[Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Find all the Laws and Acts of San Andreas in this forum.

Also contains the full Penal Code to list all crimes and punishments.

Moderator: Senior Lead Admins

MoralesLSRP
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by MoralesLSRP » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:52 pm

NotharCZ wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:07 pm
I would like to see a charge for a failure to call 911/help somebody.

In some countries, there exists a legal requirement for citizens to assist people in distress, unless doing so would put themselves or others in harm's way. Citizens are often required to, at minimum, call the local emergency number, unless doing so would be harmful, in which case the authorities should be contacted when the harmful situation has been removed.

This can mean that anyone who finds someone in need of medical help must take all reasonable steps to seek medical care and render best-effort first aid. Commonly, the situation arises on an event of a traffic accident: other drivers and passers-by must take an action to help the injured without regard to possible personal reasons not to help (e.g. having no time, being in a hurry) or ascertain that help has been requested from officials
Unfortunately this really would not work in LSRP, and in a lot of US areas, there is no established duty for random citizens to help like that.
Retired Faction Leader (Chief Justice) of the Courts of San Andreas / Retired Tester / Retired Government Management (Faction Management)
Current Characters: Alice Evans (Retired Chief Justice) | | Alexis Addison (Private Attorney)

Fly high, Pitch. We love you.

NotharCZ
Mafia
Mafia
Ingame name: A Kutuzov

Post by NotharCZ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:31 pm

In most countries there is, in my too.

DEPUTY SHERIFF (BONUS II) ARTYOM KUTUZOV
RETIRED POLICE OFFICER III MATTHEW BAKER
RETIRED POLICE DETECTIVE LUKAS STREET

Flemwad
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Flemwad » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:04 pm

"The Good Samaritan laws have been outlawed in most states because they created scenarios where people felt duty bound to assist and they either made the scenario worse or they faced law suits themselves for simply trying to help."

Ward
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Ward » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:17 am

I don't know about mandating people perform the help themselves but maybe a law like failure to summon assistance when they are present when a crime was committed against another person and can reasonably summon emergency services without danger to themselves.

Could also make it dual purpose and give it a provision that charges people who prevent people from calling 911.

Nick.
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Nick. » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:16 pm

NotharCZ wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:07 pm
I would like to see a charge for a failure to call 911/help somebody.

In some countries, there exists a legal requirement for citizens to assist people in distress, unless doing so would put themselves or others in harm's way. Citizens are often required to, at minimum, call the local emergency number, unless doing so would be harmful, in which case the authorities should be contacted when the harmful situation has been removed.

This can mean that anyone who finds someone in need of medical help must take all reasonable steps to seek medical care and render best-effort first aid. Commonly, the situation arises on an event of a traffic accident: other drivers and passers-by must take an action to help the injured without regard to possible personal reasons not to help (e.g. having no time, being in a hurry) or ascertain that help has been requested from officials
To my knowledge this isn't a thing in the USA. This law exists in France, I am aware of that. I don't really see how this would be applicable in an American setting.
لا شكر على واجب

ClickClickBang
Civilian
Civilian

Post by ClickClickBang » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:33 am

The wrong place, but I don't know where to put it. The list of accepted cases is no longer available and needs reupdating.

Adorn.
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Adorn. » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Read through the Penal code + MHA. Haven't located anything saying a person who cannot care for themselves or are a harm to themselves or others can be lawfully apprehended by LE.

How can this be resolved? LSFD has a psychology unit or whatever but for some reason whenever I need them there never around. How can a suicidal person who has been apprehended​ be lodged? How can a person with a mental illness that hasn't violated any law but is clearly distressed be lodged?

Flemwad
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Flemwad » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:00 am

Adorn. wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:24 pm
Read through the Penal code + MHA. Haven't located anything saying a person who cannot care for themselves or are a harm to themselves or others can be lawfully apprehended by LE.

How can this be resolved? LSFD has a psychology unit or whatever but for some reason whenever I need them there never around. How can a suicidal person who has been apprehended​ be lodged? How can a person with a mental illness that hasn't violated any law but is clearly distressed be lodged?
Appeal to the Senate (whenever it starts up). Not everything is perfect and there's a lot of open land that needs to be built up.

MoralesLSRP
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by MoralesLSRP » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:08 am

Adorn. wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:24 pm

The MHA allows for you to obtain a Judge's authorization to house said individual and it doesn't necessarily require a hearing. (Courts = Judge)
Section 3. Correlation between the Psychology Unit & the Courts

The Courts may issue an order compelling an individual to undergo mandatory psychological evaluation(s) if it is believed that the individual is unable to live amongst society, may suffer from an undiagnosed mental illness and or may represent potential harm to themselves or other individuals within society.
If deemed unfit for society by the Courts, in agreement with a psychological evaluation completed by the Fire Department, the patient may be ordered into psychological care of the Fire Department. While in psychological care, the patient shall be housed within the Crisis Center of the Fire Department, where they shall be monitored by Psychology Department Command and or High Command for a specific period of time that must be specified by the Courts.
An individual patient may be released from psychological care upon an evaluation by the Lead Psychologist that deems them fit to rejoin society.
All patients entered into psychological care shall be treated with respect and dignity, to the extent that their condition allows for, and shall not be deprived of basic rights and liberties while in the care of the Fire Department.
If an individual patient, by or through themselves or a designated spouse, partner, friend or other dependent, disagrees with a mental health evaluation ordering them into psychological care, they have the right petition the Courts to review the initial evaluation, who may order the patient’s conditional or unconditional release.
The Courts may order a patient’s conditional or unconditional release from psychological care.
viewtopic.php?f=1247&t=624791

So, this would be an example where you could contact a Judge.
Retired Faction Leader (Chief Justice) of the Courts of San Andreas / Retired Tester / Retired Government Management (Faction Management)
Current Characters: Alice Evans (Retired Chief Justice) | | Alexis Addison (Private Attorney)

Adorn.
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Adorn. » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Kinda skimmed through it. So basically I would have to go to a judge and have them issue an order for the person to be housed at the Crisis Center? Is time on my side in that situation? Would the person have to be released back into the public then have a warrant issued out for them? Sorry, #confused.

MoralesLSRP
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by MoralesLSRP » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Adorn. wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:21 pm
Kinda skimmed through it. So basically I would have to go to a judge and have them issue an order for the person to be housed at the Crisis Center? Is time on my side in that situation? Would the person have to be released back into the public then have a warrant issued out for them? Sorry, #confused.
The judge could order the person committed to the Crisis Center until approved for release by Psych. Let's say you have a guy detained for suicidal stuff, you could contact a judge who could issue an emergency order to commit them to the Crisis Center (or other suitable location) until they are evaluated by LSFD. Once the court order is in place, the person will be restricted to that area enforceable by law enforcement personnel. If that is not viable at the time for some reason, the judge could create alternative orders.

Adorn.
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Adorn. » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:07 pm

MoralesLSRP wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 pm
Adorn. wrote:
The judge could order the person committed to the Crisis Center until approved for release by Psych. Let's say you have a guy detained for suicidal stuff, you could contact a judge who could issue an emergency order to commit them to the Crisis Center (or other suitable location) until they are evaluated by LSFD. Once the court order is in place, the person will be restricted to that area enforceable by law enforcement personnel. If that is not viable at the time for some reason, the judge could create alternative orders.

Great! Thanks, Morales.

There's no script tools for this enforcement, right? (IE. /jail). And I presume it should be noted on the person's record of their apprehension?

MoralesLSRP
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by MoralesLSRP » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Adorn. wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:07 pm
MoralesLSRP wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 pm
Adorn. wrote:

Great! Thanks, Morales.

There's no script tools for this enforcement, right? (IE. /jail). And I presume it should be noted on the person's record of their apprehension?
It could be noted on the record for purposes of enforcement, but it would be clearly stated that it is NOT a criminal violation and should not be treated as such.

The only script way for enforcing them in the Crisis Center is for LSFD to be able to lock the doors. If no LSFD are available, then alternative arrangements could probably be made depending on the situation.

The order would probably say something along the lines of "If the person elopes from the area to which they are committed, law enforcement may apprehend them and return them to the location."

Adorn.
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Adorn. » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:29 pm

Got it. Thanks a ton!

Mash
Gangster
Gangster
Ingame name: Haku Kalani

Post by Mash » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:11 pm

(4)17. Misuse Of A Government Hotline ↑
  • A person who uses an emergency government hotline for any purpose other than an emergency situation which involves a life-or-death request for assistance or other purposes dictated by the hotline managers.
  • A person who uses any non-emergency or public hotline for purposes irrelevant to that particular government office, department, or agency.
  • A person who performs prank calls, fake calls, or tries to incite mayhem through public government lines
- Penal Code (4)17 is an infraction of $1,500.
- Upon the third offense Penal Code (4)17 is a misdemeanor punishable by no less 25 minutes imprisonment and no more than 50 minutes imprisonment. This falls under Officer Discretion.
People whom prank the police face to face, is it justified to cite them for misuse of a government hotline?

I'd believe it needs to be added, or amended, that people will be fined for pranking the authorities regardless how it is reported.

Return to “Laws & Acts of San Andreas”