A Decade of LS-RP - Advertisement Improvements (4/12)

Any important server news or announcements will be posted here.

Moderators: Lead Developers, Senior Lead Admins

Pichu
Certified Pillock
Certified Pillock

Re: A Decade of LS-RP - Advertisement Improvements (4/12)

Post by Pichu » Mon May 22, 2017 1:48 pm

hashtagelectro wrote:No, absoloutely not. I do not like it, I hate it extremly much. And there's the reason:
|You can't do any advertisments about your event that is going to happen right now, you have to stay in the queue for the ad.
|You are not able to do /ads anywhere, thus you can't know when is your ad going to be displayed, nor there is any command to check your ad countdown.
|If there's a long queue, you are not able to do a proper RP, it is better to do an ad and to get the calls when you made it, however when there's a long queue, you get to wait a lot and you might even forget about the ad you placed, then you get calls randomly while you may have been involved in another RP Situation.
|You can't cancell an ad.
| You can't decide at what time your ad should be aired at, thus you get into awkward and confusefull situations.

My suggestion is: Add the old /ad system back, but, improve it. Like I'm going to state below:
|If you place an ad, you have to wait 1-2 Minutes to be able to place another one again, thus removing spam even if there's nobody else trying to do an ad, and this way someone that would want to place an ad would be able because you are in the countdown.
|If you are a donator, you get to wait only 65 Seconds after placing an ad, thus still giving the possibility to others to place their ad.
|Add /enter queue, and place your ad into a pop-up box, then to set a specific time when the ad is going to be displayed at, this way you will be able to enter a queue for the ads if you don't want to stay at the ad center, and adding /myad, which will display when is the queue entered ad going to be displayed.
||The queue advertisments might be separate from the normal ones, if we want to see an exact time, and there will be no problem in having from time to time 2 ads that are closer than 30 Seconds between them, as it wasn't that much of a problem when Gold Donators spammed 20 ads per run at each 30 seconds, it wasn't that bad.
|Add /lastads back, but to have a list of the last 20 Ads, and not just 3 Ads.
|Add /toggle ads, which will toggle the ads from appearing to your chat, and when doing /toggle ads, to be a notification about checking the /lastads if you want to see the ads you have missed.
|||This system is going to be ''WAY'' Lot better than it is the one that has just been put, which confuses a lot the players, just like it already did to me multiple times, trying to do a RP and getting calls from a [4SALE] Ad I placed 10 Minutes ago, so I have to cancell my live RP To sell the car to the guy.
A lot of hard work and thought went into this update and you're not even willing to give it a chance. Not only are you being ungrateful but extremely ignorant too.

hashtagelectro
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: Madrazo Frontino

Post by hashtagelectro » Mon May 22, 2017 1:50 pm

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of the update but it has been not done well, and definitely not being the best method of updating such a system. If you'd read my suggestion closely and think about it, you will realise it would be way better.
Spammers are not that much of a problem, people that can't post ads are, because of the spammers. We didn't need what we've got, we needed a solution to solve our problems and at the same time equivalent the system that was before.

Pichu
Certified Pillock
Certified Pillock

Post by Pichu » Mon May 22, 2017 2:10 pm

The old system was absolute cancer so no, it wouldn't be better. This system is both fair and simple to use. People just need to give it a chance and not be so quick to complain because they can't hog the advertisements anymore. Multiple times I remember waiting 20-30 minutes easily to get ads out at peak times.

The new system is dope! Mmartin has already suggested improvements would come in the future after the anniversary updates are complete. So don't jump the gun and give it time.

hashtagelectro
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: Madrazo Frontino

Post by hashtagelectro » Mon May 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Pichu wrote:The old system was absolute cancer so no, it wouldn't be better. This system is both fair and simple to use. People just need to give it a chance and not be so quick to complain because they can't hog the advertisements anymore. Multiple times I remember waiting 20-30 minutes easily to get ads out at peak times.

The new system is dope! Mmartin has already suggested improvements would come in the future after the anniversary updates are complete. So don't jump the gun and give it time.
Just read my idea, dude.

Davis
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Davis » Mon May 22, 2017 2:20 pm

hashtagelectro wrote:-
I appreciate the feedback, I'll try to address each one of your points individually so that you can better understand the thought process behind these improvements:
|You can't do any advertisments about your event that is going to happen right now, you have to stay in the queue for the ad.
If you're planning an event with 60s notice, that's probably poor execution on your side. I'm going to look at the numbers but as it stands, I haven't personally seen a situation where there's more than 15 advertisements in the queue at once, which if yours is at the bottom, it will take 15 minutes for it to air, if you don't have 15 minutes notice for the event that you're holding then the turnout is probably going to be poor anyway.
|You are not able to do /ads anywhere, thus you can't know when is your ad going to be displayed, nor there is any command to check your ad countdown.
/ads is tied to the advertisement business at the Mall because that's where you'd realistically (with how the system works currently) be able to see a list of queued advertisements. We're not completely against adding a command to find out how long until your advertisement airs though but it's just a discussion that is yet to happen.
|If there's a long queue, you are not able to do a proper RP, it is better to do an ad and to get the calls when you made it, however when there's a long queue, you get to wait a lot and you might even forget about the ad you placed, then you get calls randomly while you may have been involved in another RP Situation.
There's no reason that you're not able to do "proper RP" if your advertisement takes 15 minutes to go out, you can just handle it in character. Tell the person you're roleplaying with "One second, I need to take this call" and then arrange a meeting with the person interested in your advertisement at a suitable time for both of you. The script isn't going to hold your hand through roleplay.
|You can't cancell an ad.
We didn't add the ability to cancel at release because of technical constraints but it's not something that's out of the question for the future.
| You can't decide at what time your ad should be aired at, thus you get into awkward and confusefull situations.
Scheduling advertisements isn't as simple at it stands, let's say for example -- you schedule your advertisement 5 minutes from the current time but then there's 5 advertisements in the queue, you'd need to decide which one goes out first, the one in the queue or the scheduled one. This will need a lot more thought, time and effort put into it to implement rather than a one line suggestion.
|If you place an ad, you have to wait 1-2 Minutes to be able to place another one again, thus removing spam even if there's nobody else trying to do an ad, and this way someone that would want to place an ad would be able because you are in the countdown.
Sure, but that doesn't solve the problem that this system was made to avoid. If you have 10 people standing at the mall, each one spamming /ad, the 10th person is going to have to wait 10 minutes to get their advertisement aired and that's assuming that nobody else shows up during that time and is quicker than them. With this system, you guarantee that your advertisement is going to be aired.
|If you are a donator, you get to wait only 65 Seconds after placing an ad, thus still giving the possibility to others to place their ad.
Donators already have an edge over other players in the new system and can Silver & Gold Donators can have one and two more advertisements in the queue than Regular Players/Bronze Donators.
|Add /enter queue, and place your ad into a pop-up box, then to set a specific time when the ad is going to be displayed at, this way you will be able to enter a queue for the ads if you don't want to stay at the ad center, and adding /myad, which will display when is the queue entered ad going to be displayed.
I've addressed my concerns with scheduling advertisements above.
||The queue advertisments might be separate from the normal ones, if we want to see an exact time, and there will be no problem in having from time to time 2 ads that are closer than 30 Seconds between them, as it wasn't that much of a problem when Gold Donators spammed 20 ads per run at each 30 seconds, it wasn't that bad.
It's definitely an issue to see two advertisements at the same time in quick succession, they're spaced out to avoid spamming people's screen, if you have a scheduled advertisement and a /ad immediate advertisement going out at the same time, it's going to annoy a lot of people. One line of green text every 60s is definitely enough.
|Add /lastads back, but to have a list of the last 20 Ads, and not just 3 Ads.
If you read back a few pages, you'd see that I already have addressed this:
Davis wrote:
Chefboy wrote:Why did you get rid of /lastad? Seems like a step backwards.
In all honestly, this was completely unintended. It was an oversight from me and this functionality will return in tomorrow's or Monday's update. Sorry.
|Add /toggle ads, which will toggle the ads from appearing to your chat, and when doing /toggle ads, to be a notification about checking the /lastads if you want to see the ads you have missed.
Toggling advertisements isn't something that we want to do right now, we're trying to make sure that for business owners especially but also regular players, that their advertisement reaches the widest audience possible.
|||This system is going to be ''WAY'' Lot better than it is the one that has just been put, which confuses a lot the players, just like it already did to me multiple times, trying to do a RP and getting calls from a [4SALE] Ad I placed 10 Minutes ago, so I have to cancell my live RP To sell the car to the guy.
We'll have to agree to disagree that your system would be way better given the flaws that I've pointed out in the post and as for cancelling your live roleplay, you just need to handle that situation better as I mentioned above.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Lucius99
Spam Machine
Spam Machine
Ingame name: Lucas Hawken

Post by Lucius99 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:56 pm

This new ad system is very good, specially for the people that are not posting about a business, this allows their single ad to be posted and not have to use a keybinder and spam it, specially when sometimes using a keybinder it will break your computer.

However businesses will need to find a new effective way to advertise their companies since it isn't the most effective way for people to hear of their company, specially when they are opening.

Either they found a way to use SAN to advertise, or car signs else it might be worth making the donators get the ads to post instantly but they cannot post more then one every three minutes.

Gustavito
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Gustavito » Mon May 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Woahhhh that's lit!

Mikee
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Post by Mikee » Mon May 22, 2017 11:21 pm

It is really useful, well done Davis!

creepy lamb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by creepy lamb » Tue May 23, 2017 7:31 pm

good job

Wang
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia
Ingame name: Bill Schultz

Post by Wang » Tue May 23, 2017 8:14 pm

You tell them Daniel my son! Fantastico work!

axez
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by axez » Fri May 26, 2017 2:32 am

This is seriously something that has been missing for years. All those people around ad spot, all the retarded roleplay, all them /b rages due to donators spamming their shit. This was and is 100% needed, and the old /ad system should be scrapped and forever be forgotten!

alessiofromgenoa

Post by alessiofromgenoa » Sat May 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Well done.

haraldo1
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Rupert Hepburn

Post by haraldo1 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Finnaly! Now, /ad rage ends up.

flowers
AK47
AK47

Post by flowers » Sat May 27, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm really glad these small issues weren't ignored. Newly implemented SACF facility and Poker is nice, but I'd argue this trumps both. Good looking out.

Return to “Announcements”