Keeping your computer clean from viruses.

All old Questions / Technical Support topics are moved here. You can search this section for an answer to a question also, if you wish.

Moderators: Junior Admins, Junior Developers, Senior Lead Admins

Adam
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Keeping your computer clean from viruses.

Post by Adam » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:53 am

Hey. Due to the recent spreadings of the new MSN worm, I felt this was needed. This post can be summed up quite quickly, though I will try to elaborate myself as much as possible. I will, however, generalize a lot and will refer all programs with malicious intent as 'viruses'.

The purpose of viruses and the 'free stuff'-case.
Basically, the purpose of most viruses are commercial - This is the main reason you're at risk. Few people will risk high punishment without any actual reward of it, at least that's what my common sense is telling me. Common sense is a necessity when working with computers in general, and this is the case with computer security, too. One of the key things to remember while surfing the internet is that no one is trying to give you a free lunch. Even though you may encounter a lot of websites claiming they'll give you a "free" iPhone, you won't actually get one unless you complete a load of surveys that they're getting paid for in the end. Period. Those surveys generally require you to complete several purchases, too - Hence, there's no need to click on a link someone sent you on MSN.

Viruses - What are the risks?
The risks of being infected with a computer virus vary a lot. While some viruses only send someone PPV traffic ("Adware"), others steal your credit card numbers, or include your computer in a 'botnet'. From my understanding, some botnets collect credit card information too, though I'm talking from rumours here, since I'm not experienced in the area. You are ignorant if you claim that viruses aren't at all risky.

Being prepared - Using an antivirus program.
It is indeed very hard to keep yourself away from viruses, especially if you warez (which you honestly shouldn't!). Thus, it's a good idea to use an updated antivirus tool. I'm asking you to pay for those instead of illegally downloading them, as most of them provide you with great support. It's not nice to have your product stolen either way. If you're young like me, you might want to ask your parents if they can help you buy one. Offer them the money in-real-life, though. No one likes leechers. From my personal experience, a program called 'Kaspersky' has worked the best. It's developed by Kaspersky Labs, and I honestly prefer their 2008 version! You can buy it here. A lot of people, at least my relatives, choose to go with Norton/Symantec. From my experience, however, they're just filling your computer with a load of shit that will eventually make you renew your license out of rage. :)
Remember to keep your antivirus program updated with the latest virus signatures. Doing so will let you receive protection from some of the newer viruses.

Dealing with TinyURL.
TinyURL is a great site, not only for cloaking affiliate links or pranking your friends, but for making your life easier in general. Sadly, some people choose to abuse such services for things that certainly don't benefit you. This is the case with the reason MSN worm being spread on LSRP. When you receive a TinyURL link, you can preview the URL by going here. If you don't recognize the URL, you can use a random webproxy from here with the option 'remove scripts' enabled. This will disable any javascript on the site, preventing your screen from moving around. Worth to mention is that it probably doesn't disable browser exploits, although I'm not experienced in that area.

Using a router.
Now, I'm talking about things I've heard again, and I'm not entirely sure this part is true. I'd be glad if someone like Krisk would be able to confirm it. Basically, if you're using a router with no ports forwarded, it should work like a firewall, making any possible vulnerabilities unable to exploit (?). Therefore, it's a good idea to buy a cheap router if you don't have one already.

Warez.
I might not be completely unbiased when I say this, as I'm against warezing, though I believe that's the phenomenon being the most common reason for people getting infected with viruses. I don't warez myself, and I never find myself in any uncomfortable situation. Basically, we'll re-read the top of the thread where I say that there's no free lunch on the internet. Who would want to risk a jail sentence sharing the latest movie? Not many would.

To be continued.
Mike Carfano

chrishan
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Re: Keeping your computer clean from viruses.

Post by chrishan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:51 am

Great! Should be stickied!
Olivier Carrington ~ Kazuyoshi Yanagisawa ~ Steven Bloomfield

Thuggy
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Thuggy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:53 am

Common sense, I always find a huge lack of that with some people.
500 :twisted:

Hirozaki Takara
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Hirozaki Takara » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:42 am

Thuggy wrote:Common sense, I always find a huge lack of that with some people.

Scorpio
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Scorpio » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Hirozaki Takara wrote:

How is it common sense? Not every one is a computer pro, and knows about this stuff.

Great guide btw.

Thuggy
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Thuggy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Scorpio wrote:
Hirozaki Takara wrote:

How is it common sense? Not every one is a computer pro, and knows about this stuff.

Great guide btw.

Because you do not click some fucking weird links on MSN or go and click on random AD's that you dont know.
500 :twisted:

Hirozaki Takara
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Hirozaki Takara » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:54 pm

Scorpio wrote:How is it common sense? Not every one is a computer pro, and knows about this stuff.

Great guide btw.

Not being a computer pro doesn't prevent someone from using his brain. Doing so will make being a computer pro not necessary. And no guides will help people who don't have a brain or don't want to use it.
Even if today I would be using a computer for the first time ever, I wouldn't click some 'you've just won a million, click here to claim' shit. That's what's common sense.

Did you guys even read the guide, ffs.

Adam
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Adam » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:28 am

Scorpio wrote:
Hirozaki Takara wrote:

Great guide btw.

I think he's refering to what I said in the OP about getting free iPhones, etc.
And thank you!
Mike Carfano

Eze
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: Josue Aguilar

Post by Eze » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:44 am

Thanks for the guide but generally for me I don't have any viruses, just adware on my other PC. Though on this laptop I scan with Trend Micro(great but expensive) 3 times a day, it finds nothing because I scan so much.
Y'dont want it with the Southside, ese you'll be feeding your skull fuckin army rifle clips into your head you fuckin' leva, 424 ain't got -shit- on us, "Ryderfield" ain't got -shit- on us. No one does 'cuz homie we the fuckin mob, mafia, everything..you name it dog..any mayatero from any hood rolls up they get shot, y'know'um saying? 'cuz that's what the fuck happens in Corona, Unity - thas' the fuckin varrio right there, X3

ImageImageImage

Mak-10
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Mak-10 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:50 pm

Adam wrote:Using a router.
Now, I'm talking about things I've heard again, and I'm not entirely sure this part is true. I'd be glad if someone like Krisk would be able to confirm it. Basically, if you're using a router with no ports forwarded, it should work like a firewall, making any possible vulnerabilities unable to exploit (?). Therefore, it's a good idea to buy a cheap router if you don't have one already.

Well.. you can still be hacked and recieve virus's through the router, its just harder if you haven't port forwarded.
Use a WPA-PSK [TKIP] password or if you can a WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES. But thats only for really high security, remember to use a router password when you log into your router at for example 192.168.1.1, Default Log ins are like
Username: Admin
Password?: password
Change this ^^ Otherwise hackers will be able to log in and basically destroy your internet. Thanks for listening and enjoy :D
???
"Unknown"
[spoiler]ImageLulz[/spoiler]

Fusion
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Fusion » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:37 am

Uh , One of my friend just lost his account because of a keylogger or something like that . He was also playing on LS:RP and that " hacker " just stole every password .. so ..... be carefull what are you downloading or recieving from " friends " .
Trevor McLoughlin

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."[/center]

Adam
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Adam » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:49 am

Fusion wrote:Uh , One of my friend just lost his account because of a keylogger or something like that . He was also playing on LS:RP and that " hacker " just stole every password .. so ..... be carefull what are you downloading or recieving from " friends " .

In all honesty, if you get keylogged, you're doing something really wrong. To keep it short and sweet, don't open anything you don't know what it is and if you have to, do it on a virtual machine.
Mike Carfano

Adam
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Adam » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:50 am

Mak-10 wrote:
Adam wrote:Using a router.

Well.. you can still be hacked and recieve virus's through the router, its just harder if you haven't port forwarded.
Use a WPA-PSK [TKIP] password or if you can a WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES. But thats only for really high security, remember to use a router password when you log into your router at for example 192.168.1.1, Default Log ins are like
Username: Admin
Password?: password
Change this ^^ Otherwise hackers will be able to log in and basically destroy your internet. Thanks for listening and enjoy :D

How do you mean, receive a virus through the router? The router doesn't run a stable OS from what I know, and then you want to program a specific exploit and search an entire network for THAT one exploit? Does not make sense. Also, you can't log on from an external IP.

The only thing I can think of would be someone in your apartment complex connecting to your network and THEN accessing your router, but as long as you have a WPA key that's relatively hard to do; WEP is another story with BackTrack. Usually, those people only want free internet though, so you need not worry.
Mike Carfano

Fusion
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Fusion » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:16 pm

Adam wrote:
Fusion wrote:Uh , One of my friend just lost his account because of a keylogger or something like that . He was also playing on LS:RP and that " hacker " just stole every password .. so ..... be carefull what are you downloading or recieving from " friends " .

In all honesty, if you get keylogged, you're doing something really wrong. To keep it short and sweet, don't open anything you don't know what it is and if you have to, do it on a virtual machine.

Well , My friend told me these keyloggers can be hidden " in " any files . He got it from a random picture he had it in PC recieved from someone on messenger .
Trevor McLoughlin

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."[/center]

Adam
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Adam » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:07 am

Fusion wrote:
Adam wrote:

Well , My friend told me these keyloggers can be hidden " in " any files . He got it from a random picture he had it in PC recieved from someone on messenger .

You can bind keyloggers to other EXE-files, but as far as I know, binding them to images would be impossible due to the exes being binary. Then again, I'm not a computer security expert!
Mike Carfano

Return to “Q&TS Archive”