Server Lag Analysis

Any important server news or announcements will be posted here.

Moderators: Lead Developers, Senior Lead Admins

Noble
Developer
Ingame name: Trevaughn_Willis

Server Lag Analysis

Post by Noble » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:07 pm

Hey all,

As you know we've been suffering from what we refer to as 'lag' since the introduction of the 5.6.005 revision. With the introduction of the anniversary revisions on top of that, it's increased the scope of where this issue actually lies, making our job a little harder and more time-consuming. The team and I have now devised a strategy towards how we can solve this problem whilst keeping disturbance to the community to a minimum.

Yesterday (02/07/2017) I introduced the ability to toggle features allowing us at run-time to disable an entire feature for example Poker. I added coverage to all features added in the anniversary revision along with some coverage of the updates which were introduced from 5.6.005 up to the point of the final anniversary update. With this change in I was unfortunately not able to spot any significant improvement when disabling the changes.

We've also personally reviewed and analysed the code which was introduced and whilst we've noticed some subtle improvements which we've applied, nothing major was found. In order to identify the offending code, we are now going to have to go back in time by rolling back to 5.6.005 and re-apply each addition so that we can identify which one introduces the problem.

This scenario is very interesting to test as it only appears when we hit around ~350 players, I'm also finding it hard to reproduce this scenario synthetically in my test environment as the trigger could be from a variety of sources: a player command, a callback or a timer all being contained in a variety of features.

I said at the start of this post that we're trying not to cause much of a disturbance to the community so whilst running this investigation we will be offering all players the following benefits of being in-game during this period:

x2.0 multiplier on payday (includes bank interest, savings and pay cheque)

I know losing functionality for a temporary period of time may be frustrating, however; we need to conduct this investigation to eliminate this issue which is affecting the server at scale. We also thank those of you which are contributing to solving this issue by suggesting towards what may be causing the problem, however, we ask you to continue playing as normal and hold off with the suggestions as we have several tools in place to give us direct metrics from the SA-MP server's runtime, one of those being a profiler which is giving us low-level metrics of execution times of the code.

This change will come into effect on 04/07/2017.

On behalf of the development team,
Noble

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development
Ingame name: Lucas Foreman

Re: Server Lag Analysis

Post by Mmartin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:33 pm

The issue is fixed.

We're now reinstating the anniversary updates (they were ruled out as the cause). I'm happy that we'll soon be finally able to be productive again, instead of dwelling on this issue as we've been for the past month or two.

The payday multiplier will stay in place until all of that is done, so probably till tomorrow or the day after. We'll see.

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development
Ingame name: Lucas Foreman

Re: Server Lag Analysis

Post by Mmartin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Most of the anniversary features have now been reinstated. There's still a couple left to plug in, but the server should be very playable now. To reiterate myself, I'm very happy this is finally done with.

Return to “Announcements”