Revamp of the Vehicle Alarm System

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Junior Developers, Lead Admins, Web Developers

Locked
User avatar
Paddy
Game Administrator
Posts: 2226
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:12 pm
Ingame name: Marcel_Patrick
Location: Scotland

Revamp of the Vehicle Alarm System

Post by Paddy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:44 pm

I got stuck into a conversation here and quite by accident came up with some changes that I feel would be of benefit to the system.

My post if directly below.

Thoughts?
Paddy wrote:There is of course a split in opinion, as there always will be in a matter of this nature. The key questions that come up are:
  • Are we being limited by the hard-coded mechanics of the game? (horn volume etc)
  • Is use of other game mechanics (radar & blip) feasible and realistic workarounds?
  • Does it take away from the roleplay of those involved? (Car thiefs, witnesses, law enforcement)
In the system being employed by the current alarm system, I think there are major flaws in how it is approached. Not because of failings of the staff, but simply because I believe there are alternatives which tip the scale into balance.

If we rewind a little to the days prior to the Phone System, which was released 29/JUN/2014, the previous tracing system for law enforcement would simply immediately give you a location. I believe the message looked something like:
  • Ph: 1234567, Idlewood
When you were within radar distance of that person, you could do the /trace command again and an exact blip came over that person. My God what a tragic system that used to be.

Now the tracing is so much better:


I think that there are a number of features from the new tracing system that would benefit the vehicle alarm system, along with a few tweaks. Heres my idea:
  • Removal of the blip.
    • It's not a decent workaround to the lack of volume & echo produced from the GTA SA horns. In real life, yes, you can eventually find where a sound source is being produced, but you can't immediately pin-point it. To that end, the blip does in fact incite metagaming.
  • Introduction of the gang-zone coverage.
    • Like the phone system, we should employ use of the gang area coverage to show that, yes, there is an alarm going off within a particular radius. The appearance of the zone would require you to be:
      • In the zone.
      • Have your windows down in your vehicle/be on foot.
      I take into consideration the fact that if a car is moving then a persistently updating gang-zone would look rather silly, but at the point that a car engine is engaged by way of hotwiring, the car alarm should deactivate anyway, because at that stage the car believes that it has been legitimately started, right? To that end, persistently updating gang-zones still wouldn't exist, because no car in motion would be emitting an alarm.
  • Removal of the immediate message notifying owners of vehicle tampering.
    • As PrettyKasztan said,
      PrettyKasztan wrote:I'd rather have a SMS sound without any message as a sign that my car locks are being touched
      The immediate message without any justification or explanation as to how you became aware of your car being tampered with is outdated and needs changed.
So in short: Yes I do believe it incites metegaming, but I understand why the mechanic was introduced. I do however believe that in time this can be revisited and improved.
PADDY
GAME ADMIN
NIVEL UNO
DARRAGH AIDAN MCLENAGHAN
ASSISTANT SHERIFF
LS COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT
GOVERNMENT MANAGEMENT
RESIDENT
ARGUMENT HAVER
YOUTUBE
SHIT
VIDEO MAKER

User avatar
Bugged
Law Enforcement
Law Enforcement
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:55 am
Location: Nepal
Contact:

Re: Revamp of the Vehicle Alarm System

Post by Bugged » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:11 am

Paddy wrote:
  • Removal of the blip.
Yes, no one would realistically be able to pin-point to location of any alarm. They might be able to have an idea of what direction it is coming from, but blips can simply be used to meta-game. In favor of this. But we need a system to come up with to replace this. That is where your lovely next idea comes forward.
Paddy wrote:
  • Introduction of the gang-zone coverage.
Fantastic idea. Like in the single-player, if this can be induced into our server, it would be great. I also remember dark and light zones. For example, light green and dark green. From far off, the color of the area can be light green, and as you go near, for example, around a mile of the radius, it could be dark, notifying you that you are indeed, closer. However, this shouldn't be the case with Law Enforcement, since the exact (or almost exact) location is sent from the car to the alarm company and from there to Law Enforcement. Of course, this can act like the trace system for phones, only for cars.
Paddy wrote:
  • Removal of the immediate message notifying owners of vehicle tampering.
I have indeed, seen people in the middle of roleplay just running out of the place, with no message or RP, or if pushed, just "/t CAR ALARM!" This needs to be implemented, very badly. It pulls forward roleplay and reduces random MG.


To make it short, yes, I am in favor. This is an excellent suggestion.
    X
    [url=samp://server.ls-rp.com]
    Los Santos Role Play
    [/url]
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
    Characters:

    Antonio Marcello
    Terrance Summers

    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

    User avatar
    Marauder
    Game Administrator
    Posts: 8406
    Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:29 am

    Re: Revamp of the Vehicle Alarm System

    Post by Marauder » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:20 am

    I agree and also think that the vehicle name itself should be removed as far as Law Enforcement, as they show up to an area and "OH IT SAID AN ELEGY ALARM THERE'S AN ELEGY FELONY STOP TIME".
    Marauder Head of Events
    Head of Media/News Team Level 3 Admin
    Faction ManagementGovernment Management
    Joslyn Dalton - SASD
    Also Judge Delores Coleman #SometimesI'mAlsoALawyer

    No IG access and inconsistent forum activity until early Monday morning.

    User avatar
    Bugged
    Law Enforcement
    Law Enforcement
    Posts: 450
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:55 am
    Location: Nepal
    Contact:

    Re: Revamp of the Vehicle Alarm System

    Post by Bugged » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:28 am

    Sarcasmohjoy wrote:I agree and also think that the vehicle name itself should be removed as far as Law Enforcement, as they show up to an area and "OH IT SAID AN ELEGY ALARM THERE'S AN ELEGY FELONY STOP TIME".

    I actually lol'ed to that. But to your argument, I don't think the vehicle name should be removed from Law Enforcement's message. Since it is the alarm company that would realistically inform the Law Enforcement, I don't see why not they would try harder and harder to help them (Law Enforcement) track down the vehicle, and to do so, of course, they would describe the vehicle to them. In this case, Elegy.
      X
      [url=samp://server.ls-rp.com]
      Los Santos Role Play
      [/url]
      | | | | | |
      | | | | | |
      | | | | | |
      | | | | | |
      Characters:

      Antonio Marcello
      Terrance Summers

      "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

      User avatar
      Marauder
      Game Administrator
      Posts: 8406
      Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:29 am

      Re: Revamp of the Vehicle Alarm System

      Post by Marauder » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:38 am

      Bugged wrote:
      Sarcasmohjoy wrote:I agree and also think that the vehicle name itself should be removed as far as Law Enforcement, as they show up to an area and "OH IT SAID AN ELEGY ALARM THERE'S AN ELEGY FELONY STOP TIME".

      I actually lol'ed to that. But to your argument, I don't think the vehicle name should be removed from Law Enforcement's message. Since it is the alarm company that would realistically inform the Law Enforcement, I don't see why not they would try harder and harder to help them (Law Enforcement) track down the vehicle, and to do so, of course, they would describe the vehicle to them. In this case, Elegy.
      We don't have alarm companies, though. If someone wants to RP them getting alerted and THEM calling Law Enforcement, then I'd be okay with that, but not an OP automatic system. That doesn't happen IRL unless you have like OnStar.
      Marauder Head of Events
      Head of Media/News Team Level 3 Admin
      Faction ManagementGovernment Management
      Joslyn Dalton - SASD
      Also Judge Delores Coleman #SometimesI'mAlsoALawyer

      No IG access and inconsistent forum activity until early Monday morning.

      User avatar
      Bugged
      Law Enforcement
      Law Enforcement
      Posts: 450
      Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:55 am
      Location: Nepal
      Contact:

      Re: Revamp of the Vehicle Alarm System

      Post by Bugged » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:33 am

      Sarcasmohjoy wrote:
      Bugged wrote:
      Sarcasmohjoy wrote:I agree and also think that the vehicle name itself should be removed as far as Law Enforcement, as they show up to an area and "OH IT SAID AN ELEGY ALARM THERE'S AN ELEGY FELONY STOP TIME".

      I actually lol'ed to that. But to your argument, I don't think the vehicle name should be removed from Law Enforcement's message. Since it is the alarm company that would realistically inform the Law Enforcement, I don't see why not they would try harder and harder to help them (Law Enforcement) track down the vehicle, and to do so, of course, they would describe the vehicle to them. In this case, Elegy.
      We don't have alarm companies, though. If someone wants to RP them getting alerted and THEM calling Law Enforcement, then I'd be okay with that, but not an OP automatic system. That doesn't happen IRL unless you have like OnStar.
      We also don't have cars being stolen every two minutes.
        X
        [url=samp://server.ls-rp.com]
        Los Santos Role Play
        [/url]
        | | | | | |
        | | | | | |
        | | | | | |
        | | | | | |
        Characters:

        Antonio Marcello
        Terrance Summers

        "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

        User avatar
        Heroes
        Civilian
        Civilian
        Posts: 26
        Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:28 pm

        Re: Revamp of the Vehicle Alarm System

        Post by Heroes » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:42 am

        I absolutely agree with all three points. If not a gang zone on the map, what about a text indication somewhere on the screen like in the corner saying a car alarm is ongoing?

        User avatar
        .Andy
        Wannabe Don
        Wannabe Don
        Posts: 905
        Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:46 am
        Ingame name: M.Foster
        Location: United States

        Re: Revamp of the Vehicle Alarm System

        Post by .Andy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:23 pm

        I personally feel a system with the gang zone would fit our needs. I also feel like another alarm tier should be introduced that only then sends out a VA (Vehicle Alarm) to Law Enforcement. Make this tier upgrade insanely expensive so people would be less insentivized to buy one.

        thekillergreece
        - Gold Member -
        - Gold Member -
        Posts: 839
        Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:49 am
        Ingame name: Jessica Eponimos

        Re: Revamp of the Vehicle Alarm System

        Post by thekillergreece » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:03 am

        Gang zone in the area where the alarm happened, yes, removal of the name from law enforcement, nope. Owners should receive text messages through their phone (If its turned on) that a car alarm is triggered in my opinion, they shouldnt just receive it on the screen chat.
        Corporal Jessica Eponimos

        Image

        Serving the San Andreas Sheriff Department since 7th June 2015.

        ImageImage

        Locked

        Return to “Vehicle Suggestions”

        Who is online

        Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest