Modifications in GTA:SA (FAQ/Help)

All old Questions / Technical Support topics are moved here. You can search this section for an answer to a question also, if you wish.

Moderators: Game Admins, LS-RP Testers, Player Support Mods, Junior Developers, Lead Admins

kavinsky
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Not_Pitchounette

Modifications in GTA:SA (FAQ/Help)

Post by kavinsky » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:44 pm

USING MODIFICATIONS IN GTA:SA

What the hell is this?
  • I'm getting tired to see many threads with the same issues over and over again, while they could be resolved in the beginning with purely common sense. That doesn't mean people are stupid, but too naive while thinking that everything will work out like a charm, always, which doesn't.

I can offer help (If I'm available) in IRC, channel #mod

This is opened and for everyone, so share your thoughts, questions, answers, solutions — basically anything around the modding field in Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas.

Important note: This thread won't solve every problem or question you might have nor will it be completed with all fields, and I'm not all-mighty.

Foreword

Backing up
  • Before you do anything to the game, back up the files you are going to mod. I usually have two or more default and clean versions of the files I want to mod (Example: A folder 'GTA SA ORIGINAL FILES', which contains an original GTA3.IMG, and possibly a modded one which is stable and fully working). You should never be too lazy to do backups, because we won't send you the original files, it's your problem to lose right here.
Variety of tools
  • Yes, it's quite confusing to choose the right one. I cannot and won't force you upon using a certain tool, but I will tell you what I'm using over the years of modding which works for me really well. TXD Workshop, for importing images/graphic-files into *.txd files, Alcis IMG Editor 1.5 for importing files into *.IMG files, Autodesk 2010 (also known as 3DS Max) and ZModeler2 for modeling, rigging and converting stuff.

There's also SAMi which is not bad too for the uber-lazy people, or IMG Tool 2.0 which works fine aswell but doesn't have a multiple-import support and sometimes tends to throw out I/O errors out of no-where.

FAQ

I get an I/O error with any modding-tool when I try to rebuild the GTA3.IMG, what does that mean?
Spoiler: show
An I/O error is basically an overflow of data which cannot be proceed, which means you do not have the required diskspace on your HDD (or partition) to build a temporary file which is needed while rebuilding; Solution can be freeing more space.

Everytime I try to import a mod with IMG Tool 2.0 the mod doesn't show up ingame, it's still the original one. Some devil fooling me?
Eh, no. Basically, which happens most of the times with IMG Tool 2.0, but happens sometimes aswell with other tools, is a —I would call it— a writing-failure. Basically you have to delete the files before you're going to replace them, that's the only way it'll work. Example: Delete vmyguard.dff / .txd, then replace it, and save it.

I crash instantly after I added a mod, am I too stupid to add mods?
No, you aren't. This is a tough question, since a crash can be caused by many factors, I'll part it into the most common issues.

Skin Mods
  • If the size of the skin mod is huge (bigger filesize than 4-6 MB) try to rebuild and see if it works
  • The skin is not rigged correctly. (Modders check for: bones/textures (Yes, sometimes the textures can fuck up the mod))
  • The *.txd file is bugged. In this case check if you correctly added alpha-files or if an image is compressed or not. Remember that the GTA engine can only handle even sizes of images (2x2, 4x4, 128x512, 256x256, etc.)
Vehicle Mods
  • If the size of the vehicle mod is huge (bigger filesize than 6 MB) try to rebuild and see if it works
  • You possibly replaced a four-door car with a two-door one or vice versa.
  • The *.txd file is bugged. In this case check if you correctly added alpha-files or if an image is compressed or not. Remember that the GTA engine can only handle even sizes of images (2x2, 4x4, 128x512, 256x256, etc.)
  • You replaced a WAA car (Elegy, Jester, Sultan, etc.) or LRC (Low rider car) with hasn't either new modding-parts (for the tuning) or has no dummy-settings for the modding-parts, at all.

I want to edit and import a mod, how?
This section is gold. Nearly everything around modding which is stickied can and maybe help you out in adding, removing, importing, exporting etcetera around GTA:SA

I imported a rim-mod and it appears to be white, why?
Basically, SA:MP's blocking several things which includes the vehicle.txd. So check if your rim-mod is using a standalone *.txd-file, otherwise you have to make yourself one to make it work. Example: Tyre1.dff needs Tyre1.txd.
Also you have to rename - if you're using a mod which has a .txd with it - the veh_mods.ide (located at GTA San Andreas\data\maps\veh_mods\).

I imported a nice vehicle mod, but I'm dissapointed about the height/handling of the car. Can I fix that?
Many mods are using a custom handling line (handling.cfg) to adjust the wheels and the height of the car. SA:MP's blocking this file too (for a good reason, since you can edit the velocity there too) so you've to live with it. You can possibly edit the mod in ZModeler or 3DS Max, which is farely easy. Lower the wheel_dummy's and use a different .col file which will fix the height.

I never figured out how to install SRT3 and all my mods correctly. Either I crash or it doesn't work properly.
  • Make a backup of your current GTA3.IMG / the original one
  • Import all of your usual mods (Skins, cars, textures . . ., etc.)
  • Extract SRT3 to a destinated folder
  • Open Sparks, Alcis IMG Editor 1.5 or whatever tool you use (Except IMG Tool 2.0, would take ages)
  • Import the SRT3 files
  • Rebuild
  • If the rebuild throws an I/O Error out, or stops around 95%, close it, redo it without rebuilding but using 'save'
  • Go ingame, voila

Why is the vehicle.txd blocked in SA:MP?
The vehicle.txd was not intentionally blocked. It had to be replaced in order to fix a bug in GTA SA 1.0 where cars always have dirt applied. Nothing has changed in 0.3b regarding this, the vehicles.txd fix has been in SA-MP since 0.2X and that includes SA-MP 0.3a.

Saying that we have gone and blocked all texture mods is really a far stretch.

Quoted by by Kalcor (Kye) from the sa-mp.com forum.
kavinsky
Prolocutor
Designer
Administrator
Allison Garner
Police Officer
LSPD

Arnold McTrevor
Chief Judge
Department of Justice

AmnesiaSmoke
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: mr bikelife

Re: Modifications in GTA:SA (FAQ/Help)

Post by AmnesiaSmoke » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 pm

If I have downloaded a weapon mod which replaces the Desert Eagle, but I want it to replace the colt, how do I do so? I know it has something to do with renaming, but if so what do I rename it as? I'm new to this, sorry.
still on his money made fucking mafia shit
$$$

Hash
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: VICKZ

Post by Hash » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:00 pm

AmnesiaSmoke wrote:If I have downloaded a weapon mod which replaces the Desert Eagle, but I want it to replace the colt, how do I do so? I know it has something to do with renaming, but if so what do I rename it as? I'm new to this, sorry.

Rename the mod to colt45.txd and colt45.dff.

Scrappy Coco
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Scrappy Coco » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:03 pm

Hash wrote:
AmnesiaSmoke wrote:If I have downloaded a weapon mod which replaces the Desert Eagle, but I want it to replace the colt, how do I do so? I know it has something to do with renaming, but if so what do I rename it as? I'm new to this, sorry.

Rename the mod to colt45.txd and colt45.dff.

Same goes also for cars? But in the limit area, like I wouldn't put a plane mod on a bike. But if I want some bike for an FCR but it's for Freeway, am I able to just change the name?
Challenge accepted.

Cortez
Super Lawyer
Super Lawyer
Ingame name: Lance_Richmond

Post by Cortez » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Scrappy Coco wrote:Same goes also for cars? But in the limit area, like I wouldn't put a plane mod on a bike. But if I want some bike for an FCR but it's for Freeway, am I able to just change the name?

Exactly, but the handling would be different.

JULM
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by JULM » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm trying to import a .dff file of a vehicle to ZModeler to raise the car but it says that the file is locked and cannot be imported. Any solutions how to unlock it or how to make it possible to get it imported?

syotos
- Bronze Member -
- Bronze Member -
Ingame name: I wish I knew it!

Post by syotos » Tue May 24, 2011 7:13 pm

I installed gta, and I forgot to backup the files and my gta has now mods that I dont want.
I desistalled Gta twice and I keep the same mods that I dont want, any ideas how to fix this?
Thanks
I'm BACK BABY.
What makes me continue Roleplay as a DoC? here's the answer.

Thank you to all inmates that give me the strength to come online.

Scrappy Coco
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Scrappy Coco » Thu May 26, 2011 6:27 am

syotos wrote:I installed gta, and I forgot to backup the files and my gta has now mods that I dont want.
I desistalled Gta twice and I keep the same mods that I dont want, any ideas how to fix this?
Thanks

Install GTA on C, grab the gta3.img, hud.txd, int.txd, and move them to your GTA that's on D. Remove the GTA that's on C. Then, after already replacing the GTA on D files with the new ones, reinstall your GTA.
Challenge accepted.

Kevin_Crooks
Gangster
Gangster

Post by Kevin_Crooks » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:58 am

I installed a cop car mod and when i play the gta san andreas game the textures go crazy and i cant see the building's and the cop cars don't even show,it only show's police on motorbike's,but when i play online then everything's fine....is there anyway to fix this? i already tryed to rebuild the archive and it's still giving the same problems?

Cortez
Super Lawyer
Super Lawyer

Post by Cortez » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Kevin_Crooks wrote:I installed a cop car mod and when i play the gta san andreas game the textures go crazy and i cant see the building's and the cop cars don't even show,it only show's police on motorbike's,but when i play online then everything's fine....is there anyway to fix this? i already tryed to rebuild the archive and it's still giving the same problems?

Try to re-install the mod or get stream memory fix. It should fix your problem.

Milo
- Silver Member -
- Silver Member -

Post by Milo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:21 pm

I have recently started playing samp again, i have instaloled gta, used the patch to make it the older version, and used img.tool to add my ped mods... I rebuild archive after replacing and still does not show in game... Any ideas?
Raekwon "Rack" Coles
Raekwon Coles Char mod v2.0: http://forum.ls-rp.com/viewtopic.php?f=219&t=217571
Prime Clothing Store:http://forum.ls-rp.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8#p2667748
Past characters:
[spoiler]Dedrick_Prince: N/A
Terrell Brown: Died after being shot in the streets
Emilio_Muno: Flew back to mexico.
Josh_Hinton: Died in a shooting.
Montre_Livingston: Flew out of LS For unknown reason.
Milan_Slovki: In LSP.[/spoiler]

Cortez
Super Lawyer
Super Lawyer

Post by Cortez » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Milo wrote:I have recently started playing samp again, i have instaloled gta, used the patch to make it the older version, and used img.tool to add my ped mods... I rebuild archive after replacing and still does not show in game... Any ideas?

Ped or skin mods? It's not the same thing.

AmnesiaSmoke
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: mr bikelife

Post by AmnesiaSmoke » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Milo wrote:I have recently started playing samp again, i have instaloled gta, used the patch to make it the older version, and used img.tool to add my ped mods... I rebuild archive after replacing and still does not show in game... Any ideas?

You might be installing the mods into your back up files instead of the files you're playing with (ones in your GTA SA Directory), this is what I did when I first tried installing mods.

My question: Can somebody explain how to install a Graffiti modpack using IMG Tool to me, thanks.
still on his money made fucking mafia shit
$$$

Cortez
Super Lawyer
Super Lawyer

Post by Cortez » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Open up IMG tool, open your gta3.img, add the graffiti txd files and then rebuild your acrhive!

Coldsteel
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Coldsteel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Scrappy Coco wrote:
syotos wrote:I installed gta, and I forgot to backup the files and my gta has now mods that I dont want.
Thanks

Install GTA on C, grab the gta3.img, hud.txd, int.txd, and move them to your GTA that's on D. Remove the GTA that's on C. Then, after already replacing the GTA on D files with the new ones, reinstall your GTA.

I have the same problem but I dont have two discs, any idea how to help me? Thanks.
Two lane blacktop isnt a highway - it's an attitude.

Return to “Q&TS Archive”