Easier phone commands

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Junior Developers, Lead Admins, Web Developers

Forum rules
When in the Quick Suggestions thread, only post your own suggestions. Do not react to, discuss, or support other players' suggestions. Breach of this rule will result in a regular forum warning.

If you have a suggestion that requires input from more players and isn't just a quick and simple suggestion that doesn't need any elaborating, make a normal thread.

Do you support this suggestion?

Poll runs till Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:02 am

1) Yes.
25%
1) Yes.
25%
2) No.
25%
2) No.
25%

Total votes: 36

Neaksy
- Gold Member -
- Gold Member -
Ingame name: Nadzkova

Re: Easier phone commands

Post by Neaksy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:42 pm

All I read here from people against this suggestion is "muh it can be abused," come on people you can do better than this. IRL you can use your phone while driving. You don't spend seconds to pull out your phone and check your texts. You would spend as long to do /ph and click on the messages circle than you would by typing /viewmessages honestly so the amount of abuse is meaningless. You can already do /sms and I don't see it being abused a lot either. This is a videogame and not real-life, it shouldn't have to be a pain in the ass to send a simple text. In-game you can't pause and resume typing later on when pressing escape, and such. I personally wouldn't mind this suggestion because the current phone system can also be laggy for people with weak Internet speeds.

GhostofShadows
Holder of Ws
Holder of Ws
Ingame name: Cholo_Ese

Post by GhostofShadows » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:02 am

Neaksy wrote:All I read here from people against this suggestion is "muh it can be abused," come on people you can do better than this. IRL you can use your phone while driving. You don't spend seconds to pull out your phone and check your texts. You would spend as long to do /ph and click on the messages circle than you would by typing /viewmessages honestly so the amount of abuse is meaningless. You can already do /sms and I don't see it being abused a lot either. This is a videogame and not real-life, it shouldn't have to be a pain in the ass to send a simple text. In-game you can't pause and resume typing later on when pressing escape, and such. I personally wouldn't mind this suggestion because the current phone system can also be laggy for people with weak Internet speeds.
People can't abuse /sms because if they did, they would be stuck for a second or two, which allows people to beat the shit out of them easier in brawls. /r however can be abused because you do not get stuck. And yes, it is a video game, but didn't you also make a thread about LS not being an island or whatever when it shouldn't be an issue in the first place? You did it for "realism" or whatever, right? Then why do you support this idea that will take away the realism?
[16:35:50] (( PM from Jared_Landry (ID: 180): You aren't welcomed to roleplay anywhere near here. ))

[16:36:01] This user is blocking private messages from you.

6:50 PM - ★★ѕωιfтѕнιfту★★: OHHHHHH MAH DAWWWG
6:51 PM - Anthomyst: ugh
6:51 PM - Anthomyst: what the fuck do you want bitch?
6:50 PM - ★★ѕωιfтѕнιfту★★: whats good, CJ?
6:51 PM - Anthomyst: cj?! the fuck?
6:51 PM - Anthomyst: kill your fucking self bitch

Neaksy
- Gold Member -
- Gold Member -
Ingame name: Nadzkova

Post by Neaksy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:38 am

GhostofShadows wrote:People can't abuse /sms because if they did, they would be stuck for a second or two, which allows people to beat the shit out of them easier in brawls. /r however can be abused because you do not get stuck. And yes, it is a video game, but didn't you also make a thread about LS not being an island or whatever when it shouldn't be an issue in the first place? You did it for "realism" or whatever, right? Then why do you support this idea that will take away the realism?
You can press ESC after sending an SMS to get unstuck, if I remember correctly. And this is precisely because it is a videogame that I made a thread about LS-RP following a fictional canon rather than a real-life one — because GTA SA is a game based on fiction, not IRL. Ultimately I do make the point that RPing SA as a mainland state is more realistic, but because of actual reasons, including making more sense. There's a difference between that and a script which does not determine realism, but makes it easier for the player overall because here's the thing: in real-life you can actually view your messages as fast as if you would type /viewmessages in-game. For instance on most phones, you get a notification on your lockscreen and you can easily tap it to access said text. You could have also left your phone in the messaging app, and when waking the screen up it would have gone back to it. But what the current system forces to do is to do /ph again and manually go to the messages — which by the way are listed with the phone number, there's no preview unlike real-life phones. Ultimately I don't care whether or not this suggestion is implemented because in my opinion the phone system itself should be revamped (send texts to offline people, blabla). But that there can be "abuse" is not an argument.

Skeewy
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: The Bear

Post by Skeewy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Well, this is quite RPG'ish.. Its more realistic to check your phone and by the way IRL you're not allowed to use your phone while driving, like he said, the system was made to force people to pull over if they need to talk or to text on phone. Its good how is it now.
" I respect y'all i think i deserve some respect back right. "
Past Characters: show
Jdey Dudley - The Road Slayers MC
Bjorn Yevseyev - Tsaryovskaya OPG

Guxxi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Guxxi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:20 pm

GhostofShadows wrote:
FlowN wrote:I see the current system as being more realistic. IRL you would need to actually browse your phone in order to get and see the messages. A simple command would just make it too simple. There already is a shortcut to the new messages (red text in the upper right side), this would be too easy IMO.
^ This. I love the realism in this game, and the phone system adds on to that. While a simpler command system would be easier for many other players, it'll just feel like it's just another old and cheap light roleplay server. It's just the little things that makes the biggest differences in the server, and the current one is one of those. Dunno, just me.
Completely agreeing with this, there is no need in a change for this system. Enjoying it the way it is now.

TamTam
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Yegor_Babkin

Post by TamTam » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:51 am

Guxxi wrote:
GhostofShadows wrote:
FlowN wrote:I see the current system as being more realistic. IRL you would need to actually browse your phone in order to get and see the messages. A simple command would just make it too simple. There already is a shortcut to the new messages (red text in the upper right side), this would be too easy IMO.
^ This. I love the realism in this game, and the phone system adds on to that. While a simpler command system would be easier for many other players, it'll just feel like it's just another old and cheap light roleplay server. It's just the little things that makes the biggest differences in the server, and the current one is one of those. Dunno, just me.
Completely agreeing with this, there is no need in a change for this system. Enjoying it the way it is now.
This is very sweet that you enjoy the current system. But most of the people who didn't even see this suggestion not and (I'm one of them) we have to consider them.
Viewing messages with a command it's realism more than the current system because you still have to type, and look at the chat which withdraws your attention alittle bit more. Don't forget that this is a game and not real life, and staying with the current system won't add more realism because we already skip most of the car accidents so what is the point here?

keinanW
deadmau5 wannabe
deadmau5 wannabe
Ingame name: Keinan_Walker

Post by keinanW » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:17 pm

Supporting this. It becomes a real head ache when 3-4 people start texting you simultaneously. It gets so annoying that sometimes I'm just forced to ignore them because I get tired of clicking 10 times just to read one message while 2 others hit my inbox again. The suggested method could make things much easier for someone who uses the phone for texting a lot ICly. Could have a short cmd like /vm or /viewmsg

Realism is good and everything but not when it reaches a point where it gets annoying. Imagine LSRP restricting you from running to reach places on foot. That'd be realistic, but annoying.

Return to “General Suggestions”