Addressing recent technical issues

Any important server news or announcements will be posted here.

Moderators: Lead Developers, Senior Lead Admins

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development
Ingame name: Lucas Foreman

Addressing recent technical issues

Post by Mmartin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm sure you all noticed that a lot of our services have been unstable lately. This includes our main boards, lsgov themes, TeamSpeak services and the UCP. This is very unfortunate timing along with other community related issues and it's as exhausting for me as it is for you.

For the sake of transparency and awareness, I'll try and do my best addressing these in this topic. First and foremost, we can handle issues as they occur, they're quite expected and I've been doing that with little outside help needed for the last two years or so, while still maintaining a stable line of creative work, whether that's new updates to the gamemode or other features. Recently however, the issues started piling up and became more frequent, which put a strain on my freedom to actually work on new things but that's OK, we had other people in the team to focus on that and I didn't mind being the "maintenance guy" for a while until things get resolved, but with new technical challenges appearing literally (and I'm not using that word liberally) every day, it becomes difficult to juggle your priorities and keep everything running steady.

While I've access to most of the servers where LS-RP services are hosted, there's still some exceptions (mostly because I never really needed it), and I rely on Mow to address issues if they occur on those ends, however we haven't been able to reach him since October 7th. Reason for that is unknown to me and I've exhausted all possible means of contact I had. These services include our mail servers (related to the issues of 2FA emails either not sending or then later spamming your inbox), TeamSpeak (while I can access the server itself, our license expired and I don't have means or funds to renew it) and top-level server management, which relates to the recent forum & UCP issues because of wrong configuration, which resulted in unforeseen errors that ended up causing more damage that can be fixed with a simple switch.

I'm not the one to point fingers and I don't want you to take this post as offloading the blame everywhere. I have made a point of the plural pronoun "we" instead of "I" for all positive or negative announcements, because whether the server thrives or suffers, it's a result of team effort. But with the recent wave of negativity from the community, lack of motivation from key staff members and the development team, I feel that the best policy right now is transparency and describing issues how they are. I'm disappointed that I've to even make this post but I feel it's in the best interest of my mental well-being to get it off my chest rather than quietly take the complaints and abuse while being, to an extent, powerless to fix things once and for good.

What does this mean? Is LS-RP DEAD?!
Well no. I'm gonna back everything I can up in case more of our servers unexpectedly expire and prepare for the worst, but I hope it won't get there. I'm not entirely sure what to do right now but my course of action in the following days will be to dedicate as much time as I can to finding ways and workarounds to fix what's broken by any means necessary. It might take a longer time for your PM's to get answered as there's really a lot of things to go through, so if you don't get a reply or your issue isn't addressed right away - I'm sorry, we're doing our best.

I'll be using this thread as a tracker to post what's been addressed and inform you of any changes in the process. I said this at the beginning and I'll say it again, I know it's exhausting to deal with different bullshit on here every day, but it's a headache for us as much as it is for you.

Anyway,
Mmartin

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development

Re: Addressing recent technical issues

Post by Mmartin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:31 pm

A quick footnote, I don't want anyone to think the post was a mean to get pity in any way, but rather a way to explain why things have been taking time to get resolved.

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development

Post by Mmartin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:37 pm

TeamSpeak server is up again. I'll be addressing the rest of the issues throughout the week and update here.

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development

Post by Mmartin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Connection with Mow has been re-established, I think I identified what the issue is with the UCP and we're working on a fix right now. I appreciate the people showing support and providing constructive ideas, everything's going quite well now :)

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development

Post by Mmartin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:53 pm

The UCP should we up and working again. I'll update in the event it doesn't stay that way.

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development

Post by Mmartin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Emails should be fixed now from what I can tell (received my 2FA right away).

Return to “Announcements”