Detective Job Revision — Release

Any important server news or announcements will be posted here.

Moderators: Lead Developers, Senior Lead Admins

otter
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Detective Job Revision — Release

Post by otter » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:36 pm

Detectives
- Release -

Today's the day!

At 16:00PM server-time, the newly revised detective script will be implemented on the main server. This is a fairly significant implementation as it is - not only giving a face-lift to a currently outdated script - but effects the role-play of people on both ends of the spectrum. Naturally, people will have their questions, doubts and concerns but I'm committed to ensuring that this implementation is given the care it requires to ensure that in the long run, everything runs smoothly. As with anything of this scale there are bound to be some issues that arise; testing this kind of feature doesn't account for how it well impacts the role-play surrounding investigations in the long term so there may well be minor revisions made in the future. With that said, I am open to feedback (in a constructive form) and am going to be looking at ways to ensure that this feature is sustainable and won't need another face-lift however long down the line.

Anyway! On to what this implementation is actually going to mean:
  • I had the detective job before! Will I still have it now?
    No. There's going to be a complete wipe of the job and anyone that currently has it, legal or illegal, will lose it.

OK, so I lost my job. Great. How can I get it back?
    Members of law enforcement factions who require the job for their role-play (detectives, investigators etc.) can request it from their faction's leadership. As it stands, players outside of law enforcement factions are not able to get the job again. But wait! Lower the pitchforks! In the coming days, I will be setting up a system through which players can apply for the job.

What!? Apply for the job? Why?
    Arguably the most significant change to come around with this revamp is going to be the way in which a player can obtain the job. Law enforcement faction leaders will be able to issue the job to their faction members, but anyone outside of law enforcement factions will have to apply for it on the forums. The idea behind this is to promote more realistic investigative role-play outside of law enforcement factions. The job is far more prestigious than it was before and having it available to absolutely everyone would definitely have a negative impact the role-play quality surrounding it. There's plenty of potential for this job to be a really valuable asset to right type of role-play and my hopes are that by making it less common around the server and giving it to the right people, there will be a lot more room for those who want to venture into investigative role-play to do so.

I found a bug!
    Whilst the script is in this phase of introduction, please be patient. Regardless of how much testing is done, bugs are always bound to arise when a script of this scale is put into practice. They are not the end of the world and I'm going to be addressing any issues in a timely manner.

You can report a bug here:
    viewforum.php?f=509

I want to know more!
    More information on the script can be found in its feature documentation:
    viewtopic.php?f=283&t=544638
Bare in mind that - as I've already said - several things may be subject to change in response to feedback from the community. However, just because you don't necessarily agree with something, that doesn't mean it will be changed. It's not possible to make everybody happy but I fully intend on giving it my best shot. If you have any more questions surrounding this implementation, don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy!

damaz
God of Spammers
God of Spammers

Re: Detective Job Revision — Release

Post by damaz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Cool!

Twisted Ass Gangster
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Twisted Ass Gangster » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:07 pm

What if someone applies and gets it then namechanges?
"Save yourself, kill them all."

ethan.hickman
Gangster
Gangster

Post by ethan.hickman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:08 pm

It's simply unfair to take one's job who played hundreds of hours to obtain a certain level in the detective career.

Mmartin
Head of Development
Head of Development
Ingame name: Lucas Foreman

Post by Mmartin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:13 pm

ethan.hickman wrote:It's simply unfair to take one's job who played hundreds of hours to obtain a certain level in the detective career.
If it means that much to you, applying to get it again shouldn't be an issue.

Anyways, I'm excited!

HypnoSe
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by HypnoSe » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:14 pm

Good job.
former admin2, fm
Zoki Krajinovic

Breadmane
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Breadmane » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:15 pm

ethan.hickman wrote:It's simply unfair to take one's job who played hundreds of hours to obtain a certain level in the detective career.
It's really not unfair. If you need the job that bad, join the LSPD or wait until the application procedure begins.

Stefan.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stefan. » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Doesn't the implementation of the other player's consent create a window for metagame? (e.g the player will avoid saying things that may incriminate them due to OOCly knowing that they have the device on them)

George
Mafia
Mafia

Post by George » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Praise the Lord, I've been waiting for this day.
Pay me

Fallcon
Mafia
Mafia

Post by Fallcon » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Cool.
Mmartin wrote:
If it means that much to you, applying to get it again shouldn't be an issue.

Anyways, I'm excited!
I hope that there isn't rediculous requirements on being a god-send ICly to get it. Apart from no criminal record.
Stefan Castillo wrote:Doesn't the implementation of the other player's consent create a window for metagame? (e.g the player will avoid saying things that may incriminate them due to OOCly knowing that they have the device on them)
Yes. Sadly.

St3fan[NL]
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Matthew Dawson

Post by St3fan[NL] » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:26 pm

Cant wait ;) good work Otter
───────────────────────────────────
────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Contact Me
My Youtube Channel
About Me (thread)
Private Message
Discord: St3fan[NL]#3861

RomeoEyes
Game Administrator
Ingame name: Snow

Post by RomeoEyes » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:26 pm

Great work, can't wait to try this.

oxy cotton
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by oxy cotton » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:27 pm

Good job on this.

Ferocious
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Ferocious » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:28 pm

good shit
Always wanted to "put in work" or "get it in", well welcome to Fruit Town where you get the "real g" experience. For only $19.95 per hour, you too can claim Fruit Town Piru. We offer selfies with "da homies", safe deal transactions where you can say you were actually "slinging ye". We also offer a life time hood pass. Call now while this offer still stands @ 1-800-bompton.

Disclaimer: your experience may vary from celebrities such as Soulja Boy. Text service rates may apply.

barneymk
BMW

Post by barneymk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Fire! It was worth the wait.

Return to “Announcements”