Reinventing /prison

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Junior Developers, Lead Admins, Web Developers

Forum rules
When in the Quick Suggestions thread, only post your own suggestions. Do not react to, discuss, or support other players' suggestions. Breach of this rule will result in a regular forum warning.

If you have a suggestion that requires input from more players and isn't just a quick and simple suggestion that doesn't need any elaborating, make a normal thread.
Imperium
- Silver Member -
- Silver Member -

Re: Reinventing /prison

Post by Imperium » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:08 am

I am 100% behind this suggestion. Make prison sentences days instead of hours. Perhaps people will think twice about committing a crime if murder lands you in prison for 4 days, and people will be less inclined to bait cops into pursuits knowing that they won't be out in 60 minutes to repeat. On the other side of the spectrum, I think it'd make cops less inclined to stack random bullshit charges on people given the fact that adding another charge may well put their prison sentence up from 3 days to 5 days. And it'll keep criminals off the street, which is ultimately what prison is supposed to be doing. It'll help people actually roleplay sentences, too. Some people roleplay 10 minutes in jail as 2 days or so, which is nonsensical because after 10 minutes, the same pursuit you were jailed for could still be ongoing, which doesn't work if you roleplay being in for 2 days. If you're actually jailed for 2 days, then it'll give your character, and everyone related to your character, time to roleplay your absence correctly. It might also stimulate the server's donation intake, too, with people namechanging to skip waiting out their 2 day sentence.

And to whomever argues that waiting 3 days is too long, I say don't murder someone in the first place. You made the choice to take another character's life. You can't expect all repercussions to be gone on the same day so you can walk around and brag like nothing ever happened. Your character would realistically be off the streets for years for a murder, so having the character locked away for a few days is nothing, especially considering you have another entire world of roleplay inside prison which will be populated by other people looking for prison roleplay (those that don't want it will just go offline and serve their sentence).

Marauder
Game Administrator

Post by Marauder » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Neaksy wrote:
Doug Heffernan wrote:That's enough to give you guys roleplay, like opening a facility or something. What's the problem with only having 3 COs on duty?
From around 4am up to 10-11am, whenever I do /onduty I don't see any COs on duty. Some people with crazy time zones just can't find sufficient roleplay at SACF during those times (I am one of them, when I usually play early in the morning). Back in June up to September when I RPd in SACF there were hardly anyone to RP with at that time; the one or two there were constantly AFKing, so basically no source of roleplay. See the problem now?
DOC has less than 30 members.
Marauder Head of Events
Head of Media/News Team Level 3 Admin
Faction ManagementGovernment Management
Joslyn Dalton - SASD
Also Judge Delores Coleman #SometimesI'mAlsoALawyer

Neaksy
- Gold Member -
- Gold Member -
Ingame name: Nadzkova

Post by Neaksy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Sarcasmohjoy wrote:DOC has less than 30 members.
That's exactly my point. The amount of roleplay is limited and we can't depend on SADOC to give people roleplay when they're not there 24/7. It's not humanly possible anyway, sure, FD has 100 members and we still have dead zones; that's the whole point. There's hardly any RP available at SACF when there's no CO, and when there's hardly any inmate well there's nothing at all to do. It's unfair for people with crazy timezones, that's one of the reasons why the current system is not fair and balanced and needs a revamp. There should be an alternative for those people.

colorlessrainbow
Forum Moderator
Ingame name: Jonathan Byrd

Post by colorlessrainbow » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:49 am

Your roleplay opportunities shouldn't depend on the online DOC members. It's a roleplay server. You ended up being incarcerated, so deal with it. Nobody asked you to commit a crime / roleplay as a criminal.

Neaksy
- Gold Member -
- Gold Member -

Post by Neaksy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:08 am

colorlessrainbow wrote:Your roleplay opportunities shouldn't depend on the online DOC members. It's a roleplay server. You ended up being incarcerated, so deal with it. Nobody asked you to commit a crime / roleplay as a criminal.
Read the previous pages before saying something that's already been dealt with. We're forced to roleplay in SACF, no matter the timezone and the amount of active players, so I think it's fair roleplay should be handed to us. Being forced to stay active so the sentence goes down is the same as an admin-jail especially when there's hardly no one there. Roleplay opportunities do depend on the amount of online DOC members because that's just how it works. If there's no CO on the amount of roleplay is limited. When there's no CO and inmates on, there's no roleplay to do at all. It's especially because it's a roleplay server that there's a problem; sometimes there's no one to roleplay with, that's the truth.

"You ended up being incarcerated:" no, my character did. I shouldn't have to be online so the sentence of my character goes down. A minute system is dumb and hypocritical, it doesn't take into account the fact that people have different life styles and don't always play LS-RP actively, some can go out within hours while others can only play once a week and it would take days or weeks for some. Our characters should spend the time there, not us as players.

Are you forced to roleplay in recovery after a surgery? No, you can skip and fast-forward, alternatively you can go offline and pretend your character still is in recovery. That's up to players. I see it as the same thing, only instead have the sentence go down when offline, have it a day based system so they can do something else without having to be there and show up for their sentence to go down.

AnselmiX3
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Terence Fowler

Post by AnselmiX3 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:15 am

colorlessrainbow wrote:Your roleplay opportunities shouldn't depend on the online DOC members. It's a roleplay server. You ended up being incarcerated, so deal with it. Nobody asked you to commit a crime / roleplay as a criminal.
No, you're right. Our role play opportunities shouldn't depend on the online DOC members - but they fucking do. There's a whole list of things we can't do without a minimum amount of DOC members. The prison is effectively an empty interior with fuck all to do in it when there's nobody online to role play with - YET we are forced to be there for up to 15 hours max; and for what? role playing my character?
Nobody asked you to commit a crime / roleplay as a criminal
This is the most washed up piece of shit argument I've seen in this thread, posted over and over again. Who are you to dictate how I role play my character? Have you even ever role played a criminal before? Do you realise that people come on here to role play things that they can't do in real life?

While people like you might enjoy spending 90 percent of their time e-sexing or chilling at the mall, and the other 10 percent standing in the /crossarm animation in prison (or driving around the perimeter) - other people enjoy role playing and developing a character into a criminal. Why should they be punished by an unfair and, quite frankly, one sided prison system? It's not an IC punishment to force someone to be in game for 15 hours of their playing time, when 90 percent of the time there's fuck all going on in the prison.
You ended up being incarcerated, so deal with it.
Since you're so pro-realism, why not make it so when you die, you die? I mean, they've gotta be punished for dying right? Fuck it, let's have everyone who gets killed be CKed automatically - because that's realistic and they have to be punished.
It's a roleplay server
Ding ding ding, well fucking done. It's a role play game. We log in to role play. Not spend 15 hours of our playing time staring at our screens for the crimes our character committed. That's excessive for a game. And I'm going to assume you haven't read the rest of the thread, given your dull, over used and ignorant argument;

- Some people can't play in peak time; they're forced to play when there's 100 people on the server tops, and about 5 people in SACF; tabbed out. That's fair, right?

- There's 30 members in DOC to accommodate the 1000 or so player base. People in this thread have stated that they rarely see a decent activity in the prison. That limits role play opportunities for those in there.

- 15 hours is a long time for someone who can only play an hour a day tops. Where as another player could tank out that sentence in a day. Is that fair to have one player spend 15 days in prison as opposed to his counterpart who can spend 1-2 days tops in prison and then go on about their day? No, it's not fair - and it doesn't promote 'realism', or provide role play opportunities.

Pull your head out of the hole it's buried in.

Neaksy
- Gold Member -
- Gold Member -

Post by Neaksy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:28 am

^AnselmiX3 couldn't be more right, totally agreed with everything said. Forcing players to play defies the whole point of playing games for: having fun. There's no amusement to be stuck in SACF. There's a difference between a character deserving punishment and a player deserving punishment, so saying "you roleplayed criminal, deal with it" is such a repellent argument. :roll:

You're not forced to CK when dying, you're not forced to roleplay post-surgery injuries after you're shot, yet you're forced to RP in SACF because god knows why. It's up to people to develop their character or not, no one should force someone else to roleplay or do character development because it's not to other people to judge. It should be up to the player.

At this point how does a minute system even make sense for a prison script? How is it realistic that a penal code says "240 minutes" for a certain crime? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it days, weeks, if not months for the most outrageous crimes? But no apparently the best solution is jailing someone for 240 minutes and have them back in LS a few hours later, while other decent roleplayers who can't play as much would have to spend days or weeks to get out of prison, which is unfair for the player - for the same sentence.

colorlessrainbow
Forum Moderator
Ingame name: Jonathan Byrd

Post by colorlessrainbow » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:00 pm

No need to kill me for sharing my opinion. I don't agree with you and still think that the prison-system is working well, despite the utter morons we(DOC members) are forced to roleplay with on a daily basis.
I shouldn't have to be online so the sentence of my character goes down.
Why do we have a prison then? Why do we have a Corrections faction? Why do we have prison gangs? (PENI, BGF, etc)
Believe me, apart from them, everyone else would just /q right after the /prison command and come back when their time is up. Try how wonderfully good your day would be as CO now, and try how good would it be without inmates.

AnselmiX3
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by AnselmiX3 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:41 pm

colorlessrainbow wrote:No need to kill me for sharing my opinion. I don't agree with you and still think that the prison-system is working well, despite the utter morons we(DOC members) are forced to roleplay with on a daily basis.
I shouldn't have to be online so the sentence of my character goes down.
Why do we have a prison then? Why do we have a Corrections faction? Why do we have prison gangs? (PENI, BGF, etc)
Believe me, apart from them, everyone else would just /q right after the /prison command and come back when their time is up. Try how wonderfully good your day would be as CO now, and try how good would it be without inmates.
I was a Corporal in DOC. It was dreadfully boring even with a moderate amount of inmates, because half of them were only there because they were forced to be there - and the rest genuinely wanted to role play.

You don't see the bigger picture besides the obvious benefits; e.g. making it a fair playing ground for ALL players. I'll repeat myself again and break it down for you;

Having a prison system where by the player who has committed a crime and been caught gets sentenced. They are put in prison for 'days' as opposed to minutes, at which point they are free to log off or role play in prison. They will only be released when their time comes - and I propose making it manual. So while the player is free to log off for a few days, they will still have to role play in prison to some degree for their release; a member of DOC would have to transport them to the gate and release them from custody.

How is this beneficial? Well, for one, all the morons that you described would be drastically reduced. The only reason they are there causing trouble is because they have to be for their prison time to go down. With the proposed system, they could log off and not be a bother to anyone - and when they do log in, they'll most likely be willing to role play because it'll be to get released. This leaves a prison populated with people who want to role play.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be with 10 competent role players over 30 incompetent ones.

Neaksy
- Gold Member -
- Gold Member -

Post by Neaksy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:41 pm

colorlessrainbow wrote:Why do we have a prison then? Why do we have a Corrections faction? Why do we have prison gangs? (PENI, BGF, etc)
Prison is an essential part of criminal roleplay, however, while it should be encouraged to be used as a platform for character development, SACF RP shouldn't in anyway be forced upon the player in the sense that they must be online so their character's sentence goes down and they can be released. SACF RP should be encouraged, but not fed to players who don't want it or can't due to time zone and lifestyle differences.

hoodgonnaloveit
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: Julio Lavessi

Post by hoodgonnaloveit » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:42 pm

The problem is you guys take prison as a ooc punishment your like fuck im away from my faction fml. Maybe if you thought of it as more of a roleplay senario then a ooc punishment you'd have more fun.

But I feel like DOC could be changed up so more people join. TBH I'd join DOC but I only can get on a hour or so everyday so I can't be bothered to go through the training.

AnselmiX3
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by AnselmiX3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:06 pm

--
Last edited by ChrisRawr on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Backseat Moderating

uglypumpkin
Gangster
Gangster

Post by uglypumpkin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:18 pm

TBH Legendary suggestion only problem is we won't see it for awhile. Only problem is it would cause prison gangs to have less roleplay around them due to people of their race rather leave LSRP for 4 days because it's so hard to roleplay without my M4 and Ak47 for a few hours
United Black Nation December 2015 - Febuary 2016

uglypumpkin
Gangster
Gangster

Post by uglypumpkin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:22 pm

If you want to see roleplay in SACF be the change you want to see stop bashing that nobody roleplays and start roleplaying for yourself.
United Black Nation December 2015 - Febuary 2016

AnselmiX3
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by AnselmiX3 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:25 pm

uglypumpkin wrote:If you want to see roleplay in SACF be the change you want to see stop bashing that nobody roleplays and start roleplaying for yourself.
ok genius, what about legitimate issues that people face with this system????
ex.
When there's no CO and inmates on, there's no roleplay to do at all. It's especially because it's a roleplay server that there's a problem; sometimes there's no one to roleplay with, that's the truth.

"You ended up being incarcerated:" no, my character did. I shouldn't have to be online so the sentence of my character goes down. A minute system is dumb and hypocritical, it doesn't take into account the fact that people have different life styles and don't always play LS-RP actively, some can go out within hours while others can only play once a week and it would take days or weeks for some. Our characters should spend the time there, not us as players.

Are you forced to roleplay in recovery after a surgery? No, you can skip and fast-forward, alternatively you can go offline and pretend your character still is in recovery. That's up to players. I see it as the same thing, only instead have the sentence go down when offline, have it a day based system so they can do something else without having to be there and show up for their sentence to go down.

Return to “General Suggestions”