IRC Q&A for Technical issues [IRC Related issues]

All old Questions / Technical Support topics are moved here. You can search this section for an answer to a question also, if you wish.

Moderators: Junior Admins, Junior Developers, Senior Lead Admins

Sir Eric.
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Eric_Blackwell

IRC Q&A for Technical issues [IRC Related issues]

Post by Sir Eric. » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:17 pm

Common issues and solutions
Dummies thread for issues, solutions and wonders.

What is IRC?
IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat and is basically a protocol used to chat realtime, for an example it could be compared to MSN where users are allowed to talk with eachother in realtime. Although IRC was specifically developed for group communications allowing several people to communicate in group in an easy way. Although whilst IRCs primary use was intended for group communications, it has many other features such as private messaging and file transfers.

How do I connect to IRC?
In order to connect to IRC you need to get yourself a client which allows you to connect - you can either choose to download a program or use a web-based application to connect. Although I strongly advice you getting the program due to the fact it's better and is way more user friendly if you're doing more than just writing.

There are numerous of clients that you can use, although the most popular one is called mIRC and is the dominating client. You can download the client at their website, http://www.mirc.com - although there are several other clients you can use, if you wish ofcourse. Linux for an example is a popular IRC client among Linux users, can be downloaded at http://irssi.org/

mIRC setup guides:
http://www.forum.ls-rp.com/viewtopic.php?f=353&t=126002 - Guide made by Aero
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=156653&hilit=irc+guide - Guide made by MDolce

So I got this client running now - what do I type to get connected / why can't I connect? It reconnects me and gives me dns pool errors?
Almost all big clients such as mIRC and irssi uses the command /server to iniate server contact, although there could be some clients using a different command such as /connect or anything similar. If you're using anything else than mIRC or irssi you should do some basic research about your client on their website.

If you wish to connect onto the server where LSRP communicates, one of the following servers should be appropriate.
foco.us.irc.tl
foco2.us.irc.tl
irc.focogaming.com
foco.nl.irc.tl
exnet.se.irc.tl
gamerx.nl.ir.ctl

/server irc.focogaming.com
So that is how we would be connecting to the right server - all of the servers above are re-directing you to the same spot. So regardless of which one you use, you'll end up at the same place. Although sometimes these servers gets attacked, so they might not be functioning. So if it disconnects you upon connection attempt or you simply continue reconnecting - then you should try using a different one, perhaps foco.nl.irc.tl

What is a netsplit?¨
Basically netsplits happens when people are connected to different servers and one of the servers goes down - simply put, the server you are online at, splits from the other server. Although it'll probably go back fairly quick so there is no point to re-connect yourself onto another server to solve the problem most of the times.

What is the nickserv?
Nickserv is a nickname registration service allowing you to register your nickname on the network, pretty much like the forums you are protecting your nickname ensuring noone else uses it to impersonate you.

/nickserv register password email
/nickserv identify password

First command is used to register your nickname, fill in the password and email you want to register it with.
Authenticate yourself using the second command, which is not needed right after - although at later points when logging on. Registrations are not permanent though. Privilegies such as operator status in different channels are oftenly registered onto your nickname requiring you to identify yourself in order to verify yourself with the channel to get the privileges your nickname has.

What is the chanserv?
Chanserv was initally created to ensure people didn't take over channels, handle channel management and generelly making things easier for both regular users and channel administrators. For an example chanserv can be used to register you own channel and to keep it administered with certain users have certain privilegies in your channel.

/chanserv register #channel password description
If you wish having your own private of your own, the command above is what is used to actually register it - which is something you should be doing if you wish keeping the channel to yourself and moderate it as you wish. Channel registration drops after 30 days of inactivity though.

/chanserv vop #SirEric add nickname -> Adds the user auto voice list of your channel, nick must be registered.
/chanserv aop #SirEric add nickname -> Adds the user to the auto op list of your channel, nick must be registered.
/chanserv sop #SirEric add nickname -> Adds the user to the auto super op to your channel, nick must be registered.

Why do I get errors about dns pool & connection timing out when connecting to irc.focogaming.com?
As mentioned above some of the servers are being targeted for attacks occasionally which results in the servers being unreachable. Although it's easily solved by just connecting to one of the other servers mentioned above in the list.

I'm trying to get myself connected onto two different servers, but why doesn't it work?
You're probably trying to connect using the same command as before, although the difference is that command is meant for persons connecting to one sever only. If you wish connecting to another server, there's an easy solution for you.

/server -m
followed by the servername, opens up a different connection ensuring your current connection isn't terminated.

Someone is using my nick - what to do?!
If you don't have a very unique nickname chances are it might be busy - although whilst chances are low it occasionally happens even at the small IRC networks. If the nickname is registered there isn't much to do. You'll basically have to change your nickname or ask the person if you can have it. If you have registered your nickname previously, you can use the following command to demand it back forefully by terminating their connection: /nickserv ghost nickname password

Commands out of use
/join #channelname - allows you to join any channel.
/part allows you to leave the channel you're currently in.
/slap nickname allows you to slap people being retarded
/query nickname allows you to open a private chat with someone
/whois nickname allows you to get some basic information about someone on the network.
/ignore nickname allows you to ignore morons asking you for useless stuff.
/help allows you to uh, well that's kind of self explanatory isn't it.
/quit allows you to terminate your connection to the server

in work.
Last edited by Sir Eric. on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
Retired from all tester related work, Sir Eric is a free elf.

Allegra
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Allegra Nixon

Re: Common issues & solutions [IRC ISSUES & BASICS OF IRC -

Post by Allegra » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:36 pm

This is particularly useful; helped me connect to IRC on my iPhone with the different server options.

Good job.

damaz
God of Spammers
God of Spammers

Post by damaz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Should get stickied, nice job my Swedish mate.
i was head of testers, head of factions and an in-game lead admin. i also led a faction called Beasley & Associates now i'm just that washed up swede

Riley
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by Riley » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Fantastic.

bigworld
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Re: Common issues & solutions [IRC ISSUES & BASICS OF IT - F

Post by bigworld » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:48 am

Nice. Very nice. Thanks for the effort you've put into it.

PalGrab
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Edvin_Drag

Re: Common issues & solutions [IRC ISSUES & BASICS OF IT - F

Post by PalGrab » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Nice job, will help to the others.
LSRP is a big dream, LSRP for ever.

Tolic
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Re: IRC Q&A for Technical issues [IRC Related issues]

Post by Tolic » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:24 am

Thank you Sir Eric :D

Scrappy Coco
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Scrappy Coco » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 pm

I just can't manage to join the LSRP channel through the program itself and not through the UCP. I type /server irc.tl and it does literally nothing. Am I doing anything wrong?
Challenge accepted.

Sir Eric.
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Sir Eric. » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Scrappy Coco wrote:I just can't manage to join the LSRP channel through the program itself and not through the UCP. I type /server irc.tl and it does literally nothing. Am I doing anything wrong?

Use one of the alternative ones, such as /server eu.irc.tl
more ones in the list.

Edwin
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Edwin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:46 pm

What shall I do?

Cashew
Spam Machine
Spam Machine
Ingame name: George Dixon

Post by Cashew » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:28 am

Edwin wrote:What shall I do?

You'll have to buy the full version of mIRC. I'm sure there's a bug if you click register and then close it, you can press continue and keep using it.

Sir Eric.
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Sir Eric. » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 pm

sirlupash
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: Tisiphone_Bezzerides

Post by sirlupash » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Honestly, this isn't mentioned in the guide above, but I wouldn't really suggest you to use the old, basic mIRC version. There are a lot of scripts and clients around the net and I'd personally suggest you to use this one, http://www.kvirc.net/?id=&lang=en
You just have to install it, it's free and independent from mIRC, it's gonna solve mIRC time issues, it's way more user-friendly and has a lot of tools you can use to consistently improve your IRC experience.

Sir Eric.
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Sir Eric. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:45 pm

^Recommending latest version of mIRC, method of bypassing timer can be found in the initial post.

windowskey

Post by windowskey » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 am

This kind of standardization is certainly enterprise-friendly, and of course a far cry from the forward-leaning "rapid release cycle" that Windows Key Shop is touting for its current products and services.

Return to “Q&TS Archive”