Keeping your computer clean from viruses.

All old Questions / Technical Support topics are moved here. You can search this section for an answer to a question also, if you wish.

Moderators: Junior Admins, Junior Developers, Senior Lead Admins

areena

Re: Keeping your computer clean from viruses.

Post by areena » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:44 am

thanks for such authentic and consistant information,it is gretly beneficient to computer users but my dear you have used aword "common sense"which cant be considered to be right because it,s not the matter ofcommonsense its the matter of awareness.

areena

Post by areena » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:59 am

you are right every one of us is not a programmer but still there are some cases of common sense for every computer users that he described below and we should agree with him.......

areena

Post by areena » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:05 pm

i appericiate your parameters of discuussion you have clarified your means of using common sense finely .Ithink each of us should be satisfied now.

thinker
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by thinker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:43 am

Using norton 360, no viruses at all, and easy to get 4free :)

BasedMuffin
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Ace Kingston

Post by BasedMuffin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:12 am

thinker wrote:Using norton 360, no viruses at all, and easy to get 4free :)

Norton is a no no, It can hardly detect viruses. Kasperky on the other hand is good if you have a really high end rig, I'm saying Kasperky requires a lot of system resources. It stands 2GB while idling and up to 4 GB RAM while it's scanning for viruses. I'm saying it's not great if your going to have it and be doing other things in the background, I recommend Bit Defender It's a really good anti-virus software and can detect 90% of the viruses other anti-viruses like Panda use cloud service which is a really great feature in my opinion.

Image Police Officer III Ace Kingston

Codeine Caliphate

Post by Codeine Caliphate » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:13 am

Norton's not good in my opinion. Get the newest version of AVG. Catches everything.

Nick.
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Nick. » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:38 pm

If you just used GNU/Linux or a BSD distro, you wouldn't need an AV. Just iptables (default on most user-friendly distros) and you're good to go!
لا شكر على واجب

Fakey
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Fakey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:07 pm

That's good.

FilthyFatFunk
Civilian
Civilian
Ingame name: Randall Boone

Post by FilthyFatFunk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:38 pm

A simple tip to help you know what you're downloading,

• Download "Sandboxie" and download a suspicous file inside the sandbox. You will be able to determine if it is a virus or not, and if it is - the virus will not be able to hurt your PC.

lehm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by lehm » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:53 pm

FilthyFatFunk wrote:A simple tip to help you know what you're downloading,

• Download "Sandboxie" and download a suspicous file inside the sandbox. You will be able to determine if it is a virus or not, and if it is - the virus will not be able to hurt your PC.
if it's possible then use virtual machine instead of running suspicious files on your host pc through sandboxie as when you run an infected executable created by some rat tool and you have set internet access allowed to all programs on sandboxie, you make a connection temporarily until you kill the processes and by that time the other party can simply grab your passwords, transfer files and do all other stuff
[img]

Buck?
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Roxanne Bellerose

Post by Buck? » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:04 pm

To dump some new info into this topic, here's some useful things.

Is your Anti Virus software actually as good as they say?
http://www.av-comparatives.org/
AV Comparatives is a website that tests the majority of known (and some lesser known) softwares for removing malware.
They do this every half-year I believe, once every 6th month, by dumping a computer full of known scripts and viruses with anti-malware software installed to see if it's able to detect them and remove them.

This is the results of August 2014 for Real World Protection Tests:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-conte ... 014_08.pdf

Free Alternatives
Some of you aren't pleased with paying $30/year for a piece of software, and some of you resort to alternatives (i.e. cracked versions) to cheap out on things when this will leave you vulnerable without automated updates,
so here's a list of free alternatives.

Avast - Fairly known in the gaming industry, includes advanced automated updating for other softwares of yours.
Avira - Seems to report a few false viruses, however it's a fairly fast and has overall good scores.
AVG - Everyone who's used software back in the days knows AVG. They've updated it a lot and gets the job done.
Comodo - Personal favourite. Includes firewall and sandbox mode that runs all your files through a check before opening.
(The sandbox mode blocks certain games such as Starcraft 2, requiring you to temp. disable it)
Microsoft Essentials - Perfect for installing next to another anti-virus program, assuring absolute protection.

Is my Anti Virus actually doing anything?
You can run the EICAR test harmlessly on your computer.
All you do is copy-paste a line of test into a .txt or .bat file, and if the file is removed then everything's working.

Return to “Q&TS Archive”