[Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Find all the Laws and Acts of San Andreas in this forum. Also contains the full Penal Code to list all crimes and punishments.
Post Reply
User avatar
Calvano
Mafia
Mafia
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:57 am

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by Calvano » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:49 am

Zuthrex wrote:a just explanation
Thanks for the explanation. Although I hope you don't talk to everyone like that, talking down to people is a real bad mindset to get into.

Image
No Tips Crew™

Keane.
Gangster
Gangster
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:05 pm
Ingame name: Natalie Beaumont

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by Keane. » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Unfortunately, random people are beginning to tow police vehicles around. Despite how unrealistic it is, we've had to deal with it in-character recently. I'll just need to clarify what charges can be issued if any. I'll give a few example situations.

John and Jane Doe are driving up Main Street with a marked car hooked to the back of their tow truck. The department that owns the marked car did not give consent for them to tow it. They use their right to remain silent and don't provide a reason for towing the vehicle. What would be the correct charges, if any?

John and Jane Doe strike again, but this time decide to tow abandoned LSPD cars to the parking lot of the SMB station. Upon being detained, they say that they have towed five cruisers back to the station because they were abandoned. How could they be charged in this situation?

User avatar
Bospy
Game Admin
Game Admin
Posts: 2121
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:23 am

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by Bospy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Keane. wrote:Unfortunately, random people are beginning to tow police vehicles around. Despite how unrealistic it is, we've had to deal with it in-character recently. I'll just need to clarify what charges can be issued if any. I'll give a few example situations.

John and Jane Doe are driving up Main Street with a marked car hooked to the back of their tow truck. The department that owns the marked car did not give consent for them to tow it. They use their right to remain silent and don't provide a reason for towing the vehicle. What would be the correct charges, if any?

John and Jane Doe strike again, but this time decide to tow abandoned LSPD cars to the parking lot of the SMB station. Upon being detained, they say that they have towed five cruisers back to the station because they were abandoned. How could they be charged in this situation?

Impersonation of a government employee due to the following clause:
A person who pretends or implies the role of a government worker, such as a peace officer, paramedic, tax collector, federal investigator, or other official.

In this case, by towing a vehicle that is government property without being a registered impounder they are implying that they are a government agent. This is, however, an interesting scenario open to interpretation. It's too simple to be grand theft auto.
LIEUTENANT II YANCY GARNETT, JAMES STRAUB FROM THE VALLEY
114


On partial absence due to real life obligations and organ issues.

I do not mind if you PM me to inform me of an outstanding ban appeal I haven't replied to!

User avatar
Jerry_Sforza
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:01 am

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by Jerry_Sforza » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31 pm

Zuthrex wrote:The law says verification, which does not require physical handling of the documents. There is no penal code entry that exists for a person failing to give their license, provided they possess one, to a law enforcement officer, and it would be reckless for a judge like yourself to do anything other than literally interpret what the law actually says.
The Penal Code wrote:(11)15. Driving without a Valid License
  1. A person operating a motor vehicle without carrying a valid driver's license.
  2. A person who refuses to show or provide a driver's license to a peace officer while operating a motor vehicle.
  3. A person operating a motor vehicle without a valid, unexpired permit or license.
- Road Law (11)15 is a misdemeanor punishable by no less than 15 minutes jail time and no more than 25 minutes jail time
- The peace officer may also issue a warning or fine up to $4,000 instead at their discretion.
(emphasis mine)
Bospy wrote:In this case, by towing a vehicle that is government property without being a registered impounder they are implying that they are a government agent. This is, however, an interesting scenario open to interpretation. It's too simple to be grand theft auto.
I disagree. Carrying out an act that is the responsibility of a government employee does not necessarily mean the person is falsely personating him or herself to be that type of employee, for example, if you put out a fire it does not mean you are impersonating a firefighter. The act itself is that the person is taking the property (a car) that they do not own without the consent of the owner, therefore, they are committing grand theft auto.

User avatar
Marauder
Game Administrator
Posts: 7722
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:29 am

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by Marauder » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Keane. wrote:Unfortunately, random people are beginning to tow police vehicles around. Despite how unrealistic it is, we've had to deal with it in-character recently. I'll just need to clarify what charges can be issued if any. I'll give a few example situations.

John and Jane Doe are driving up Main Street with a marked car hooked to the back of their tow truck. The department that owns the marked car did not give consent for them to tow it. They use their right to remain silent and don't provide a reason for towing the vehicle. What would be the correct charges, if any?

John and Jane Doe strike again, but this time decide to tow abandoned LSPD cars to the parking lot of the SMB station. Upon being detained, they say that they have towed five cruisers back to the station because they were abandoned. How could they be charged in this situation?
Scenario two would be a bit silly to charge them if you can prove they returned the vehicles back where they go.
Marauder Event Team Assistant
Head of Media/News Team Level 1 Admin
Faction Management • State Assembly
Marissa Hazeldine
#SometimesI'mAlsoALawyer

User avatar
Zuthrex
Special Snowflake
Special Snowflake
Posts: 5432
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:57 pm
Ingame name: Alexa_Fitz

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by Zuthrex » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Bospy wrote:
Keane. wrote:Unfortunately, random people are beginning to tow police vehicles around. Despite how unrealistic it is, we've had to deal with it in-character recently. I'll just need to clarify what charges can be issued if any. I'll give a few example situations.

John and Jane Doe are driving up Main Street with a marked car hooked to the back of their tow truck. The department that owns the marked car did not give consent for them to tow it. They use their right to remain silent and don't provide a reason for towing the vehicle. What would be the correct charges, if any?

John and Jane Doe strike again, but this time decide to tow abandoned LSPD cars to the parking lot of the SMB station. Upon being detained, they say that they have towed five cruisers back to the station because they were abandoned. How could they be charged in this situation?

Impersonation of a government employee due to the following clause:
A person who pretends or implies the role of a government worker, such as a peace officer, paramedic, tax collector, federal investigator, or other official.

In this case, by towing a vehicle that is government property without being a registered impounder they are implying that they are a government agent. This is, however, an interesting scenario open to interpretation. It's too simple to be grand theft auto.
I'd be inclined to lean toward Grand Theft Auto since they're committing Grand Theft of a vehicle. Towing a vehicle does not imply government employment.
little miss
poker champ
👉👌👅🍆

User avatar
Marauder
Game Administrator
Posts: 7722
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:29 am

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by Marauder » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Bospy wrote:
Keane. wrote:Unfortunately, random people are beginning to tow police vehicles around. Despite how unrealistic it is, we've had to deal with it in-character recently. I'll just need to clarify what charges can be issued if any. I'll give a few example situations.

John and Jane Doe are driving up Main Street with a marked car hooked to the back of their tow truck. The department that owns the marked car did not give consent for them to tow it. They use their right to remain silent and don't provide a reason for towing the vehicle. What would be the correct charges, if any?

John and Jane Doe strike again, but this time decide to tow abandoned LSPD cars to the parking lot of the SMB station. Upon being detained, they say that they have towed five cruisers back to the station because they were abandoned. How could they be charged in this situation?

Impersonation of a government employee due to the following clause:
A person who pretends or implies the role of a government worker, such as a peace officer, paramedic, tax collector, federal investigator, or other official.

In this case, by towing a vehicle that is government property without being a registered impounder they are implying that they are a government agent. This is, however, an interesting scenario open to interpretation. It's too simple to be grand theft auto.
Except they're not impounding it, they're towing it. So it's not really saying they're an impounder if they're just removing it from being parked and abandoned somewhere. Personally if they're just taking it to a precinct as I said before, I'd leave it. But if they're obviously toying around with it, charge them.
Marauder Event Team Assistant
Head of Media/News Team Level 1 Admin
Faction Management • State Assembly
Marissa Hazeldine
#SometimesI'mAlsoALawyer

Marco_Maverick
Civilian
Civilian
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 12:13 am

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by Marco_Maverick » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:58 am

Would not paying the fee to the toll booth count as Tax Evasion?
(13)02. Tax Evasion*** ↑
A person, officer, or employee of an organization that fails to pay any appropriate fees or taxes liened against themselves or an agency they are an executive to.
A person who intentionally avoids or attempts to avoid tax or fee payments to the state.
This does not apply for fees that would fall under (4)02. Failure To Pay A Fine.
This charge may only be authorized by the Attorney General or a warrant by the Chief Justice.
- Penal Code (2)14 is a felony punishable by 120 minutes (2 hours) imprisonment and appropriation of all due taxes
For example:
Person A pays for the toll booth at the LS-LV highway to open. The toll remains open and is in the process of closing but Person B zooms past before it fully closes without paying the toll guard.

User avatar
Imperium
- Silver Member -
- Silver Member -
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:41 pm
Ingame name: Sophie Thyne
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by Imperium » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Marco_Maverick wrote:For example:
Person A pays for the toll booth at the LS-LV highway to open. The toll remains open and is in the process of closing but Person B zooms past before it fully closes without paying the toll guard.
In this situation I'd have to argue that the toll is $50 to open the booth for 6 seconds, not $50 per vehicle that passes. So basically, that $50 is paid by person A to open the toll for 6 seconds - it's fair game once it's open.

Even then, if it's $50 for one vehicle to pass, I could see how it could be argued to be Tax Evasion, but currently it's very, very unlikely that anybody could be prosecuted for it, unless they specifically roleplayed years of toll tax evasion that amounted to a high amount of money. Nobody is going to care about $50, especially not in the current economic climate.
ARKADY KRUSHENKO



Deputy Attorney General Sophie Thyne
San Andreas Department of Justice
26 June 2016 — PRESENT

JOIN THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE DISCORD SERVER
https://discord.gg/99PJUC3

User avatar
MoralesLSRP
Wannabe Don
Wannabe Don
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:21 am

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by MoralesLSRP » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:27 am

Arkady Krushenko wrote:
Marco_Maverick wrote:For example:
Person A pays for the toll booth at the LS-LV highway to open. The toll remains open and is in the process of closing but Person B zooms past before it fully closes without paying the toll guard.
In this situation I'd have to argue that the toll is $50 to open the booth for 6 seconds, not $50 per vehicle that passes. So basically, that $50 is paid by person A to open the toll for 6 seconds - it's fair game once it's open.

Even then, if it's $50 for one vehicle to pass, I could see how it could be argued to be Tax Evasion, but currently it's very, very unlikely that anybody could be prosecuted for it, unless they specifically roleplayed years of toll tax evasion that amounted to a high amount of money. Nobody is going to care about $50, especially not in the current economic climate.
Should probably just get it clarified in written law that it is $50 to open the toll for six seconds rather than $50 per vehicle. This isn't the first time I've seen people ask about this. I'd recommend just adding a side note to tax evasion's description clarifying it.

User avatar
tagtag
The Procurer
The Procurer
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by tagtag » Tue May 02, 2017 12:41 am

Keane. wrote:Unfortunately, random people are beginning to tow police vehicles around. Despite how unrealistic it is, we've had to deal with it in-character recently. I'll just need to clarify what charges can be issued if any. I'll give a few example situations.

John and Jane Doe are driving up Main Street with a marked car hooked to the back of their tow truck. The department that owns the marked car did not give consent for them to tow it. They use their right to remain silent and don't provide a reason for towing the vehicle. What would be the correct charges, if any?

John and Jane Doe strike again, but this time decide to tow abandoned LSPD cars to the parking lot of the SMB station. Upon being detained, they say that they have towed five cruisers back to the station because they were abandoned. How could they be charged in this situation?
LEOs should not leave their cars lying around in middle of the street either.
Towing a car you do not have permission to tow should be GTA. Personally I think it's okay if they're towing it a few feet to park it properly on the sidewalk or such if it is clearly in the way. Towing it further would definitely be wrong, because a cop on a foot pursuit might be on his way back to it and find himself stranded. Even when clearly abandoned, there should be infrastructure in place and unrelated civilians should not be touching those cars.
That said, stop leaving your vehicles lying around
Image

User avatar
White.
Gangster
Gangster
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:17 am
Contact:

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by White. » Sun May 07, 2017 8:19 pm

How i can suggest new penal code?

danielswe
Mafia
Mafia
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by danielswe » Mon May 08, 2017 7:26 pm

White. wrote:How i can suggest new penal code?
They will make a topic for suggestions. But since the 2016 version was delayed several months, then I don't think the suggestions topic will be made anytime soon.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

User avatar
Ward
Mafia
Mafia
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by Ward » Mon May 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Or you could approach it from an IC position and propose a bill to the legistlature. Probably would be implemented a lot sooner than the annual OOC update.

User avatar
White.
Gangster
Gangster
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:17 am
Contact:

Re: [Discussions / Questions] San Andreas Penal Code

Post by White. » Tue May 09, 2017 12:39 pm

Thank you for your answer.

Post Reply

Return to “Laws & Acts of San Andreas”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests