A Decade of LS-RP - Drugs 1.0 (9/12)

Any important server news or announcements will be posted here.

Moderators: Lead Developers, Senior Lead Admins

otter
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

A Decade of LS-RP - Drugs 1.0 (9/12)

Post by otter » Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 pm

[pre]PREFACE[/pre]

A revision to the drug system has been demanded by the community for as long as I can remember, and on December 25, 2016 — I announced the 2017 Drug Update. Since my initial post, things have changed fairly significantly. The development cycle of a project of this calibre can be rather strenuous. Ideas evolve over time, and as such, substantial changes have been made. After many many hours of planning, reworking, questioning my own sanity, and god knows how many stupidly late nights of coding - I'm ready to initiate the implementation of this update with a soft release.

This update is not a minor or a simple one — we are replacing the entire drug system on the server with a completely new one. Because of that, this is not a straightforward task. Many, many factors must be considered in order to bring in a new, expanded drug system, and everything has to work together like a well-oiled machine to avoid any complications. This update is not built off or inspired by the old system — it's built entirely from scratch, brand new, from the ground-up. Rome was not built in a day and this new implementation will undoubtedly have some teething problems out the gate, but I am going to be doing everything I can to minimise and resolve issues as we move forward with the system in play on the server. It will be my primary focus on the development front until it is where it needs to be.

Things are going to come together gradually, but patience is going to be required. This entire update is far more than revising a script: it's stripping back an entire market and building it from the ground up again. Everything needs to be considered. It's unprecedented in scale (most certainly for me, at least), but everything will be worth it in the long run. You've got to step back and look at the bigger picture sometimes. A lot of these things are for the greater good.

But enough rambling. Without further ado, I present...
[pre]DRUGS 1.0[/pre]
WHAT IS DRUGS 1.0?
  • Drugs 1.0 is the first iteration of the new system and will contain the features that are fundamental to an initial release. This 1.0 implementation will not contain all the features listed in the documentation; its primary goal is to add the foundations of the script and to ensure that the drug market is able to re-establish itself and stabilise before more complex components are brought into play.

This initial release will:
    • Eradicate any and all features that are pertinent to the existing system.
    • Introduce an initial drug set consisting of those both old and new, that will pave the path for a new era of roleplay and go hand in hand with the new features brought into play.
    • Include the essentials for your day-to-day interactions with drugs.
    This initial release will not include:
    • Drug addictions.
    • Drug effects (outside of health-point bonuses).
    • Ingredients (and of course, the mixing & planting of them).
    • Prescriptions.
    • Miscellaneous features that are not an integral part of the system's backbone.
    Some may feel that this will serve as a lacklustre release, but my number one priority is ensuring that everything fits into place smoothly and that the market in itself will be able to bounce back from this shock. For the first week or two, the flow of drugs into the server will be controlled by myself and Faction Management. We want to ensure that the rebound of this implementation is not too severe, and by having oversight of what's going in and out of the server, we're able to structure the market in a way that'll ensure everything can take off again.

Once this process has begun, I'll immediately be looking at the next features I want to pull in. I intend on committing to fortnightly updates at the very minimum until the bulk of the features are in place, and I firmly believe that this is the best course of action for me to take. When I'm satisfied that a satisfactory amount of drugs are in circulation, I'll look at following this general timeline:
    • STEP ONE — The reintroduction of production facilities for official factions, coupled with the implementation of expanded drug effects and addictions.
    • STEP TWO — Making certain ingredients accessible to both the general public, and official factions (through production facilities). Once said ingredients are made available, avenues will be opened for players to start mixing their own drugs.
    • STEP THREE — With things starting to return to a normal state, we'll see the reintroduction of drug mixing & grow-ops. There'll be more consistency in the market and it'll be ready for players to start bringing more drugs in themselves. Either this or step two will include measures to control drug stockpiles that may have started accumulating, depending on the state of the market at the time.
    • STEP FOUR — This step will offer some time for reflection. Some features may not be as practical as intended, and revisions may need to be made. An overall review of the update will take place, and what happens next will depend on how everything has settled in.
    This is, of course, subject to change - but it serves as a good representation of my intentions moving forward.
DRUG WIPE
  • With the introduction of a new drug system, it's only fitting for it to be coupled with a complete wipe of the existing drugs on the server. I think it's generally accepted amongst players and staff alike that the ludicrous stockpiles of drugs that have mounted up over the years are damaging as a whole to the integrity of the drug market and contributes massively to its deterioration. This will ruffle the feathers of some, but it's a necessary measure to take to ensure that this revision to the market is effective and that we're able to make the most of this unique situation. It is likely that this will be the only opportunity we get as a community to start with a clean slate.
    • AS AN INDIVIDUAL, it'll be possible for you to receive some money as a reimbursement for the drugs you have lost. We're not talking masses of money, but you will get enough to soften the blow of losing anything you had. The priority here, of course, is not pumping more money into the server. Information pertinent to this will follow in the coming days.
    • AS A FACTION, you will have the opportunity to apply for a batch of drugs to support your day-to-day roleplay. Each request will be handled on a case-by-case basis, and the drugs you get (if any) will be entirely dependent on your faction type, the number of members you have, the contributions you make to the drug roleplay scene, and your overall standing in the community. To find out more, check out this thread.
    I understand that this may cause inconvenience for some, but as I said - this is a necessary step to ensuring the full potential of this update is realised. We can't create something wholly new without starting with a clean slate.
INITIAL DRUG SET
  • To get the ball rolling, an initial set of ten unique drugs will be rolled out to the server. This list is most definitely going to grow as time goes on and many crowd favourites such as the famed "Purple Drank" will soon be seen in-game. Their introduction will be in line with the implementation of new features, and as much as I'd like to throw more in right off the bat, it would, unfortunately, be too much of a shock to a very volatile market. This set of drugs was chosen on the basis of diversity. As I look at feeding drugs into the server, the type of faction on the receiving end will be taken into account. Ideally, we'll be able to encourage an environment in which different groups of criminals are able to become renowned for the drugs they sell, and there will be more of an emphasis on variety in the market.
    • Cocaine
    • Cannabis
    • Xanax
    • MDMA
    • Heroin
    • Ketamine
    • Fentanyl
    • Methamphetamine
    • Steroids
    • Oxycodone
    There are several prescription drugs included in the list. The United States of America is plagued by an opioid epidemic and for a more immersive environment to prosper, it was decided that pushing these kinds of prescription drugs into circulation would be an important step in the right direction. For the time being, prescriptions will not be available. This, again, is a temporary measure and in the coming weeks, you will see the reintroduction of the service.
If you didn't read through that wall of text, make sure you're aware of the drug wipe that will be taking place:
DRUG WIPE
  • With the introduction of a new drug system, it's only fitting for it to be coupled with a complete wipe of the existing drugs on the server. I think it's generally accepted amongst players and staff alike that the ludicrous stockpiles of drugs that have mounted up over the years are damaging as a whole to the integrity of the drug market and contributes massively to its deterioration. This will ruffle the feathers of some, but it's a necessary measure to take to ensure that this revision to the market is effective and that we're able to make the most of this unique situation. It is likely that this will be the only opportunity we get as a community to start with a clean slate.
    • AS AN INDIVIDUAL, it'll be possible for you to receive some money as a reimbursement for the drugs you have lost. We're not talking masses of money, but you will get enough to soften the blow of losing anything you had. The priority here, of course, is not pumping more money into the server. Information pertinent to this will follow in the coming days.
    • AS A FACTION, you will have the opportunity to apply for a batch of drugs to support your day-to-day roleplay. Each request will be handled on a case-by-case basis, and the drugs you get (if any) will be entirely dependent on your faction type, the number of members you have, the contributions you make to the drug roleplay scene, and your overall standing in the community. To find out more, check out this thread.
    I understand that this may cause inconvenience for some, but as I said - this is a necessary step to ensuring the full potential of this update is realised. We can't create something wholly new without starting with a clean slate.
I hope you all enjoy this new update, and I look forward to investing, even more, time into it moving forward. If you want to find out more, check out the feature documentation thread - it has been updated to reflect what is currently in play.

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development
Ingame name: Lucas Foreman

Re: A Decade of LS-RP - Drugs 1.0

Post by Mmartin » Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 pm

Justus
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Harry Bernard

Post by Justus » Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 pm

Fantastic work otter :)
Retired Level 3 Admin, Retired Head of Mappers, Retired Junior Developer

Davis
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Davis » Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 pm

Easy for your boy.

Duco
Questionable Member
Questionable Member

Re: A Decade of LS-RP - Drugs 1.0 (9/12)

Post by Duco » Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 pm

Let's goooo!

Source
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Source » Thu May 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Amazing.

Gøøner
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Gøøner » Thu May 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Good stuff, altough I usually don't use drugs IC-ly :)

JamThat
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by JamThat » Thu May 25, 2017 8:12 pm

YES!

OGCole
Gold Donator
Gold Donator
Ingame name: Calvin Rufus

Post by OGCole » Thu May 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Nice.

TL.
Spam Machine
Spam Machine
Ingame name: Never Forget Loyalty

Post by TL. » Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 pm

JamThat wrote:YES!

AceS|
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by AceS| » Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 pm

my boy otter with the best update

yes
yes
yes
yes

where's oriental KO tho
Last edited by AceS| on Thu May 25, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
friends switch up when you in a benz truck
TWO TIME.
VENOMOUS TWO TIME VIDEO
The Special Enforcement Bureau (2015)

Fruit.
Gnag
Ingame name: KRUGER x DICK

Post by Fruit. » Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 pm

That's more like it.
Fuck that emoji thing dude.

Yuval
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Yuval » Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 pm

waited for it, gj

bloodthirsty
Mafia
Mafia

Post by bloodthirsty » Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 pm

fire

owen
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by owen » Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 pm

Yesssss. This is what I like, good stuff!

Return to “Announcements”