[Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Find all the Laws and Acts of San Andreas in this forum.

Also contains the full Penal Code to list all crimes and punishments.

Moderator: Senior Lead Admins

Calvano
Mafia
Mafia

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by Calvano » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:49 am

Zuthrex wrote:a just explanation
Thanks for the explanation. Although I hope you don't talk to everyone like that, talking down to people is a real bad mindset to get into.

No Tips Crew™

Keane.
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Post by Keane. » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Unfortunately, random people are beginning to tow police vehicles around. Despite how unrealistic it is, we've had to deal with it in-character recently. I'll just need to clarify what charges can be issued if any. I'll give a few example situations.

John and Jane Doe are driving up Main Street with a marked car hooked to the back of their tow truck. The department that owns the marked car did not give consent for them to tow it. They use their right to remain silent and don't provide a reason for towing the vehicle. What would be the correct charges, if any?

John and Jane Doe strike again, but this time decide to tow abandoned LSPD cars to the parking lot of the SMB station. Upon being detained, they say that they have towed five cruisers back to the station because they were abandoned. How could they be charged in this situation?

Bospy
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Post by Bospy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Keane. wrote:Unfortunately, random people are beginning to tow police vehicles around. Despite how unrealistic it is, we've had to deal with it in-character recently. I'll just need to clarify what charges can be issued if any. I'll give a few example situations.

John and Jane Doe are driving up Main Street with a marked car hooked to the back of their tow truck. The department that owns the marked car did not give consent for them to tow it. They use their right to remain silent and don't provide a reason for towing the vehicle. What would be the correct charges, if any?

John and Jane Doe strike again, but this time decide to tow abandoned LSPD cars to the parking lot of the SMB station. Upon being detained, they say that they have towed five cruisers back to the station because they were abandoned. How could they be charged in this situation?

Impersonation of a government employee due to the following clause:
A person who pretends or implies the role of a government worker, such as a peace officer, paramedic, tax collector, federal investigator, or other official.

In this case, by towing a vehicle that is government property without being a registered impounder they are implying that they are a government agent. This is, however, an interesting scenario open to interpretation. It's too simple to be grand theft auto.
I don't mind if you send me a PM for an outstanding ban appeal if I haven't answered within 48 hours.

RETIRED CHIEF OF POLICE BAUDELIO HUERTA
Los Santos Police Department — "To Protect and to Serve"

Jerry_Sforza
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Jerry_Sforza » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31 pm

Zuthrex wrote:The law says verification, which does not require physical handling of the documents. There is no penal code entry that exists for a person failing to give their license, provided they possess one, to a law enforcement officer, and it would be reckless for a judge like yourself to do anything other than literally interpret what the law actually says.
The Penal Code wrote:(11)15. Driving without a Valid License
  1. A person operating a motor vehicle without carrying a valid driver's license.
  2. A person who refuses to show or provide a driver's license to a peace officer while operating a motor vehicle.
  3. A person operating a motor vehicle without a valid, unexpired permit or license.
- Road Law (11)15 is a misdemeanor punishable by no less than 15 minutes jail time and no more than 25 minutes jail time
- The peace officer may also issue a warning or fine up to $4,000 instead at their discretion.
(emphasis mine)
Bospy wrote:In this case, by towing a vehicle that is government property without being a registered impounder they are implying that they are a government agent. This is, however, an interesting scenario open to interpretation. It's too simple to be grand theft auto.
I disagree. Carrying out an act that is the responsibility of a government employee does not necessarily mean the person is falsely personating him or herself to be that type of employee, for example, if you put out a fire it does not mean you are impersonating a firefighter. The act itself is that the person is taking the property (a car) that they do not own without the consent of the owner, therefore, they are committing grand theft auto.

FiendFyre
God of Spammers
God of Spammers

Post by FiendFyre » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Keane. wrote:Unfortunately, random people are beginning to tow police vehicles around. Despite how unrealistic it is, we've had to deal with it in-character recently. I'll just need to clarify what charges can be issued if any. I'll give a few example situations.

Scenario two would be a bit silly to charge them if you can prove they returned the vehicles back where they go.

alexandra.

Post by alexandra. » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Bospy wrote:

A person who pretends or implies the role of a government worker, such as a peace officer, paramedic, tax collector, federal investigator, or other official.

In this case, by towing a vehicle that is government property without being a registered impounder they are implying that they are a government agent. This is, however, an interesting scenario open to interpretation. It's too simple to be grand theft auto.
I'd be inclined to lean toward Grand Theft Auto since they're committing Grand Theft of a vehicle. Towing a vehicle does not imply government employment.

FiendFyre
God of Spammers
God of Spammers

Post by FiendFyre » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Bospy wrote:

Except they're not impounding it, they're towing it. So it's not really saying they're an impounder if they're just removing it from being parked and abandoned somewhere. Personally if they're just taking it to a precinct as I said before, I'd leave it. But if they're obviously toying around with it, charge them.

Marco_Maverick
Civilian
Civilian

Post by Marco_Maverick » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:58 am

Would not paying the fee to the toll booth count as Tax Evasion?
(13)02. Tax Evasion*** ↑
A person, officer, or employee of an organization that fails to pay any appropriate fees or taxes liened against themselves or an agency they are an executive to.
A person who intentionally avoids or attempts to avoid tax or fee payments to the state.
This does not apply for fees that would fall under (4)02. Failure To Pay A Fine.
This charge may only be authorized by the Attorney General or a warrant by the Chief Justice.
- Penal Code (2)14 is a felony punishable by 120 minutes (2 hours) imprisonment and appropriation of all due taxes
For example:
Person A pays for the toll booth at the LS-LV highway to open. The toll remains open and is in the process of closing but Person B zooms past before it fully closes without paying the toll guard.

ImperiumXVII
Assistant Head of Legal Factions
Ingame name: Zachary_Cook

Post by ImperiumXVII » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Marco_Maverick wrote:For example:
Person A pays for the toll booth at the LS-LV highway to open. The toll remains open and is in the process of closing but Person B zooms past before it fully closes without paying the toll guard.
In this situation I'd have to argue that the toll is $50 to open the booth for 6 seconds, not $50 per vehicle that passes. So basically, that $50 is paid by person A to open the toll for 6 seconds - it's fair game once it's open.

Even then, if it's $50 for one vehicle to pass, I could see how it could be argued to be Tax Evasion, but currently it's very, very unlikely that anybody could be prosecuted for it, unless they specifically roleplayed years of toll tax evasion that amounted to a high amount of money. Nobody is going to care about $50, especially not in the current economic climate.
Police Deputy Chief David Zhuo
Police Captain II Joseph McRae
Police Lieutenant I Clarke Walker
Reserve Firefighter Danielle Garceau
Associate Justice Eric Cradle
State Bar Chairman Raphael Pachlinski
Developer
Junior Administrator
Assistant Head of Legal Factions

MoralesLSRP
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by MoralesLSRP » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:27 am

Arkady Krushenko wrote:
Marco_Maverick wrote:For example:
In this situation I'd have to argue that the toll is $50 to open the booth for 6 seconds, not $50 per vehicle that passes. So basically, that $50 is paid by person A to open the toll for 6 seconds - it's fair game once it's open.

Even then, if it's $50 for one vehicle to pass, I could see how it could be argued to be Tax Evasion, but currently it's very, very unlikely that anybody could be prosecuted for it, unless they specifically roleplayed years of toll tax evasion that amounted to a high amount of money. Nobody is going to care about $50, especially not in the current economic climate.
Should probably just get it clarified in written law that it is $50 to open the toll for six seconds rather than $50 per vehicle. This isn't the first time I've seen people ask about this. I'd recommend just adding a side note to tax evasion's description clarifying it.
Retired Faction Leader (Chief Justice) of the Courts of San Andreas / Retired Tester / Retired Government Management (Faction Management)
Current Characters: Alice Evans (Retired Chief Justice) | | Alexis Addison (Private Attorney)

Fly high, Pitch. We love you.

tagtag
The Procurer
The Procurer

Post by tagtag » Tue May 02, 2017 12:41 am

LEOs should not leave their cars lying around in middle of the street either.
Towing a car you do not have permission to tow should be GTA. Personally I think it's okay if they're towing it a few feet to park it properly on the sidewalk or such if it is clearly in the way. Towing it further would definitely be wrong, because a cop on a foot pursuit might be on his way back to it and find himself stranded. Even when clearly abandoned, there should be infrastructure in place and unrelated civilians should not be touching those cars.
That said, stop leaving your vehicles lying around

White.
Gangster
Gangster

Post by White. » Sun May 07, 2017 8:19 pm

How i can suggest new penal code?

danielswe
LS-RP Tester
LS-RP Tester

Post by danielswe » Mon May 08, 2017 7:26 pm

White. wrote:How i can suggest new penal code?
They will make a topic for suggestions. But since the 2016 version was delayed several months, then I don't think the suggestions topic will be made anytime soon.

Ward
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don

Post by Ward » Mon May 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Or you could approach it from an IC position and propose a bill to the legistlature. Probably would be implemented a lot sooner than the annual OOC update.

White.
Gangster
Gangster

Post by White. » Tue May 09, 2017 12:39 pm

Thank you for your answer.

Return to “Laws & Acts of San Andreas”