is a warrant out on my name...

It's too easy to MG peoples names as it is.
Frank Ambrosini- Former captain in the Bellomo Crime Network, Dead.
Duncan McGregor - Former Road Slayer's Vice President
Tyrell Tatum - Founder of Willowfield Riding Club and SAMMA

User avatar
Sensational
Civilian
Civilian
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:08 am

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by Sensational » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:02 am

jbutton169 wrote:There was a warrant out on one of my characters before for an unpaid fine. As I was walking down the street an officer pulled up next to me and asked could he see my ID, I let him then next thing I know he's arresting me because there is a warrant out on my name...

It's too easy to MG peoples names as it is.
Maybe you fit the description of someone else they were looking for.

jbutton169
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by jbutton169 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:11 am

Sensational wrote:
jbutton169 wrote:There was a warrant out on one of my characters before for an unpaid fine. As I was walking down the street an officer pulled up next to me and asked could he see my ID, I let him then next thing I know he's arresting me because there is a warrant out on my name...

It's too easy to MG peoples names as it is.
Maybe you fit the description of someone else they were looking for.
Or maybe the cop read my name, recognised it from the warrant list and then ID'd me.
Frank Ambrosini- Former captain in the Bellomo Crime Network, Dead.
Duncan McGregor - Former Road Slayer's Vice President
Tyrell Tatum - Founder of Willowfield Riding Club and SAMMA

Redz
Game Administrator
Posts: 4036
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:46 am
Ingame name: Akio Odonnell
Location: Temple

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by Redz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:19 am

jbutton169 wrote:There was a warrant out on one of my characters before for an unpaid fine. As I was walking down the street an officer pulled up next to me and asked could he see my ID, I let him then next thing I know he's arresting me because there is a warrant out on my name...

It's too easy to MG peoples names as it is.
What you just mentioned still doesn't justify the usage of /mask unless there's an actual facial obstruction.

LSRP Game Administrator
Events Team Moderator
Faction Management



Tester (December 2016-September 2017 )
Forum Moderator (March 2017- May 2017)
Senior Forum Moderator (May 2017 - September 2017 )
Level 1 Game Admin (September 2017-)

ON FULL ABSENCE

jbutton169
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by jbutton169 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:28 am

Redz wrote:
jbutton169 wrote:There was a warrant out on one of my characters before for an unpaid fine. As I was walking down the street an officer pulled up next to me and asked could he see my ID, I let him then next thing I know he's arresting me because there is a warrant out on my name...

It's too easy to MG peoples names as it is.
What you just mentioned still doesn't justify the usage of /mask unless there's an actual facial obstruction.
I disagree. If I had been wearing a mask I would not have been arrested. Also leads to the /me describes being abused too because people do /me describes even if they only saw the back of their head. The mask and name is an OOC feature that prevents meta-gaming, i've had people recognise me because they "remembered" my voice.
Frank Ambrosini- Former captain in the Bellomo Crime Network, Dead.
Duncan McGregor - Former Road Slayer's Vice President
Tyrell Tatum - Founder of Willowfield Riding Club and SAMMA

User avatar
Sensational
Civilian
Civilian
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:08 am

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by Sensational » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:28 am

jbutton169 wrote:
Redz wrote:
jbutton169 wrote:There was a warrant out on one of my characters before for an unpaid fine. As I was walking down the street an officer pulled up next to me and asked could he see my ID, I let him then next thing I know he's arresting me because there is a warrant out on my name...

It's too easy to MG peoples names as it is.
What you just mentioned still doesn't justify the usage of /mask unless there's an actual facial obstruction.
I disagree. If I had been wearing a mask I would not have been arrested. Also, leads to the /me describes being abused too because people do /me describes even if they only saw the back of their head. The mask and name is an OOC feature that prevents meta-gaming, i've had people recognise me because they "remembered" my voice.
So your character would've been walking down the street with a mask on ICly? Odd, IMO.

/me describes doesn't have to be about your face. It can be about the back of your head or your /describe, or your skin, walk style, fight style, talk style, accent prefix.

Did you ask the cop in /b how he identified you?

jbutton169
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by jbutton169 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:42 am

No I don't mean actually wearing one. I mean OOCly being /masked hiding my name.

Ideally thats how you should describe people but they don't.

I did ask in /b but was told to Stay IC and then informed that it was just random chance.
Frank Ambrosini- Former captain in the Bellomo Crime Network, Dead.
Duncan McGregor - Former Road Slayer's Vice President
Tyrell Tatum - Founder of Willowfield Riding Club and SAMMA

User avatar
Neaksy
- Gold Member -
- Gold Member -
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:24 am
Ingame name: Nadzkova
Location: The Hexagon
Contact:

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by Neaksy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:19 am

jbutton169 wrote:I disagree. If I had been wearing a mask I would not have been arrested. Also leads to the /me describes being abused too because people do /me describes even if they only saw the back of their head. The mask and name is an OOC feature that prevents meta-gaming, i've had people recognise me because they "remembered" my voice.
Yes, /me describes X_X should be avoided as it can lead to SOME metagaming at times. It should ideally be more detailed, to roleplay describing specific things, like voice, face, clothes, etc. However it can be OK to /me describes X if you've already seen that person up close, close enough to keep a memory of their full attire and appearance, enough to be able to thoroughly describe their look. My point still stands, however; /masks should only be used for specific situations, not at all times.

User avatar
Tsarina
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:13 pm
Ingame name: GOVERNMENT HOOKER
Location: RASPUTINA

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by Tsarina » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:32 pm

/Mask CAN be and IS abused throughout the server. I personally think that there should be some regulations on when you can and when you can't mask. In LSFD, we're not allowed to mask on duty, only off duty. Regarding legal factions, I only ever see detectives and DSS masked, for obvious reasons (however this can also be abused sometimes, but /re is always available for those few and AFAIK PD have no regulations on using /MASK - correct me if I'm wrong). I've always thought it was dumb to /mask when there's nothing RPly obstructing your face as it's just an easy option of avoiding people saying ''/me describes firstname_lastname'' hence why most robberies/crimes are committed by somebody MASKed. Saying this, I also agree with Neaksy's point that blatantly just saying ''/me describes firstname_lastname'' is too much of an easy option for the other party who want to prosecute the said MASKer. If somebody MASKed has clearly breached a game rule, you can always /b to ask for their ID or report their ID via /re. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the whole pointless ''MASK-when-it's-not-needed'' and would be happy to see some tighter regulations regarding MASK put in place.

User avatar
Imperium
- Silver Member -
- Silver Member -
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:41 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by Imperium » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:31 pm

GhostOfProtocol wrote:How does this effect PD and SD Traffic or whatever SD call their Traffic. Unmarked patrols mean that PD (probably SD as well) mask so that people can't MG the blue names. Would that still be allowed or?
I think you should be allowed to mask in a vehicle with the windows up.

But on the point of PD Traffic, you're in a police car (or a Premier/Sultan with 'POLICE' as your plate) with cop skins. I very much doubt blue names will be the thing that gives you away.

User avatar
Blame
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:15 am
Ingame name: Klay Thompson

Re: /mask'ing when RP doesn't call for it

Post by Blame » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:11 pm

I've got mixed views on this. I know it gets annoying when people use /mask to hide their identity. It should be somewhat mandatory for people to have a /attributes describing their character in this case. I also know that people that usually DO have an /attributes for their character aren't exactly accurate describing them or have ones from past characters.

Locked

Return to “General Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest