The Business Update — Part I

Important information will be posted here, news and old global announcements.

Moderators: Lead Developers, Lead Admins

Burgoo
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Mr. X.

Re: The Business Update — Part I

Post by Burgoo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Balkan Beast wrote:Entrance fees should be removed altogether too. Businesses should need to rely on real sales not window shoppers.
Clubs could actually have doormen/women collecting funds. A lot of clubs in real life charge to get in and have CHEAP drinks (not free).

TheNamesJack
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Cartier

Post by TheNamesJack » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Thank you! :D
Cartier Jason
Acting Mayor of Los Santos

Surreal
Management

Post by Surreal » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:47 pm

Pichu wrote:Oh yeaaah! Got my thread up, will do an interior over the weekend. This is the best update to come to the server since house interiors, been wanting this for so long.

Quick question though, can business owners PLEASE go into their own business when it's out of stock? I wanted to make some minor adjustments but couldn't because of this.
I can flag this as a potential change. Makes no sense that you wouldn't be able to enter!
Balkan Beast wrote:As long as they have to match the exterior and don't get an entrance fee then it doesn't matter. Depending on if it offers something scripted like tobacco shops, 24/7's, and /eat's do then they have to stick to something relevant to that service when leasing. I had to give a detailed explanation when I started a smoke shop some years ago out of the Suburban about how my business worked with the script idea cause they didn't approve the app right away. Worked out but yeah, it'd clearly have some guidelines.

There's no excuse for not fitting the exterior with a business because you can move it anywhere you want unless you got garages you intend to keep.
This ties to the "business type" system. It's not just about the exterior of the business and the location. Some businesses are set as 24/7s, some are fast food, and so on. If you furnish, you have to match the nature of the business.

ezkNYNE
Spam Machine
Spam Machine
Ingame name: Brandon Mazzanti

Post by ezkNYNE » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Balkan Beast wrote:Entrance fees should be removed altogether too. Businesses should need to rely on real sales not window shoppers.
Agreed, absolutely. The entrance fee is a total cock block and most of the times, also, a very turn off. I'd say this is one of the things that also pulls people away from ever entering businesses that are not clubs.

Surreal
Management

Post by Surreal » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:41 pm

ezkNYNE wrote:
Agreed, absolutely. The entrance fee is a total cock block and most of the times, also, a very turn off. I'd say this is one of the things that also pulls people away from ever entering businesses that are not clubs.
Brings up the issue of how much is a sensible amount to ask, in-character, for drinks, etc etc? If you keep it realistic and ask for five or ten bucks, people often only pay that much. Some have a little common sense and chip in more. Entrance fee is a bridge between the two, in a way, and is a sure-fire way to generate cash for the owners. I don't find it very immersive to be told that I need to fork over three hundred bucks for a beer or something along those lines.

ezkNYNE
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by ezkNYNE » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Surreal wrote:Brings up the issue of how much is a sensible amount to ask, in-character, for drinks, etc etc? If you keep it realistic and ask for five or ten bucks, people often only pay that much. Some have a little common sense and chip in more. Entrance fee is a bridge between the two, in a way, and is a sure-fire way to generate cash for the owners. I don't find it very immersive to be told that I need to fork over three hundred bucks for a beer or something along those lines.
That's where the issue of LS:RP's very infamous economy happens though. People pay three digits for a gram of weed or crack, but they can't pay more than $100 for a drink. People can over more than $15,000 for a simple handgun, but not for a drink that costs $200.

Pichu
Certified Pillock
Certified Pillock

Post by Pichu » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:24 pm

ezkNYNE wrote:
Surreal wrote:Brings up the issue of how much is a sensible amount to ask, in-character, for drinks, etc etc? If you keep it realistic and ask for five or ten bucks, people often only pay that much. Some have a little common sense and chip in more. Entrance fee is a bridge between the two, in a way, and is a sure-fire way to generate cash for the owners. I don't find it very immersive to be told that I need to fork over three hundred bucks for a beer or something along those lines.
That's where the issue of LS:RP's very infamous economy happens though. People pay three digits for a gram of weed or crack, but they can't pay more than $100 for a drink. People can over more than $15,000 for a simple handgun, but not for a drink that costs $200.
That's a legit point, for scripted buyitems though it's a bit different. Business owners have an upfront cost to pay for the goods from truckers, making it enticing enough for them to go to you over the ship. Then of course you have to make a return on that, assuming you're an intelligent business owner.

This whole free drinks thing is purely player driven, because a couple did it and attracted more visitors everyone else followed suit - the same with guards wages, staff wages etc and now noone will budge because it's the norm. Sadly it's lead to needing administrative action.
Feel free to PM me for help
Community Page: Click Here

Current Characters:
Spoiler: show
Sheena Cadence Seizewell
Charlie Fearnestone

Surreal
Management

Post by Surreal » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:20 pm

ezkNYNE wrote:
I'd rather visitors pay an entrance fee and then be told they need to fork over a realistic amount for a drink, than request $300 for a beer or... have players suggest "fix the economy" as an alternative to not liking minor entrance fees.

keinanW
deadmau5 wannabe
deadmau5 wannabe
Ingame name: Keinan_Walker

Post by keinanW » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:49 pm

This is insane, can't thank you enough to bring these updates in. We're finally getting rid of the same old business interiors we've been seeing again and again for years. Can't wait to see what the current club and business owners do with the /furniture system, given that we've got some promising interior designers on this server.

Black Zeus
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Post by Black Zeus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:50 pm

viewtopic.php?f=283&t=234277 > "Order A Room!"

What happens to my ordered rooms (spent $500,000 for both) when I change the interior of my business?

Furthermore, thank you very much for this new update, development team! Having the ability to /furniture now is a blessing.

Balkan Beast
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Balkan Beast » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Surreal wrote:
ezkNYNE wrote:
I'd rather visitors pay an entrance fee and then be told they need to fork over a realistic amount for a drink, than request $300 for a beer or... have players suggest "fix the economy" as an alternative to not liking minor entrance fees.
You'd rather it but that's not realistic business and it leads to unrealistic stuff happening on the part of owners - the things that people have complained about.
Without relying on entrance fees and having to have at least some level of real business practices quality roleplay is created. Businesses would actually have to work for profit and find dependable employees rather than just sitting back while a script does it for them.
You have drinks costing $100s from my 24/7 type smoke shop so why say that? Cause a OOC script does it?You have the power to change the values to realistic amounts. I would rather see realistic businesses and no more raffles, free drinks, fake contests, and using the script to substitute for not actively running businesses.

And saying x10 on a price for a product isn't so insane. Most people do it for goods that are scripted. In fact if I recall the server stance on those number values was you need to go with LSRP prices. You can't say I got a eighth of loud for $50(If drug strength mattered or decimals...) then say in a pm "But it's this amount really, it's just so stupid saying $500.
Why are we letting the script substitute roleplay? If someone has a problem with an IC price that's their problem.
I can see why people have problems with an OOC price.

And I didn't even bother saying in detail how the current state of businesses causes a lack of competitiveness past immature /cad's.

If you put in minimal effort you're going to get exactly that. I don't see why changes are so scary.
It makes no sense to complain about how issues and then not bother fixing the root of the problem(s).
Last edited by Balkan Beast on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keinanW
deadmau5 wannabe
deadmau5 wannabe
Ingame name: Keinan_Walker

Post by keinanW » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Surreal wrote:
ezkNYNE wrote:
Brings up the issue of how much is a sensible amount to ask, in-character, for drinks, etc etc? If you keep it realistic and ask for five or ten bucks, people often only pay that much. Some have a little common sense and chip in more. Entrance fee is a bridge between the two, in a way, and is a sure-fire way to generate cash for the owners. I don't find it very immersive to be told that I need to fork over three hundred bucks for a beer or something along those lines.
What Surreal said, lol. Like why are some people here even arguing about removing entrance fees? The entry fees is what businesses rely on to make a bit of a profit. Where I live, clubs require you to purchase a membership that grants you 10-30 entrances a month depending on the level of membership you purchase. Charging people for entry and selling drinks is how clubs in real life make money, but LSRP's economy is far too different from the real world, so unfortunately clubs always have and always will depend on entrance fees to keep running. Removing it would be a complete fuck up, or in civil terms, extremely disastrous.

Surreal
Management

Post by Surreal » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:17 pm

Balkan Beast wrote:
Surreal wrote:
ezkNYNE wrote:That's where the issue of LS:RP's very infamous economy happens though. People pay three digits for a gram of weed or crack, but they can't pay more than $100 for a drink. People can over more than $15,000 for a simple handgun, but not for a drink that costs $200.
You'd rather it but that's not realistic business and it leads to unrealistic stuff happening on the part of owners - the things that people have complained about.
Without relying on entrance fees and having to have at least some level of real business practices quality roleplay is created. Businesses would actually have to work for profit and find dependable employees rather than just sitting back while a script does it for them.
You have drinks costing $100s from my 24/7 type smoke shop so why say that? Cause a OOC script does it?You have the power to change the values to realistic amounts. I would rather see realistic businesses and no more raffles, free drinks, fake contests, and using the script to substitute for not actively running businesses.

And saying x10 on a price for a product isn't so insane. Most people do it for goods that are scripted. In fact if I recall the server stance on those number values was you need to go with LSRP prices. You can't say I got a eighth of loud for $50(If drug strength mattered or decimals...) then say in a pm "But it's this amount really, it's just so stupid saying $500.
Why are we letting the script substitute roleplay? If someone has a problem with an IC price that's their problem.
I can see why people have problems with an OOC price.

And I didn't even bother saying in detail how the current state of businesses causes a lack of competitiveness past immature /cad's.

If you put in minimal effort you're going to get exactly that. I don't see why changes are so scary.
It makes no sense to complain about how issues and then not bother fixing the root of the problem(s).
I don't see why paying a nominal fee of a few hundred when you /enter is the "root of the problem" here.

jopp
Head of Side Jobs

Post by jopp » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:22 pm

I'm confused on why an entrance fee is an issue, it not only makes the owner of the business some cash but it also lets cash flow through the community, why should it be removed? It's giving an economical sink in the already fluctuated economy, I don't see an issue. In nightclubs (some) an entrance fee is required in real life, it's beyond me how it shouldn't be here.

ezkNYNE
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by ezkNYNE » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Here's my issue with entrance fee:
You want to hit a gym to have some good RP atmosphere around yourself, maybe meet someone who's working out too, and you get hit with the entrance fee that's dicking on your poor self. If you tell me that the owner of the gym wants a couple bucks off of me with a membership, that's absolutely damn fine. Paying up grand because you need to hit /enter? No, I just walked away and the Ganton Gym closed twenty minutes after for lack of interest.

Return to “Announcements”