PD/SD using TS

Ste
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

PD/SD using TS

Post by Ste » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:32 pm

This isn't a thread to thrash PD and it isn't me taking a dig at any of the law enforcement at all. I'm sure admins will be straight onto anyone who is here just to rip into them.

I just want to see everyone's opinion on this. I want to see the good and bad points people have to offer. What I dislike about it really is the fact they can use TS to call for back-up without no roleplay taking place at all. Being surrounded by a group of people they're able to call it in using TS and this can't be prevented by players as they can't hear it. In my opinion that's just unfair.

Yet, I understand it's needed in pursuits. I mean, if they didn't have it they'd be fucked. Communicating at times as well, I guess. Then I guess it's needed for chasing a suspect on foot.

I just want someone to give me their thoughts on it. Try and help me see the good side to using TS to call in back-up. In my opinion, and this isn't a thrash at 'em, I can't see the good side to calling back-up with it.

UK's Finest

ESETENDO
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Re: PD/SD using TS

Post by ESETENDO » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:34 pm

It would be really hard to call a backup and constantly refreshing his position.
But yeah, I do understand your thinking of RP on TS.

Btw, w'dup tre :P
Torcida Split 1950

Burgoo
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Ingame name: Mr. X.

Post by Burgoo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:39 pm

A lot of people may call me biased having seen my blue name and knowing I role-play in the PD, but I can honestly say it's needed. The PD and SD have strict protocols against the OOC use and misuse of TeamSpeak. This means that members of each faction are there to ensure other members are using it correctly let alone having members of the administration team in each faction to do so. It has always been questioned how someone manages to use their "radio" if they are surrounded. If you feel someone is metagaming, feel free to report them and such. Having said that, there hasn't been many times (since November 2012) when people use TeamSpeak when surrounded or anything like that.

.Jack
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by .Jack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 am

Burgoo here pretty much summed it up. There's protocols in place and people (primarily supervisors) try their best to keep everything strictly in-character after a situation has come to the point where it's generally stupid to use teamspeak for it. People have been ajailed/removed from PD before for misusing it.

Johnny Strummer
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Post by Johnny Strummer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:09 am

It's just a part of their roleplay. Sometimes it isn't fair but they just need it to organise themselves, and for better and more realistic roleplay.

.mikey
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by .mikey » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:10 am

I do think it's mandatory but being someone who was in both SD and PD.. I can say that it is misused but there's always the bad eggs in factions.

Lacroix
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Lacroix » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:11 am

It's needed, and I hate it. Only PD really enforces anything concrete in regards to TeamSpeak usage, sadly. I think it's the #1 tool to destroying roleplay, no matter what you're role-playing. Too inviting.

Despite, most usage is pretty legitimate and it's rare to see somebody outright 'powergame' with TeamSpeak. Majority of it is just misuse. I'm tired of officers talking over TeamSpeak just for leisure's sake, instead of conducting their work and communication in-game and through role-play when opportunity affords.
shame on us,
doomed from the start.
May god have mercy,
on our dirty little hearts

Koehler
God of Spammers
God of Spammers

Post by Koehler » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:12 am

It's impossible for them indeed to update in a pursuit without TS. Before joining SD a long time ago, I thought that they MG every single thing on TS, but I convinced myself the opposite. They actually use it properly.
AN

Alonzo.
Spam Machine
Spam Machine

Post by Alonzo. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:20 am

Not impossible if every patrol would have a partner and the law enforcement to have a good radio system scripted. Overall I think the TS usage brings a big advantage and if criminals can go in a pursuit and use the IG radio to update, police can too. Just needs a proper radio system for them to use.

Ste
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Ste » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:30 am

I understand the pursuit. It'd be literally impossible to do so without the use of TS. Although a partner could be used for this.

To my understanding though, using TS to call for back-up isn't against any rules. I've actually not too long ago seen an admin use it. Now fair do's but it really does take the concept out. I've seen twice, naming no names, an officer call for back-up when they're in distress through TS. I'll give it to them, it probably could have been done IC using /r but there would've been consequences. These consequences can't happen if the opposite party couldn't hear it. I don't know... I understand the pursuit, that's a major factor. Just some parts of it do give them an unfair advantage.

UK's Finest

Omer
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Omer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 am

Verbal communication is a mandatory in such fast response situations.

Jakey
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Tommy The Tank

Post by Jakey » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:13 am

If you've got any PD/SD surrounded and they call for back up using teamspeak without doing any roleplay regarding it, it's power gaming. If there's two people to a unit in the PD the partner is supposed to handle the radio via /r due to them not driving, All team speak should be used for is updating in pursuits and calling for backup if you can't type it fast enough.
Happy Holidays

Falva
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Falva » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:23 am

In the Los Santos Police Department and San Andreas Sheriff's Department, Teamspeak is only used when text is not accessible. If you encounter an officer using Teamspeak when surrounded or when it's accessible to easily use his issued in-game radio or chat, then gladly report him and it will be dealt with. They need Teamspeak for things sch as pursuits and coordination and that's it. Other than that, I'd say PD and SD are pretty responsible with their radios. A lot of people bitch about metagame, but when you're actually in SD and PD, you'll understand how they work and how they don't metagame. Overall, they're very reasonable. And yes, there is a bad bunch but those are dealt with easily and those are the ones that you must report.
Analyst.

Young
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Ingame name: Mark_Young

Post by Young » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:34 am

Ste wrote:I understand the pursuit. It'd be literally impossible to do so without the use of TS. Although a partner could be used for this.

To my understanding though, using TS to call for back-up isn't against any rules. I've actually not too long ago seen an admin use it. Now fair do's but it really does take the concept out. I've seen twice, naming no names, an officer call for back-up when they're in distress through TS. I'll give it to them, it probably could have been done IC using /r but there would've been consequences. These consequences can't happen if the opposite party couldn't hear it. I don't know... I understand the pursuit, that's a major factor. Just some parts of it do give them an unfair advantage.

There are regulations set in place within the PD, as to what should be called in over TS3 and what can be called in using the IG radio. Supervisors manage TS3 communication channels to ensure that they are not misused. As others said in this topic, if you feel that an officer is abusing Teamspeak (powergaming/metagaming in essence), you may report them on the forums and to their respective faction's leadership.

This has been discussed here before and this thread won't be kept open.

Return to “Archive”